[comp.sys.cdc] Name

robp@gumby.network.com (Rob Peglar) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.180846.6779@kithrup.COM> sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:

>One of those lame FidoNet sites is dumping old news articles again; it
>changes the Message-Id and From: line.  The person or program responsible
>also seems to be pretty stupid:  comp.sys.cdc is not about CD's, it's about
>Control Data Corp's systems.

Well, I won't pass judgement so strongly on the unfortunate poster.

I just hope there isn't anything subliminal in the poster's mistake;
thinking comp.sys.cdc is a newsgroup for discussion of compact discs
is either as Sean has it, or the unfortunate lack of public perception
of the three-letter acronym CDC.  I give you that the poster would not
have made the same mistake for a comp.sys.ibm being a newsgroup devoted
to discussion of something other than the computer systems produced by
International Business Machines.

BTW, DAH, how'z MIPS?

Rob

--
Rob Peglar               Network Systems Corporation
Internetwork Group       7600 Boone Avenue North

fty@sunvis.rtpnc.epa.gov (Frank Terhaar-Yonkers) (06/12/91)

Really?  I thought CDC was the "Center for Disease Control" !

*smirk*

>In article <1991Jun12.131712.20123@ns.network.com>, robp@gumby.network.com (Rob Peglar) writes:
>In article <1991Jun11.180846.6779@kithrup.COM> sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
>>
>>One of those lame FidoNet sites is dumping old news articles again; it
>>changes the Message-Id and From: line.  The person or program responsible
>>also seems to be pretty stupid:  comp.sys.cdc is not about CD's, it's about
>>Control Data Corp's systems.
>
>Well, I won't pass judgement so strongly on the unfortunate poster.
>
>I just hope there isn't anything subliminal in the poster's mistake;
>thinking comp.sys.cdc is a newsgroup for discussion of compact discs
>is either as Sean has it, or the unfortunate lack of public perception
>of the three-letter acronym CDC.  I give you that the poster would not
>have made the same mistake for a comp.sys.ibm being a newsgroup devoted
>to discussion of something other than the computer systems produced by
>International Business Machines.
>
>BTW, DAH, how'z MIPS?

cheers - Frank

In article <1991Jun12.153034.24419@rock.concert.net> fty@sunvis.rtpnc.epa.gov (Frank Terhaar-Yonkers) writes:
>Really?  I thought CDC was the "Center for Disease Control" !
>
>*smirk*

Actually, even here in the Twin Cities there is 'another' CDC.
On local media, ads for the Clothing Distribution Center appear
regularly.  They make the explicit point of calling themselves
'CDC'.  I would bet a fair amount that for every Twin Citian who
recognizes CDC as Control Data Corporation, there are at least five
who recognize CDC as Clothing Distribution Center!

'Nuff said.
--

kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.153034.24419@rock.concert.net> fty@sunvis.rtpnc.epa.gov (Frank Terhaar-Yonkers) writes:
>Really?  I thought CDC was the "Center for Disease Control" !

Nope, it stands for Cheap DEC Copies.
--scott

   (Or Cyber's Down Constantly)

fty@sunvis.rtpnc.epa.gov (Frank Terhaar-Yonkers) (06/13/91)

When I worked for CDC (`77 - `84) it was:

Consistency Doesn't Count
-or-
Constantly Down Computers

Other fun acronyms were:

{No|Non} Operating System
Sunnyvale`s Collection Of Programming Errors
Cyber {Record|Retched} Mangler

>>Really?  I thought CDC was the "Center for Disease Control" !
>
>Nope, it stands for Cheap DEC Copies.
>--scott
>
>   (Or Cyber's Down Constantly)

cheers - Frank

robp@gumby.network.com (Rob Peglar) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun13.025922.10626@news.larc.nasa.gov> kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) writes:
>In article <1991Jun12.153034.24419@rock.concert.net> fty@sunvis.rtpnc.epa.gov (Frank Terhaar-Yonkers) writes:
>>Really?  I thought CDC was the "Center for Disease Control" !
>
>Nope, it stands for Cheap DEC Copies.

Well, cheap is one thing CDC machines aren't.  Pays for all that overhead,
you know.

>   (Or Cyber's Down Constantly)

Won't touch that one.  Cybers seem fine, usually.  Most often down just
after PM.  (aka 'the PM syndrome')

After cogitating awhile on acronyms (a favorite Big Blue acronym is
It'll Be up Momentarily) my somewhat addled mind remembered these,
collected from the field over a number of years.  No judgements passed.

Cybers Deserve Cremation
Cybers Don't Compute
Cybers - Daily Complaints
Computers Designed (by) Cray.
Cybers - Damn Cranky
Clumsy Deadstarting Computers
CDC Doesn't Care		(recursive acronym)

and perhaps one of the more appropriate ones, now that we're approaching
the ides of June..

