[comp.unix.i386] Are these ISC X11 problems fixed?

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (08/28/90)

I have a few problems with the current ISC X11 stuff.  I'm running ISC X
1.0, and I know it's at least one rev behind. I wonder about newer
Interactive X11 versions.  Specifically:

  o My Caps lock and Num lock appear to have no effect.  My meager
research (using xev) seems to indicate they're mapped to the right
keysyms.

  o Another keyboard shortcoming is that each key on my 101-key
keyboard is not uniquely identifiable.  For instance, I'd like to bind
the numeric keypad ENTER key differently than the main keyboard ENTER
key.  This does not appear to be possible.

  o The Xvga server (at least) will not believe me when I say I
have a 3-button COMPAQ/PS2 mouse.  /dev/kdmouse seems to properly
report all three buttons when I "od -c /dev/kdmouse".

I'd like to know if later versions of ISC X11 have addressed these.  And
I'd sure be interested in X11R4 too.
--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /

In article <21681@grebyn.com> ckp@grebyn.UUCP (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
>I have a few problems with the current ISC X11 stuff.  I'm running ISC X
>1.0, and I know it's at least one rev behind. I wonder about newer
>Interactive X11 versions.  Specifically:

The current release is 1.2

>  o My Caps lock and Num lock appear to have no effect.  My meager
>research (using xev) seems to indicate they're mapped to the right
>keysyms.

Fixed in 1.1.  Don't know about the rest of your problems.

>I'd like to know if later versions of ISC X11 have addressed these.  And
>I'd sure be interested in X11R4 too.

Not yet.  Anyway, the big plus for X11r4 is the optimized server which is
something ISC has already done with X11r3, so there won't be a big advantage
with going to X11r4.  I believe they (ISC) will be adding X11r4 functionality
to thier servers as time permits.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (08/30/90)

In article <1990Aug29.111938.487@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>In article <21681@grebyn.com> ckp@grebyn.UUCP (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
>>  o My Caps lock and Num lock appear to have no effect.  My meager
>>research (using xev) seems to indicate they're mapped to the right
>>keysyms.
>
>Fixed in 1.1.  Don't know about the rest of your problems.

	That's good to hear.

>Anyway, the big plus for X11r4 is the optimized server which is
>something ISC has already done with X11r3, so there won't be a big advantage
>with going to X11r4.

	Are you kidding me? Or is the 1.1 and 1.2 server much faster
than the 1.0 servers?  Circle and arc drawing are pretty slow (so I
don't ever do them if I can help it; I never run xeyes because of
this), and if you set your root window to a pixmap of any size other
than 16x16 you get to watch the background repaint for *countable*
*seconds* when you shuffle windows.  This I do not call optimized,
especially when I've written some routines like this for an Motorola
6809 which were faster.

If this is better in 1.1 and 1.2, then ignore this diatribe...
--

gaf@uucs1.UUCP (gaf) (09/01/90)

In article <21725@grebyn.com> ckp@grebyn.UUCP (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:

>	Are you kidding me? Or is the 1.1 and 1.2 server much faster
>than the 1.0 servers?

I didn't see the original posting so I don't know which server you're
referring to.  If you're using a VGA, yes, it's slow.  I haven't seen a
VGA server yet, from *any* vendor, that was "fast enough" on bitblt
operations (we have VGA servers for 286 DOS systems, too).  I don't know
why this is, but it seems to be universal.

Our 386 systems running Interactive Unix got upgraded to 8514A boards and
servers.  They're "fast enough".  Our DOS systems got DGIS boards and
servers from GSS.

--
Guy Finney					It's that feeling of deja-vu
UUCS inc.   Phoenix, Az				all over again.