[net.auto] id AA01174; Fri, 16 Mar 84 08:20:02 est

lisa@tesla.UUCP (Lisa Eldridge) (03/16/84)

Date: Fri, 16 Mar 84 08:20:02 est
From: lisa (Lisa Eldridge)
To: auto@net
Subject: buying cars in Japan

It's quite possible to buy both used and new cars in Japan and use
them there - but probably impossible to bring them back.  I tried
this with a motorcycle a few years ago and discovered the red tape
was fantastic.  There are several differences between this situation
and that of the Europeans:
1. There are no (or few) shippers willing to handle small cargoes
transPacific

2. The Japanese control their exports VERY strictly and each car maker
has a given number to export (this predated the American import controls,
and rather makes sure that all exporters have a reasonably fair
share of the export market, rather than limiting the absolute
number of exports).

3. Due to the abaove, I doubt whether a Japanese maker would
even sell you a car to US specs

4. Due to the Japanese abhorrence of old technology, I doubt you could
find a pre-1972 importable non-US model

5. Another reason for (4) is that there is a very strict
safety inspection for cars every two years, which tends to limit the
number of old ones around.

On the other hand, if traveling in Japan you could
rent a car; buy one and sell it back (new cars in Japan are really
very cheap--even Detroit hasn't accused the Japanese of "dumpi g"
cars here--I saw a new Civic, rather a basic model, for a littale
/
///little less than $4K last year) or buy or rent a motorcycle (and
don't expect to bring IT back either).  Motorcycles are somewhat
more expensive in Japan than here, but are really a logical means
of travel because they are faster than cars in cities and a lot
easier to park.  The Japanese have to have an overnight parking
space (off the sidewalk) for every car registered; but bikes can
be parked on the sidewalk.  Well, athere \\\there are
precious few Harleys there to worry about blocking the sidewalk...
Insurance rates rise very sharply above 400cc; helmets are required; it
seems to me tjat that there's much more tolerance of bikes
by car drivers there (much higher bike populatio9n than here, per
mile of road); and theft is not widespread.  You see a lot of
American GIs on the road in bike groups, too.

An excellent guidebook called "Japan-a Travel Survival Kit" discusses
some of these questions.  I rented a bike and traveled around some
in Japan in 1982--it was great fun, perfect for the small roads and
small villages, and an adventure to navigate by counting the
number of street-0corners on city maps (road signs are Romanized
only on the superhighways and in major cities).

Incidentally there are no "freeways"-It cost me about $10 to travel
about 200km on a 250cc bike once.

Good luck, learn some Kanji, and show the Japanese we can do it
(their natural assumption will be that only Japanese are capable
of driving in Japan)

Jeff Frey