[sci.environment] Success with cold fusion reported

DBH106@PSUVM.BITNET (03/26/89)

Bravo!  Bravo!!  The researchers at the University of Utah should be
congratulated for their breakthrough.  Does this mean the environmentalists
will have to find another line of work, with all the possible ways that
a clean power source could be used to alleviate the pollution problem?

CONGRATULATIONS UU!

Awaiting further developments,

Dan Harter
DBH106@PSUVM.BITNET
Penn State University
DBH10

kocic@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Miroslav Kocic) (03/28/89)

The discussion in this newsgroup has so far been about the authenticity of the
Utah breakthrough, but I have two different concerns.  First, what if fusion
turns out to create problems we don't foresee?  We didn't foresee radioactive
waste or meltdowns back when fission was at this stage, and, if history teaches
anything, it teaches that every benefit has a proportional price.  Second, what
if cold fusion becomes the crack-cocaine of energy production?  I can imagine
a thousand fanatics in 750 terrorist cells making an H-bomb in their kitchen.

siddarth@cs.utexas.edu (Siddarth Subramanian) (03/29/89)

In article <1989Mar28.041030.2291@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> kocic@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Miroslav Kocic) writes:

>The discussion in this newsgroup has so far been about the authenticity of the
>Utah breakthrough, but I have two different concerns.  First, what if fusion
>turns out to create problems we don't foresee?  We didn't foresee radioactive
>waste or meltdowns back when fission was at this stage, and, if history teaches
>anything, it teaches that every benefit has a proportional price.  Second, what
>if cold fusion becomes the crack-cocaine of energy production?  I can imagine
>a thousand fanatics in 750 terrorist cells making an H-bomb in their kitchen.

Wow. Some people really love to  pour cold water on  things before they even
get off the  ground. Here we're  discussing a method  that  has not even been
well  documented yet. We don't know if it's  economically feasible or even
theoretically   sound. To  go from here  to H-bombs  in one step does take
a lot of  imagination.

While  I agree  with  the need for  caution  in  looking at any new process
or technique, I believe  that  something as important as room-temperature
fusion  should first be studied for its merits as an  energy source. As
for H-bombs, note  that many  do-it-yourself  guides  have been  written for
producing fission bombs  already. Fortunately  for  mankind, few people
combine both genocidal instincts and the intelligence  required   to make
such a bomb. Even  the worst terrorist groups have not  resorted to bomb
production. There's no  reason to think they're  going to now.

-------
SIDDARTH SUBRAMANIAN
siddarth@cs.utexas.edu     "$#$#^&^*())*&&^hghg@44*&^##[][]" - R2D2

scj@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Scotian) (03/29/89)

Miroslav Kocic writes:
|The discussion in this newsgroup has so far been about the authenticity of the
|Utah breakthrough, but I have two different concerns.  First, what if fusion
|turns out to create problems we don't foresee?  We didn't foresee radioactive
|waste or meltdowns back when fission was at this stage,

How on earth do you come to this conclusion?

|and, if history teaches
|anything, it teaches that every benefit has a proportional price.  Second, what
|if cold fusion becomes the crack-cocaine of energy production?  I can imagine
|a thousand fanatics in 750 terrorist cells making an H-bomb in their kitchen.

I'm sure you can...
Scott C. Jensen
scj@mecc.MN.ORG

alien@cpoint.UUCP (Alien Wells) (03/30/89)

In article <77762DBH106@PSUVM> DBH106@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>Bravo!  Bravo!!  The researchers at the University of Utah should be
>congratulated for their breakthrough.  Does this mean the environmentalists
>will have to find another line of work, with all the possible ways that
>a clean power source could be used to alleviate the pollution problem?

I dare say that a lot of them will attack this just as strongly as they have
attacked fission.  After all, the neutron emmissions will cause the
containment to slowly become radioactive, so there will still be some
hazardous waste to deal with (albeit orders of magnitude less than other
power sources).  Nuclear and radioactive are extremely emotionally laden
words with great camera appeal.

In addition, I expect the government to try to limit the use (if it works)
to utility use only for two reasons.  First, there will be political pressure
to protect the structure of utilities, despite the reality that we would
be better off putting one of these in everyone's home and eliminiating the
power grid.  Second, the US government tries to restrict access to heavy
water, one of the reasons that heavy water reactors (which cannot melt
down) are illegal for commercial (even utility) use in the US (they are
standard issue in Canada).