Cash Drain Company
--

woolsey@netcom.COM (Jeff Woolsey) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.124431.27075@rock.concert.net> fty@sunvis.rtpnc.epa.gov (Frank Terhaar-Yonkers) writes:
>When I worked for CDC (`77 - `84) it was:
...roughly my time-frame at a CDC-customer site.

Nutty Access Method

>Sunnyvale`s Collection Of Programming Errors
Sunnyvale's Cornucopia Of Programming Errors

>Cyber {Record|Retched} Mangler
Cyber Wreckage Mangler
Common Memory Mangler

Hey, I _liked_ the machines....
Jeff Woolsey	Microtec Research, Inc	+1 408 980-1300
woolsey@netcom.COM	...!amdcad!sun0!woolsey

gunter@borage.cc.uwa.oz.au (Gunter) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.025922.10626@news.larc.nasa.gov>, kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) writes:
> Nope, it stands for Cheap DEC Copies.
>    (Or Cyber's Down Constantly)

	BS2U

	We had 4...and they were constantly up...no excuse for no work ;)

	btw

	How are CDC's CD drives (CDC CYBER 68xxx)
	going...(rec.comp.music.sys.cdc.cd)

eugene@nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) (06/15/91)

>Hey, I like the machines.

I liked them at one time, too.  I like them when I was at a site (JPL)
when the 7600 was the fastest thing around, and the Cray-1 was just
taking off.  Instead we had to "fight fires" using Univac 1108s.
I had to try and convince the administration that larger word sizes and
faster machines were directions to proceed (let alone tell them about the
Xerox Altos on the Caltech Campus).  Instead they bought 1100/81s,
and I don't mean Xerox 1100s.

Now, I have an officemate who tells me to read "A Few Good Men from Univac"
(when ERA was bought up by Univac) and "Memories Which Shaped an Industry"
(about the IBM 360).  MIT Press.  So I am starting to re-read (oh a photo
of Cray in front of a 6600).  So consider these two besides reading
Thorndyke's book.

It will be interesting to watch CDC (and CRI and Unisys) as the
computer industry evolves (as you could also include Apple and Xerox).
Case studies of an industry.

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@orville.nas.nasa.gov
  Resident Cynic, Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers
  {uunet,mailrus,other gateways}!ames!eugene

kts@michael.udev.cdc.com (kathy t skow x-2923) (06/19/91)

Rob Peglar, Do you *STILL* have nothing better to do
than cut down your previous employers?  I thought that
the threat of lawsuits had quelled you.

  Kathy Skow                       | email:   kts@udev.cdc.com
  Open Systems Operations          | phone:   612-482-2923
  Control Data Corporation         | fax:     612-482-4203

zeke@cryptica.ucsd.edu (Rob Scott) (06/24/91)

In article <1991Jun14.234246.14809@nas.nasa.gov> eugene@vax-amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) writes:

>Now, I have an officemate who tells me to read "A Few Good Men from Univac"
>(when ERA was bought up by Univac) and "Memories Which Shaped an Industry"
>(about the IBM 360).  MIT Press.  So I am starting to re-read (oh a photo
>of Cray in front of a 6600).  So consider these two besides reading
>Thorndyke's book.

Is the "Thorndyke" book you reference above by Lloyd Thorndyke, the former
President and CEO of ETA Systems?  Ever since ETA was closed, there have
been rumors that Lloyd and/or Neil Lincoln and/or others might write some
"definitive" post-debacle analysis of the CDC/ETA downfall.  I'd be
interested if somebody had actually done it.

Rob

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-   cat std.disclaimer >>worth$0.02  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Rob Scott					zeke%mpl@ucsd.edu

3ksnn64@cidmac.ecn.purdue.edu (Joe Cychosz) (06/25/91)

>>(when ERA was bought up by Univac) and "Memories Which Shaped an Industry"
>>(about the IBM 360).  MIT Press.  So I am starting to re-read (oh a photo
>>of Cray in front of a 6600).  So consider these two besides reading
>>Thorndyke's book.
>>

>Is the "Thorndyke" book you reference above by Lloyd Thorndyke, the former
>President and CEO of ETA Systems?  Ever since ETA was closed, there have
>been rumors that Lloyd and/or Neil Lincoln and/or others might write some
>interested if somebody had actually done it.
In an earlier part of this thread, the talked about the book "Design of a
Computer The Control Data 6600" which is by Thornton and not Thorndyke.
Thornton was head of the Advance Design Labs at CDC at the time.  He later
went on to form Network Systems.  To the best of my knowledge, Thorndyke
has not written a book.