[apple.general] My Final Jasmine Doorstop message

There's finally been a resolution to my ongoing hassles with my Jasmine hard
disk. For those with short memories, here's what happened: in early June, my
Jasmine 20 died. It got sent to Jasmine for repair via ComputerWare. Three
weeks later, I got an estimate of $395 for a disk that I could buy for $450.
Needless, I turned down the repair and asked them to ship the doorstop back.
They confirmed shipment that same day.

Here it is, a little over four weeks later, and the hard disk finally
arrives (four weeks via UPS from San Francisco to Palo Alto. What a
country!). Here's the *really* run part. The disk that they sent back was
not the disk that I sent in for repair. This disk is the old-style metal
case 20 meg, not the new-style plastic case DriveWare. And this disk works.

Anyway, it took over nine weeks from the day I sent it in to repair to the
day I got it back. From everyone I talked to, this kind of stuff isn't
unusual with Jasmine these days, either.

This is not the company I want to rely on for my data (besides, since I had
to get work done in the meantime, I took the crash as an omen and bought a
Mac2). So I now have a surplus 20 meg hard disk (in shipping box, with SCSI
and Power cable *and* the original Jasmine formatter disk, but no manuals).
First $350 can have it (for apple folks, I'm in DA6. It'll be at work with
me Friday morning if someone's interested). Either email me here or call
408-974-0797.

chuq

Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq@apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

rekieta@apple.com (Paul Rekieta) (08/21/89)

In article <34093@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach)
writes:
> There's finally been a resolution to my ongoing hassles with my Jasmine
hard
> disk. For those with short memories, here's what happened: in early June
> [more stuff about Jasmine problems]
> First $350 can have it

Your repair saga was not a very good sales pitch.

Paul Rekieta
Communications Product Development
Apple Computer, Inc.