		A path is a terrible thing to waste ...
	decvax!frog!cpoint!alien	bu_cs!mirror!frog!cpoint!alien

alien@cpoint.UUCP (Alien Wells) (03/30/89)

In article <1989Mar28.041030.2291@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> kocic@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Miroslav Kocic) writes:

>The discussion in this newsgroup has so far been about the authenticity of the
>Utah breakthrough, but I have two different concerns.  First, what if fusion
>turns out to create problems we don't foresee?  We didn't foresee radioactive
>waste or meltdowns back when fission was at this stage, and, if history teaches
>anything, it teaches that every benefit has a proportional price.  Second, what
>if cold fusion becomes the crack-cocaine of energy production?  I can imagine
>a thousand fanatics in 750 terrorist cells making an H-bomb in their kitchen.

	1) The problems with fission WERE forseen at this stage with fission.
In fact, one of the two original designs submitted to the government when it
requested proposals for fission power plants could not melt down (similar to
most US university reactors).  The US govt made a decision that meltdowns
were unlikely enough that they were not an issue, and required all utilities
to use light water reactors instead.  When the utilities objected (utilities
are, after all, extremely conservative) the US govt assumed all liabilities
from a catastrophic meltdown.  Of course, they recently decided that was
unfair and capped what the govt will pay ... In addition, radioactive waste
was considered a problem immediately.  Again, utilities were unwilling to
come to the table until the US govt assumed all responsibility for waste
disposal.  Of course, the govt did nothing ...

	2) History does not teach us that everything has a proportional
price, it teaches us that people will use something until its price is as
much as the benefit.  Before cars, there were serious concerns that horse
waste (manure) was destroying public health and would destroy cities as
viable entities.  Cars pushed transportation down to the middle and lower
classes and saved cities until the price got to the break-even point.

	3) You cannot make an H-bomb with catalized fusion of the type
described.  That is as silly as saying you can make an atom bomb from
radioactive watch dials.

johna@gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM (John Abt) (03/30/89)

In article <1989Mar28.041030.2291@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> kocic@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Miroslav Kocic) writes:

>The discussion in this newsgroup has so far been about the authenticity of the
>Utah breakthrough, but I have two different concerns.  First, what if fusion
>turns out to create problems we don't foresee?  We didn't foresee radioactive
>waste or meltdowns back when fission was at this stage, and, if history teaches
>anything, it teaches that every benefit has a proportional price.  Second, what
>if cold fusion becomes the crack-cocaine of energy production?  I can imagine
>a thousand fanatics in 750 terrorist cells making an H-bomb in their kitchen.

With unlimited cheap and pollution-free energy available, we won't be
talking about the greenhouse effect, it will be the furnace effect.

cphoenix@csli.STANFORD.EDU (Chris Phoenix) (03/30/89)

In article <1113@gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM> johna@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com.GVG.TEK.COM (John Abt) writes:
>>[quotation deleted]
>With unlimited cheap and pollution-free energy available, we won't be
>talking about the greenhouse effect, it will be the furnace effect.

Not necessarily.
Imagine how cheap it would be, with unlimited power, to turn large areas of
land into mirrors.  Just find any sandy area such as a desert, then melt it
smooth, then sputter on some shiny metal.
I don't know the statistics on the amount of energy in sunlight falling on
the earth, but it's some amazing number of times greater than the amount
of energy we use.  In other words, we could compensate for all the energy
we use by covering a relatively small part of the earth's surface with
mirrors to reflect all the heat back out into space.  The greenhouse effect
probably traps much more heat than would be produced by any fusion we could
use.  Worrying about a "furnace effect" from fusion is almost as groundless
as worrying about one from solar energy.  (That came up in sci.nanotech a
while ago, and I gave the same answer except, "Imagine how cheap it would
be, with nanotechnology, to...")

Chris Phoenix
cphoenix@csli.stanford.edu

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (03/30/89)

In article <2182@cpoint.UUCP>, alien@cpoint.UUCP (Alien Wells) writes:
}power sources).  Nuclear and radioactive are extremely emotionally laden
}words with great camera appeal.

Yeah, that's why Nuclear Magnetic Resonance is now called Magnetic Resonance
Imaging.

