[apple.general] More on Jasmine Drives

People following the Jasmine discussion a few weeks ago (has it been that
long? How time flies when you're hard disk is down...) might remember that
my disk crashed and I sent it to Jasmine for repair.

Today (three weeks later) I get the estimate for repair. Actually, there
were two estimates: $393 and $425. Jasmine called back and tried to increase
the repair while ComputerWare was trying to contact me.

Imagine this. They want $400 to repair a disk that's maybe three months out
of warranty that I can buy for $550 new. And it only took them three weeks
to let me know.

You can imagine my response. I won't repeat it because this is a family
network. However, I did *not* authorize repair and they're shipping my new
doorstop back to me.

I have, for a long time, been a strong Jasmine supporter. This dead disk, in
fact, was my third Jasmine. It's my last. Charging 75% of the retail price
for a repair is beyond stupid, it's criminal -- especially since Jasmine
won't sell parts to dealers. There is only one place to get Jasmine gear
serviced and they obviously know it.

Rather than continue to support this kind of corporate nastiness, I'm
declaring the drive dead and buried and I'll start over with something else.
People considering Jasmine hardware should consider this -- if it breaks,
how much will it cost you to fix it?

If there's someone out there who's a good hardware hacker and wants to take
a chance, I have a non-working hard disk (Jasmine 20, new style with
Driveware software and manual, non-functional) that you can have for $100
(or make me an offer). Anything to get it out of my sight.

chuq (just sign me disgusted)

Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq@apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

You are false data. Therefore I shall ignore you.

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (07/14/89)

One thing that may be reason for Jasmine to charge so much: was the
problem a bad drive mechanism? The mechanism is most of the drive's
materials cost, and while I have no idea how much the mechanism
manufacturer charges Jasmine, it's probably several hundred.

Mechanisms can sometimes be repaired, but it's a chancy operation
and often winds up costing more than a new mechanism.

Not that any of this is any comfort, but it may help explain why
the repair charge is so huge. (I will say that if a drive's only
three months out of warranty, I'd prefer to replace the mechanism
for free or at a loss, rather than alienate a customer. But that's
just me.)

====== jeanne a. e. devoto =================================================
 Usenet: jdevoto@apple.com  |  You may not distribute this article under a
         jdevoto@well.UUCP  |  compilation copyright without my permission.
 Disclaimer: I doubt anyone in Apple Corporate  |  CI$ 72411,165
 knows what Usenet is, let alone what I post.   |

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (07/14/89)

In article <33121@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>People following the Jasmine discussion a few weeks ago (has it been that
>long? How time flies when you're hard disk is down...) might remember that
>my disk crashed and I sent it to Jasmine for repair.
>
>Today (three weeks later) I get the estimate for repair. Actually, there
>were two estimates: $393 and $425. Jasmine called back and tried to increase
>the repair while ComputerWare was trying to contact me.
>
>Imagine this. They want $400 to repair a disk that's maybe three months out
>of warranty that I can buy for $550 new. And it only took them three weeks
>to let me know.

Don't get too riled about this. That would border on hypocrrisy. Apple's
service providers aren't that much better in terms of timeliness or price.
Coupled with our sub-average 90-day waranty, and customers are pretty pissed
off at us, too.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

>Today (three weeks later) I get the estimate for repair.

>You can imagine my response. I won't repeat it because this is a family
>network. However, I did *not* authorize repair and they're shipping my new
>doorstop back to me.

I know this is getting depressing (or at least boring) but to keep people
informed -- Jasmine was informed monday to return the drive to ComputerWare
unrepaired. They confirmed that it was shipped monday. It is now Friday, and
ComputerWare hasn't seen it yet (they warned me about this. "shipped today"
implies it was sent to shipping -- where it's been known to sit for up to
two weeks).

So my drive has been dead over a month, is still dead, will be dead
indefinitely, and I don't even know when I'll get it back because it's lost
in some pigeonhole at Jasmine. I'm glad that disk drives aren't a critical
part of a computer system. If I was depending on this for my livelihood, I
might be upset.