[comp.unix.i386] Which Unix to Buy?

edevin@corwin.CCS.Northeastern.EDU (ted devin) (08/24/90)

I am going to be purchasing a 386 unix soon for a 386SX system with 4 Megs
RAM and about 180M of disk.  The issues in order of importance:
	- Compatibility
	  I am going to be compiling NNTP and Cnews on this system, and maybe
	  some mail software.  When I tell the program to configure itself
	  as SYSV, I want SYSV.  I have tried Xenix/286 on a 286 and found
	  it a major hassle.

	  It also must be able to handle two RLL disk drives, using an
	  Aptec controller.  This is a must.

	  It also should handle multi-port I/O cards pretty well, but this
	  isn't essensial.

	- Price
	  I would like to make this a economical as possible.  This is
	  only a minor point.  A couple hundred dollars is 'minor'.  Several
	  hundred to a thousand is not.

Post or e-mail is fine with me.  Any suggestion will be graciously accepted.
Thanks in advance.

+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 |                           | bill@polygen.com            |
+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (08/26/90)

edevin@corwin.CCS.Northeastern.EDU (ted devin) writes:
>	- Price
>	  I would like to make this a economical as possible.  This is
>	  only a minor point.  A couple hundred dollars is 'minor'.  Several
>	  hundred to a thousand is not.

If you think you're going to get off for a "few hundred" for a complete
UNIX OS, then you're only kidding yourself. Most UNIX OS's (XENIX, ESIX, etc)
run over $500 for the OS.

In order to make your budget, it looks like you need to buy something used.

MD

--
-- Michael P. Deignan, President     -- Small Business Systems, Inc. --
-- Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com       -- Box 17220, Esmond, RI 02917  --

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (08/28/90)

In article <2743@anomaly.sbs.com> mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:
>edevin@corwin.CCS.Northeastern.EDU (ted devin) writes:
>>	- Price
>>	  I would like to make this a economical as possible.  This is
>>	  only a minor point.  A couple hundred dollars is 'minor'.  Several
>>	  hundred to a thousand is not.
>
>If you think you're going to get off for a "few hundred" for a complete
>UNIX OS, then you're only kidding yourself. Most UNIX OS's (XENIX, ESIX, etc)
>run over $500 for the OS.

At the risk of anticipating Ted's own response --

I think it's clear from context that he is saying a couple of hundred
dollars' DIFFERENCE in price is a minor point -- not that he expects to
pay a couple of hundred, total.

--
"I feel like I know her, but sometimes        /\/\    Tom Neff
my arms bend back." -- Laura's dream cousin  / /  \   tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM

calhoun@usaos.UUCP (Warren D. Calhoun) (08/28/90)

*
* If you think you're going to get off for a "few hundred" for a complete
* UNIX OS, then you're only kidding yourself. Most UNIX OS's (XENIX, ESIX, etc)
* run over $500 for the OS.
*
* In order to make your budget, it looks like you need to buy something used.
*
I just bought SCO ODT (limited user) for $680.00.  While I was negotiating, I
was offered the SCO System V 3.2 (also limited user) for $387.00.  Shopping
the VARs and informing them of the budget restriction can sometimes net you
a savings.  Considering that even at ~$400.00, there is still more than a
100% profit margin (discounting R&D), this is still not a bad deal for SCO or
for the reseller.  It is also more than $200.00 better than SCO's listed retail
price.
--
| SSG W.D. Calhoun                  |       UUCP: ...!uunet!usaos!calhoun    |
| Gas Turbine Engine (52F) Branch   |   INTERNET: calhoun%usaos@uunet.uu.net |

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (09/02/90)

In article <2743@anomaly.sbs.com> mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:
>edevin@corwin.CCS.Northeastern.EDU (ted devin) writes:
>>	- Price
>>	  I would like to make this a economical as possible.  This is
>>	  only a minor point.  A couple hundred dollars is 'minor'.  Several
>>	  hundred to a thousand is not.
>
>If you think you're going to get off for a "few hundred" for a complete
>UNIX OS, then you're only kidding yourself. Most UNIX OS's (XENIX, ESIX, etc)
>run over $500 for the OS.
No, I think I wrote it wrong.  What I meant to say was different.  When I
wrote this article (by the way from a differnet Usenet site) the most
important issue is compatibility with SYSV.  The next is price.  If one
Unix (ISC for example) is as compatible as I want, and so is AT&T even a little
more so, then I will buy AT&T only if the price difference between them is
a few hundred dollars.  I won't buy the slightly more compatible one if
its a few thousands dollars DIFFERENCE.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Also, I don't remember If I mentioned this, but my Unix must work with
	WD1006-SVR2 (RLL) controller
	Zeos 386SX Motherboard

Also I want experiences with compiling NNTP, Cnews, and a news reader.
Please include Unix type, ethernet board/TCP/IP sofware.