[comp.sys.cdc] Reading a CDC tape on a unix system

dave@seas.gwu.edu (David M. Owczarek) (04/30/91)

I recently was asked if I could read two CDC tapes on our systems here.
We have a Sun 3/480 (SunOS 4.1), Sun 4-280 (SunOS 4.1.1), HP 9000-835SE
(HP-UX 3.1B), and Alliant FX/8 (Concentrix 5.6.00).  I was also told that
a CDC tape uses either an IBM CMS format or something similar.  I was able
to get a program which reads IBM tapes from uunet.uu.net, but this
program tells me the tape is not IBM format.

Is there a kind sole out there who might be able to suggest:

1) A source for code to read the tape (anonymous ftp)?
2) What the tape format looks like?

I'm sorry the information is sketchy; the guy handed me two 9-track
tapes and told me they were written on a CDC machine, and that he knew
nothing else about it.

Thanks in advance,

-Dave

Dave Owczarek, Operations Team  dave@seas.gwu.edu or uunet!seas.gwu.edu!dave
The George Washington University Engineering Computing Facility,  Wash. D.C.

woolsey@netcom.COM (Jeff Woolsey) (05/01/91)

In article <3134@sparko.gwu.edu> dave@seas.gwu.edu (David M. Owczarek) writes:
>I recently was asked if I could read two CDC tapes on our systems here.

The hardware you listed is capable of it.  The software, however....

CDC machines could be told to write tapes that other machines were
likely to be able to read (such as blocked formats).  If the user
didn't take the trouble to write such formats, you got CDC
internal-format tapes.

The former, anybody can read.  The latter, I can read.
I can do just about anything with CDC-written tapes on Suns, provided
the tapes are old enough.  If they're new, you don't need me.

"Anything" includes cataloging the files there, reading the data,
unpacking archives, unpacking dumps, extracting "decks" from program
libraries, itemizing these things, converting text to ASCII, and even
executing some of the binary programs.

The code (not quite ready for release) to do all this is written in
Modula-3, though there is some basic tape-reading stuff in C still
hanging around.
Jeff Woolsey	Microtec Research, Inc	+1 408 980-1300
woolsey@netcom.COM	...!amdcad!sun0!woolsey

gplan@sun9.aer.com (George A. Planansky) (05/01/91)

In article <3134@sparko.gwu.edu> dave@seas.gwu.edu (David M. Owczarek) writes:

>I recently was asked if I could read two CDC tapes on our systems here.
>We have a Sun 3/480 (SunOS 4.1), Sun 4-280 (SunOS 4.1.1), HP 9000-835SE
>(HP-UX 3.1B), and Alliant FX/8 (Concentrix 5.6.00).  I was also told that
>a CDC tape uses either an IBM CMS format or something similar.  I was able
>to get a program which reads IBM tapes from uunet.uu.net, but this
>program tells me the tape is not IBM format.
>
>Is there a kind sole out there who might be able to suggest:
>
>1) A source for code to read the tape (anonymous ftp)?
>2) What the tape format looks like?

Hmm. *I* was just asked for help reading CDC NOS RECLAIM tapes, on
our system *here*.  We've got Suns and an Alliant, too, but no HP.
Is there something out there for reading these onto Unix machines?

Thanks.

--
George Planansky
Atmospheric & Environmental Research

woolsey@netcom.COM (Jeff Woolsey) (05/05/91)

In article <GPLAN.91May1091034@sun9.aer.com> gplan@sun9.aer.com (George A. Planansky) writes:
>Hmm. *I* was just asked for help reading CDC NOS RECLAIM tapes, on
>our system *here*.

I might be able to read them.  The catch is that I don't know what CDC
called one of the formats I ran across.  I bought some surplus tapes
at what is now known as the Weird Stuff warehouse.  I was going to use
them for scratch, but I thought I'd better examine them first (some had
CDC hubs).  Sure enough, there was a deadstart dump tape, a
blank-labelled tape, and two tapes that held some form of permanent
file archive that was different from the archive tapes I had.  A few
heuristics later I was looking through some flight simulator support
code...  These tapes could have been PFDUMP tapes, or the could have
been these RECLAIM tapes; I just don't know which is which.