[comp.sys.cdc] VE on a MIPS box

lusol@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (04/12/90)

Rob Peglar says:

>According to Dave Folsom, who I consider a friend (if not a co-worker
>any more  :-)) there "is some work being put into VE on the MIPS
>platforms"  (paraphrased quotation)
Watch out Unices.  :-).

>Plus, the guy who's doing the work is a long-time CDCer and no doubt
>would do a very good job.
I'm down to 50 hpw, where do I sign up?

Dave Christie says:

>architecture.  All the components of a task's address space that partition
>so nicely into segments - code, libraries, stack, working storage, files,
>etc. - would all have to be smooshed into windows in one flat 2GB address
>space.
Yes, it will be difficult to smoosh a NOS/VE task's 48 bit PVA (Process Virtual
Address) space of 8.8 trillion bytes into a 2 billion byte space!  And what
about the 16 rings...  The 386 at least supported 4 rings, if I remember
correctly (which I probably do not).

Steve Lidie
Lehigh University Computing Center

LUSOL@CDC1.CC.Lehigh.EDU

davec@proton.amd.com (Dave Christie) (04/12/90)

In article <10127.262384ad@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu> lusol@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu writes:

| Yes, it will be difficult to smoosh a NOS/VE task's 48 bit PVA (Process Virtual
| Address) space of 8.8 trillion bytes into a 2 billion byte space!  And what
| about the 16 rings...  The 386 at least supported 4 rings, if I remember
| correctly (which I probably do not).
|
| Steve Lidie
| Lehigh University Computing Center

I have heard at least one VE developer say that porting VE to the
386 would be doable.  (He might have used the word "trivial", but
then, he's not your average programmer. He can also be prone to
hyperbole ;-).

It does have four rings of protection (although I'm not sure if they
provide the same degree of protection between the user and OS),
not to mention a segmented (in a twisted sort of way) address space.
Even in a stripped-down 1-6 user version one would probably need
fairly large real memory (8+ MB ?) plus more than your average amount
of disk space.  And a 386 might not have quite enough horsepower for
it to make sense.  A 486 might be a different story, however....

It's a shame CDC hasn't published more about VE & 180.  I don't think
anyone except CDC and VE users has a clue about it.

Dave Christie        My opinions only