[sci.environment] pesticides & birds

harolds1@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Schessler) (02/17/89)

Dear Net:

I'm looking for information about the effects of
community mosquito spraying on birds. Our township
will begin an "abatement program" this year.
They will be using Illinois state-approved chemicals
(Malathion, ????) and want to spray from the air.

I don't like the idea and *NO one* seems to have considered
birds and other wildlife and how they might be effected.
My area is still fairly rural.

I've called various Audubon, conservation people and they
all tell me they don't have "data" - but there is anxiety in their
voices.

How can birds, et al, not be negatively effected? These chemicals
would be in the water and coat the seeds, etc that birds use to survive.
I do have a data sheet on Malathion and it is very toxic for a many
days until it begins to decompose into malaxon and diethyl fumarate
which I don't have data on.

The natural world has done very well  for itself for millions of
years and suddenly in the last 20-30 years people keep throwing
synthetic chemicals at it without a thought. Ecologists warned
about the dangers of DDT for 20 years before it was banned.

Silent Spring (Rachael Carson) prays on my soul!

Harold

jimiii@mips.COM (Jim Warford) (02/19/89)

In article <11752@ihlpa.ATT.COM> harolds1@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Schessler) writes:
>Dear Net:
>
>I'm looking for information about the effects of
>community mosquito spraying on birds. Our township
>will begin an "abatement program" this year.
>They will be using Illinois state-approved chemicals
>(Malathion, ????) and want to spray from the air.

 I know that about 8 years ago when they had the great Med Fly wars here in
the Bay Area I did not see as many birds for quite some time.  I could think
of two possible reasons for this.
 1. The malathion was toxic to the birds when ingested on seeds, bugs etc.
 2. The malathion not only killed the Med Flies but most of the other bugs
    in the area and and all of the bug eating birds left the area.

 I don't think that the bird population has ever reattained the levels which
were present before the great med fly war.  This is only a personal opinion
however.
 I don't know whether malathion is toxic to birds or not, but anything that
will leave discolored spots on a car if not washed off within 24 hours can't
be all that good for any living thing!
 I would think that spraying for mosquitos would drive away the natural
predators (swallows etc.) and the problem would come back even worse in a
very short time.

-- Good luck with stopping the spraying
-- jimiii@mips.com

nap@drutx.ATT.COM (N. A. Parsons) (02/19/89)

In article <11752@ihlpa.ATT.COM>, harolds1@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Schessler) writes:
> Dear Net:
>
> I'm looking for information about the effects of community mosquito
> spraying on birds.  [His community plans to spray Malathion from the air.]
>
> I've called various [organizations]; they all [say] they don't have "data"

Has all the world gone nuts?  Until there is data, can't we practice some
common sense?  Would the people who are ordering the Malathion spraying be
willing to stand exposed under it with their families and without washing
for a few days?  After all, without data, we don't know that there would be
any adverse effects, right?  Or is it a matter of knowing that it would
harm people, but we haven't bothered to collect data of how it affects
birds and animals?

Doesn't the extreme warning on Malathion constitute "data"?  Doesn't it say
to keep it out of water supplies, to wash immediately if gets on your skin,
etc.?  Aren't there enough commonalitites between animals and humans that a
few reasonable conclusions can be reached?

When I began "gardening" in earnest (a primary objective was to provide
habitat for birds), I became frantic from time to time when I was faced
with an infestation of some kind of pest that threatened to kill a valued
specimen.  When I asked for advice from my county agent or the various
garden centers, things like Malathion were always recommended.  I seemed to
be faced with the choice of risking the birds' lives with the use of
pesticides or losing the bushes, trees, etc. that provided the very food
and shelter on which they depended.

Eventually, I found information on natural control.  I was sceptical at
first, but it seemed my only choice.  The initial cost seemed a bit high,
but the result was fantastic, namely that I've begun to re-establish the
natural balance in my yard.  All of the pests that used to kill my plants
are still around (they would still have been around when I was using the
poisons, too), but now they are held in check by other insects or birds, so
any damage they do to a plant is totally insignificant.

