[gnu.g++.lib.bug] stdio.h problems on i386-sysv

joerg.winckler@ruf.uni-freiburg.dbp.de (02/06/90)

I try to install libg++.a version 1.36.2 on a Intel 386 system V Rel.3.2.
The /usr/include/stdio.h defines _bufendtab as 'unsigned char*', while
g++-include file stdio.h says the type is 'char*'. This causes some
warnings about assinging signed char pointers to unsigned char pointers
in File.cc and streambuf.cc. The result:
The program 'Hello World' prints only 'Hld' and a newline.
I tried to cast the pointers but this wasn't the solution.

Does anybody know a workaround ??

Please email !!!! (For some articles I never reach an answer (:-() )

Thanks in advance...

Joerg Winckler

+ Joerg Winckler, University of Freiburg, West Germany
+ email:winckler@ruf.uni-freiburg.de
+ X400:joerg.winckler@ruf.uni-freiburg.dbp.de

rfg@ics.uci.edu (Ron Guilmette) (02/08/90)

In article <36:joerg.winckler@ruf.uni-freiburg.dbp.de> joerg.winckler@ruf.uni-freiburg.dbp.de writes:
>I try to install libg++.a version 1.36.2 on a Intel 386 system V Rel.3.2.
>The /usr/include/stdio.h defines _bufendtab as 'unsigned char*', while
>g++-include file stdio.h says the type is 'char*'. This causes some
>warnings about assinging signed char pointers to unsigned char pointers
>in File.cc and streambuf.cc. The result:
>The program 'Hello World' prints only 'Hld' and a newline.
>I tried to cast the pointers but this wasn't the solution.
>
>Does anybody know a workaround ??

I had the exact same problem.

I think that Doug Lea fixed that (at my request) in 1.36.3.

>Please email !!!! (For some articles I never reach an answer (:-() )

I did that too.

// rfg

rfg@ics.uci.edu (Ron Guilmette) (02/08/90)

In article <36:joerg.winckler@ruf.uni-freiburg.dbp.de> joerg.winckler@ruf.uni-freiburg.dbp.de writes:
>I try to install libg++.a version 1.36.2 on a Intel 386 system V Rel.3.2.
>The /usr/include/stdio.h defines _bufendtab as 'unsigned char*', while
>g++-include file stdio.h says the type is 'char*'. This causes some
>warnings about assinging signed char pointers to unsigned char pointers
>in File.cc and streambuf.cc. The result:
>The program 'Hello World' prints only 'Hld' and a newline.
>I tried to cast the pointers but this wasn't the solution.
>
>Does anybody know a workaround ??

OOPS! I goofed.  I should have said that I had a *similar* problem with
type mismatches.

I didn't have a problem of losing output though.  That is a horse of a
different color.

// rfg