[comp.sys.cdc] TXED

afsipmh@cid.aes.doe.CA (Patrick Hertel) (05/31/90)

In article <859@halley.UUCP> tjd@foghorn.Berkeley.EDU (Tom Davidson) writes:
>In article <30@rembrandt.UUCP>, jxh@rembrandt.UUCP (Jim Hickstein) writes:
>
>> Remember TXED, the nifty line-oriented editor from Columbia that ran on
>> at least NOS 1?  I have an old manual that says "D. Wolansky, [circa] 1973"
>> on it.  This was quite an editor, and had (has?) many features I miss, such
>> as the AROUND command:
>
>Small correction here. TXED was written by Dan in the early seventies. It was
>originally written for KRONOS at Sir George Williams University (later
>Concordia University), then updated to run under NOS and NOS/BE. As you
>suggest it was a very powerful editor, but alas is was line mode only. Dan
>and I studied the possibility of converting it to be screen based and
>re-entrant (no small trick for CDC NOS) but alas concluded that some other
>editors in the works (FIX/FUSE) were better. In retrospect- bad choice.

  So its line only D*= any comment like that.; So is sed. I'd give
anything to have my TXED on UNIX. So ER*/those negative sentiments/ go
to it.

--
Pat Hertel                 Canadian Meteorological Centre
Analyst/Programmer         Environment Canada

jjn@hare.udev.cdc.com (jj needham 234-4312) (06/01/90)

In article <1990May31.153610.13084@cid.aes.doe.CA> afsipmh@cid.aes.doe.CA (Patrick Hertel) writes:
>In article <859@halley.UUCP> tjd@foghorn.Berkeley.EDU (Tom Davidson) writes:
>>In article <30@rembrandt.UUCP>, jxh@rembrandt.UUCP (Jim Hickstein) writes:
>>
>>> Remember TXED, the nifty line-oriented editor from Columbia that ran on
>>> at least NOS 1?  I have an old manual that says "D. Wolansky, [circa] 1973"
>>> on it.  This was quite an editor, and had (has?) many features I miss, such
>>> as the AROUND command:
>>
>>Small correction here. TXED was written by Dan in the early seventies. It was
>>originally written for KRONOS at Sir George Williams University (later
>>Concordia University), then updated to run under NOS and NOS/BE. As you
>>suggest it was a very powerful editor, but alas is was line mode only. Dan
    [ deletions]
>--
>Pat Hertel                 Canadian Meteorological Centre
>Analyst/Programmer         Environment Canada
>    "Nobody loves me but my mother and she could be jiving too" - B.B. King

My first job was to work in the systems department at Muliple Access
in Don Mills.  We maintained Dan's TXED on our systems up to NOS 2.3.
Dan left MA about a year before I was hired, but came in around '84
for a few days to help us upgrade it to 2.4.1.  Dan has the copyright
on the source and I think Ian keeps in touch with him.  We thought
about porting it to NOS/VE while in CDC Canada, but never got around to
it.

Jeff (Yet another ex-MA employee)

Disclaimer:				| Jeff Needham
"OK, who left this opinion on the floor?| Oracle Performance Group
BART!", I'm outa here,man.		| Control Data - Santa Clara, CA