[comp.sys.cdc] What class of machine is a Cyber 200?

timv@ccad.uiowa.edu (Timothy VanFosson) (12/01/90)

We have the possiblity of obtaining a Cyber 200 series computer
with a Cyber 18-20 (?) front-end, but I have no idea what this machine
is (exactly), how big it is, or how it compares to other machines
in terms of CPU performance.  The person who is responsible for
surplusing this equipment was of little help.

Anyone out there have any info that might be of help?

Thanks
--tv
--
Timothy VanFosson                   E-mail   : timv@ccad.uiowa.edu
Senior Systems Analyst              US Mail  : CAD-Research

3ksnn64@cidmac.ecn.purdue.edu (Joe Cychosz) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov30.170025.27096@ccad.uiowa.edu> timv@ccad.uiowa.edu (Timothy VanFosson) writes:
>We have the possiblity of obtaining a Cyber 200 series computer
>with a Cyber 18-20 (?) front-end, but I have no idea what this machine
>is (exactly), how big it is, or how it compares to other machines
>in terms of CPU performance.  The person who is responsible for
>surplusing this equipment was of little help.

This is a big/fast machine.  It is a vector processor comparable in speed
to a Cray.

Vector length = 65000
Cycle time    = 20ns
MFLOPS        = 200 (64 bit) 400 (32 bit) assumes 2 pipe machine, maximum
		speed (i.e., long vectors)
MIPS	      = about 60 scalar
Weight	      = about 32,000lbs including peripherials

The computing center here has to of these machinces.
The Cyber 18-20 is used for maintenance, not job entry/etc.

bruce@zuhause.MN.ORG (Bruce Albrecht) (12/04/90)

>In article <1990Nov30.170025.27096@ccad.uiowa.edu> timv@ccad.uiowa.edu (Timothy VanFosson) writes:
>We have the possiblity of obtaining a Cyber 200 series computer
>with a Cyber 18-20 (?) front-end, but I have no idea what this machine
>is (exactly), how big it is, or how it compares to other machines
>in terms of CPU performance.  The person who is responsible for
>surplusing this equipment was of little help.

The Cyber 203 is an older model, and is probably comparable to a Cray 1 (original
version).  The Cyber 205 was newer, and I believe had a rating about 60-100 MFlops
sustained, and 250-500 MFlops peak.
--

bruce@zuhause.mn.org

msp33327@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael S. Pereckas) (12/06/90)

In <1990Nov30.220048.4203@noose.ecn.purdue.edu> 3ksnn64@cidmac.ecn.purdue.edu (Joe Cychosz) writes:

>In article <1990Nov30.170025.27096@ccad.uiowa.edu> timv@ccad.uiowa.edu (Timothy VanFosson) writes:
>>We have the possiblity of obtaining a Cyber 200 series computer

>This is a big/fast machine.  It is a vector processor comparable in speed
>to a Cray.

>Vector length = 65000
>Cycle time    = 20ns
>MFLOPS        = 200 (64 bit) 400 (32 bit) assumes 2 pipe machine, maximum
>		speed (i.e., long vectors)
>MIPS	      = about 60 scalar
>Weight	      = about 32,000lbs including peripherials

Out of curiosity, would anyone happen to know the power consumption?

--

Michael Pereckas               * InterNet: m-pereckas@uiuc.edu *
just another student...          (CI$: 72311,3246)

is@athena.cs.uga.edu ( Bob Stearns) (12/06/90)

As I said in an earlier post, the machine is run from a pair of 80KVA 400 Hz
motor generators; in addition you need power for the disk and tape farms,
air conditioning and water chilling (gallons per second at 47F or 8C). It is
not a cheap machine to run. Further the mandatory hardware maintenance lists
at something like $750K/yr, with software maintenance extra.

dfazio@nachos.SSESCO.com (Dennis Fazio) (12/07/90)

>Out of curiosity, would anyone happen to know the power consumption?

A Cyber 205, depending upon 2 or 4 pipelines, ECL or MOS memory, and
size of memory, dissipated about 30,000 to 45,000 watts tops
(including motor-generators). In a normal installation, your big CDC
or Ibis disk units would eat up most of your electric bill anyway.
The CPU and memory would be a small share of your total power needs.
Most installations had 2 motor-generators for redundancy.
--
Dennis Fazio                     | Internet: dfazio@ssesco.com
SSESCO, Inc.                     | Gabnet:   (612) 342-0003