[comp.unix.i386] ANSI-C compatible cc in SysV??

rlin@cs.ubc.ca (Robert Lin) (09/03/90)

Is the cc in Interactive System V 3.2 ANSI-C compatible? I tested cc
on a small program with function prototyping ANSI style, and cc promptly
choked. Looking through the cc man page reveals no special switch for
ANSI C compatibility.

Am I missing something really fundamental here?

Second question, is it possible get allow root to log into a virtual
terminal, instead of being restricted to using the console?

-Robert Lin

art@pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson) (09/04/90)

In article <9395@ubc-cs.UUCP> rlin@cs.ubc.ca (Robert Lin) writes:
>Is the cc in Interactive System V 3.2 ANSI-C compatible? I tested cc
>on a small program with function prototyping ANSI style, and cc promptly
>choked. Looking through the cc man page reveals no special switch for
>ANSI C compatibility.

Well, this depends on which version if ISC UNIX you are running.  The
answer is no for releases earlier than 2.2.  Release 2.2 comes with
LPI C, which they call "New C".  Unfortunately I don't recommend using
lpicc as it has quite a number of problems.  You'd be much better off
getting the latest incarnation of the GNU C compiler, available from
many ftp sites and public access UNIX systems. GNU C is fully ANSI
compliant, and generates pretty tight 386 code.

>Second question, is it possible get allow root to log into a virtual
>terminal, instead of being restricted to using the console?

Comment out the line in /etc/default/login which reads:

CONSOLE=/dev/console

You can comment it out by putting a '#' before the 'C' in CONSOLE.

While you are at it, you may want to change:

ALTSHELL=NO to ALTSHELL=YES

and set ULIMIT=4096 to ULIMIT=nnnnn

Where nnnnn is some large number like 32767.
--
Arthur W. Neilson III		| ARPA: art@pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pegasus!pilikia!art

shj@login.dkuug.dk (Stig Jacobsen) (09/04/90)

rlin@cs.ubc.ca (Robert Lin) writes:

>Is the cc in Interactive System V 3.2 ANSI-C compatible?

Nope. You may want to install gcc, so that you can use prototypes. It
does not include an ANSI library, however.

>Second question, is it possible get allow root to log into a virtual
>terminal, instead of being restricted to using the console?

If you comment out the CONSOLE line in /etc/default/login with
'#', you can login as root on any terminal, including vt*.
--
Stig Jacobsen
shj@login.dkuug.dk

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (09/04/90)

rlin@cs.ubc.ca (Robert Lin) writes:

>Is the cc in Interactive System V 3.2 ANSI-C compatible? I tested cc
>on a small program with function prototyping ANSI style, and cc promptly
>choked. Looking through the cc man page reveals no special switch for
>ANSI C compatibility.

	No, ISC's standard compiler is *not* ANSI compliant, though the
2.2 compiler includes a POSIX option. Works fine. They do include the LPI
New C compiler which constitutes their ANSI offering, but I never got it
to work right. Since I do so much work with (Uncle) Sam, having a robust
POSIX system is more critical to me than having ANSI.

	While on the subject, binaries compiled under ISC with the POSIX
flag will NOT run under SCO ODT 1.0 or Xenix/386. Is that proper behavior?
Some sort of startup check must be taking place, since all I get on those
non-ISC platforms is something like "POSIX not supported".