[comp.unix.i386] Copying DOS files to SCO UNIX

chuck@uswat.UUCP (Chuck Luciano) (08/23/90)

I will be bringing up SCO UNIX on my 386sx at home as soon as the %^&#*#&
vendor gets it to me, and I have a couple of basic questions:

     Can I copy files from DOS diskettes to unix? This is how I plan to
   get gnu software to the machine.

     Is VPIX worth the $$$.

     Can I still boot DOS without a boot floppy?

     How much disk space will I really need for UNIX/Dev kit.

     I am running a 16mhz 386sx with two seagate 42mb drives (1-38ms,
   & 1-28ms).

     This is not specifically a UNIX ? but I'll ask anyway. I have been
   told that an IDE drive connects to a mfm controller. Is this true?

     Can I run IDE and MFM together?

     Will SCO UNIX support a mountain filesafe qic-40 type tape drive?

     What is the general opinion on SCO vs all the others? (No net.wars
   please!) Please keep in mind that I got SCO at a pretty low price.

Chuck Luciano
On contract at U.S. West Advanced Technologies
303-921-9113

smwong@hantsu.enet.dec.com (Stephen Wong) (08/24/90)

In article <10558@uswat.UUCP>, chuck@uswat.UUCP (Chuck Luciano) writes:
|> I will be bringing up SCO UNIX on my 386sx at home as soon as the %^&#*#&
|> vendor gets it to me, and I have a couple of basic questions:
|>
|>      Can I copy files from DOS diskettes to unix? This is how I plan to
|>    get gnu software to the machine.

Yes, you can user doscp command to copy MS-DOS files to/from Unix file system.

|>      Is VPIX worth the $$$.

DOS-merge is generally better than VPIX, no flame please!!

|>      Can I still boot DOS without a boot floppy?

Yes, when your hard disk boots, type DOS at the prompt will get you to MS-DOS
partition on hard disk.

|>      How much disk space will I really need for UNIX/Dev kit.

100MB in my opinion is minimum for serious development project.

|>      I am running a 16mhz 386sx with two seagate 42mb drives (1-38ms,
|>    & 1-28ms).
|>
|>      This is not specifically a UNIX ? but I'll ask anyway. I have been
|>    told that an IDE drive connects to a mfm controller. Is this true?
|>
|>      Can I run IDE and MFM together?

If you can set your MFM controller to use secondary I/O port, int 15 and disable
its on-board floppy controller if any, then you can run IDE host adapter and MFM
controller together.

|>      Will SCO UNIX support a mountain filesafe qic-40 type tape drive?

SCO UNIX supports QIC-40 compatible floppy controller type tape drive.

|>      What is the general opinion on SCO vs all the others? (No net.wars
|>    please!) Please keep in mind that I got SCO at a pretty low price.

I don't want to get in any war, no answer sorry!

|> Chuck Luciano
|> On contract at U.S. West Advanced Technologies
|> 303-921-9113

I'm not speaking for SCO anyway.

stephen@hantsq.enet.dec.com

In article <1990Aug24.122452@hantsu.enet.dec.com> stephen@hantsq.enet.dec.com (Stephen Wong) writes:

| |>      Is VPIX worth the $$$.
|
| DOS-merge is generally better than VPIX, no flame please!!

  Since I run both, I can tell you that the choice is clear, you run
both. The performance of VP/ix is far better in graphics modes when
running direct to the screen. Programs which write screen direct run
much faster under VP/ix. On the other hand, when you want to run DOS in
an X-window, a prime thing to do for me, you use merge.

  I think I would use VP/ix if I had to choose, but they both have their
strong points.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

wnp@iiasa.AT (wolf paul) (08/31/90)

)
)  Since I run both, I can tell you that the choice is clear, you run
)both. The performance of VP/ix is far better in graphics modes when
)running direct to the screen. Programs which write screen direct run
)much faster under VP/ix. On the other hand, when you want to run DOS in
)an X-window, a prime thing to do for me, you use merge.
)
)  I think I would use VP/ix if I had to choose, but they both have their
)strong points.

Is it possible to run both on the same system, i.e. can they both
co-exist under, say, ISC 386/ix 2.2?? And if so, where does one get
Merge for ISC?

--
Wolf N. Paul, IIASA, A - 2361 Laxenburg, Austria, Europe
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465     FAX: +43-2236-71313      UUCP: uunet!iiasa.at!wnp

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (09/02/90)

In article <865@iiasa.UUCP> wnp@iiasa.UUCP (wolf paul) writes:
>In article <1635@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>)| DOS-merge is generally better than VPIX, no flame please!!

>Is it possible to run both on the same system, i.e. can they both
>co-exist under, say, ISC 386/ix 2.2?? And if so, where does one get
>Merge for ISC?                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sorry, the answer is nowhere, you can't get Locus' Merge for Interactive,
it requires a great deal of code in the kernel to support it. Locus did
the code in SCO's 3.2 kernel for Merge support. Now since VPiX is ISC's
own product I doubt very much whether they would be interested in providing
a competitor's product :-}.

Disclaimer: I don't speak for LCC.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (09/04/90)

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) writes:

>Sorry, the answer is nowhere, you can't get Locus' Merge for Interactive,
>it requires a great deal of code in the kernel to support it. Locus did
>the code in SCO's 3.2 kernel for Merge support. Now since VPiX is ISC's
>own product I doubt very much whether they would be interested in providing
>a competitor's product :-}.

As it turns out, SCO licenses VP/ix from Interactive (who developed VP/ix
with Phoenix) and makes it available for both Xenix and UNIX. They also,
as I understand it, license Lachman's TCP/IP, but Lachman is now part of
Kodak (as is Interactive). According to the ODT Release Notes, both Merge
and VP/ix can be supported. As far as ISC is concerned, however, I suspect
one IS limited to VP/ix alone, as Jack suggests.