[comp.unix.i386] Which 386 UNIX binaries run on which 386 UNIXs ?

exnirad@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Nirad Sharma) (09/03/90)

I am running SCO XENIX 2.3.2 ('386 version) and am wondering if some binaries
from an ESIX system will run on my system, more specifically gcc, emacs and
X11R4 as found at 36.102.0.32 (I got the site from an article posted here).

Furthermore, could someone please explain whose binaries run on whose 386-UNIXs?

Thanks for any help.

Nirad Sharma  (exnirad@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au)
Continuing Education Unit
The University of Queensland
AUSTRALIA

mckim@mildred.lerc.nasa.gov (Jim McKim) (09/06/90)

In article <1990Sep3.095529.29411@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au> exnirad@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Nirad Sharma) writes:
>I am running SCO XENIX 2.3.2 ('386 version) and am wondering if some binaries
>from an ESIX system will run on my system, more specifically gcc, emacs and
>X11R4 as found at 36.102.0.32 (I got the site from an article posted here).
>
>Furthermore, could someone please explain whose binaries run on whose 386-UNIXs?

There have been comments here recently that ESIX binaries don't run well
under IX.  I tried running some on a system here (Intel) - no luck.
I get a "bad system call" error.  It looks like ESIX has some additional or
different system calls in their kernel that aren't in other 386 unixes.  The
effect seems to be: ESIX will probably run other ABI conformant binaries but
stuff created under ESIX is not so portable (GRRR!).

Somebody let me know if I am wrong.
--
Jim McKim  /  Internet: mckim@mildred.lerc.nasa.gov		"" -