The plant lets the "bad" insects have a bite or two from some of its leaves,
some "good" insects come along and gobble up the bad insects; still other
insects and birds gobble up these insects and other birds gobble up the
berries, seeds, or whatever the plant produces.  The plant grows bigger and
stronger.  A few "bad" insects survive long enough to lay eggs.  The good
ones lay theirs, too.  And the next year, the cycle starts over.  And I
don't have to pay for poison or worry about what its doing to me or my
environment.  The main thing I still need and don't yet have is a few bats
to go to work on the moths at night.

PLEASE NOTE: It is the unwise use of chemical poisons that creates the
imbalances in the first place, making more and more use of them necessary
because they have killed off the creatures that would otherwise control
the pests.

By the way, we used to use a "service" that fertilized the grass and
killed anything other than a blade of grass that existed (plant or
insect).  My dog would begin scratching violently as soon as the grass
came up in the spring and continue scratching until the snows covered it
for the winter.  (The vet diagnosed it as a common allergy to grass seen
in many dogs.  We had to give her a steroid to relieve her suffering.
That made her appetitie ravenous and she would eat everything in
sight--including birds if she could get hold of one.)

I had always worried about the effect on the birds of the weed and insect
poisons put on the grass, so one day, I cancelled the service and chose
an expensive, "natural" fertilizer that had to be used only twice in the
year--spring and fall ("expensive," but not as much as four applications of
chemical fertilizers).  My grass resisted the heat of mid-summer better
than it ever had, staying green when it used to fade.  The thatch that was
an annual problem began its natural cycle of getting broken down by the
bacteria supplied in the fertilizer.  I took my dog off the steroids and
she had no allergies (they had been due to the poisons, not to the grass,
of course).  And, of course, I no longer worry about possible dangers to
the flocks of birds that march across the lawn every day gobbling up
seeds and insects that I can't even tell are there.

As for mosquitoes, I've had little problem with them since the swallows
moved in and began raising their families here.  What appetites they have!
And what fun they are to watch, cutting through the air in "impossible"
turns and dives as they collect their suppers.  One of my favorite times
of the year is when the parents sit with the young on the old basketball
hoop, from where they take their flying lessons.

Anyway, if the community sprays with Malathion this year, my bet is that
they'll have to continue doing so because, without natural controls, the
pests will simply continue to move in and reproduce.  Any chance that the
powers that be would be willing to consider alternatives?

If you need advice on alternatives, you might try:

      Natural Gardening Research Center
      Hwy. 48 -- P.O. Box 149
      Sunman, IN 47041
      (812) 623-3800

These people sell natural controls, I'm sure profit is their primary
motive, but they've been kind enough to respond personally to my enquiries
about how to control peach borers, etc., and I'll bet they could either
make some good suggestions or point you in the right direction.  (The only
thing in their catalog about mosquitos is a mosquito repeller, something
electronic, I think, so maybe they won't be able to help, but I would give
them a try, anyway.)  Personally, I think your community ought to think in
terms of swallows and bats.  But what do I know?

boreas@bucsb.UUCP (Michael A. Justice) (02/21/89)

In article <10422@drutx.ATT.COM> nap@drutx.ATT.COM (N. A. Parsons) writes:
>If you need advice on alternatives, you might try:
>      Natural Gardening Research Center
>      Hwy. 48 -- P.O. Box 149
>      Sunman, IN 47041
>      (812) 623-3800

Also try Rodale's Organic Gardening;  they're in Emmaus, PA (area code
215, I think).  (But aren't these more for small-scale gardening, rather
than entire metropolitan areas??)

Does anyone know how effective BT is, in comparison to Malathion and the
like??  What the relative costs are (in dollars, not environmentally)??
Problems with its use??  (From what little I've heard, the stuff is just
about ideal, environmentally speaking.)

Also, how does one go about convincing blockheaded suburbanites that
dumping poison all over a town is not generally a good idea?

			-- Michael.
--
BITNet: cscj0ac@buacca \  Michael Andrew Justice @ BU Graduate School (CS)
ARPA: boreas@bucsb.bu.edu  \     "My sophistication surprises you, Zorba?"