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/31

miket@blic.BLI.COM (Mike Tossy) (03/31/89)

>>I'm not sure that distributed energy production has anything intrinsically
>>going for it that centralized doesn't - basically the centralization is
>>a response to economics just like centralized food production (they call
>>them farms, meat packers, grain co-ops, etc.), centralized news media (I
>>suppose we COULD all do our own investigative reporting), centralized
>>traffic control (again - we could all get 4X4's and take off cross-country),

>Ok Bob, think for a second.  Energy production is not analogous to
>telecommunications OR food production.  The most important factor is
>the distribution loss (either I2 x R or thermal) that result from
>trying to produce energy in one location and move it to another.
>Producing energy locally would make us a much less energy intensive
>nation.  The only disadvantage to local energy production is that
>utilities don't make as much money. :-)

Seems to me that the distribution loss is not "the most important factor".
There are others.  As with today's fossil fuel plants, the cold fusion plants
may turn out to be more efficent at larger sizes.  The cost of the operations
staff  (unless you believe these cells can operated without staffing)
could make some centralization cost effective. Even if they can operate
unmanned then perhaps maintainance might still make for less expensive
centralized operation (it maybe cheaper to ship "cheap fusion power"
over an existing power grid than to move maintainance personnel from house to
house).  Again depending upon the technology, it maybe cheaper to build
less capacity and use the existing powergrid to load balance than it would
be to build enough capacity for each site to meet its peak demand.  (My
house uses little energy during the day and my office uses little power
at night.  Today with centralized power production we can share the installed
power plant capacity - not so without a power grid.)

Other arguments are possible of course. An assembly line might produce
standard units at a low enough cost as to make decentralization possible.
Or perhaps something in between, perhaps neighborhood power stations?

You can even envision that "advanced countries" like the U.S. would
adopt a centralized approach because of our existing power grid, while
"developing countries" might go for a distributed approach and avoid the
capital investment of building a power grid. (Look at railways, very few
developing countries find them cost effective to build, but most countries
that developed during the rail age find them cost effective to maintain.)

As always it is going to get down to economics (plus other social
considerations).  Unfortunately for those environmentalists who like to
snipe at utilities the truth is that utilities do perform a socally useful
function and that usefulness may very well continue even if cold fusion
works.

Final point: being "much less energy intensive nation" is not a "goodness"
in isolation.  There is nothing morally superior about using less energy, per
say.  The problem of energy use comes from the side effects that our
current energy production techniques.  Would you believe that using less
energy was good if all our energy was produced with alternative methods like
solar?  Reducing the cost of energy has been traditionally how societies
have increased the value of human labor, and I think that is a moral goodness.
I'm glad I live in a society of "mechanical slaves" instead of human ones.

--Mike Tossy

(No I don't work for a Utility.)

maa@elmgate.UUCP (Mark Armstrong SOFT) (03/31/89)

In article <2182@cpoint.UUCP>, alien@cpoint.UUCP (Alien Wells) writes:

> In addition, I expect the government to try to limit the use (if it works)
> to utility use only for two reasons.  First, there will be political pressure
> to protect the structure of utilities, despite the reality that we would
> be better off putting one of these in everyone's home and eliminiating the
> power grid.

Be the first on your block with your own fusion reactor!!! What a great idea,
we can all have our table top fusion reactor which will create some steam
which will drive the turbines which are connected to a generator -)-). Yep, this
has to be much cheaper than buying electric from those mean old utility
companies. Just buy the wife a lead jacket when she does the laundry in the
basement in case those nasty radioactive stuff happens to leak.

Why do you think it would be more efficient to produce your own electricity
instead of buying it from utilities?? What would be the cost of such system,
$5,000 sounds realistic. How about maintanence cost, $500 per year. What about
the radioactive waste, I guess we could water the lawn with it. This is reality.

Mark Armstrong

kring@washoe.Berkeley.EDU (Chuck Kring) (03/31/89)

In article <8328@csli.STANFORD.EDU>, cphoenix@csli.STANFORD.EDU (Chris Phoenix) writes:
> From: cphoenix@csli.STANFORD.EDU (Chris Phoenix)
> Newsgroups: sci.research,sci.space,sci.environment,misc.headlines,sci.misc
> Subject: Re: Success with cold fusion reported
> Date: 30 Mar 89 09:30:26 GMT
> Sender: cphoenix@csli.Stanford.EDU (Chris Phoenix)
>
> In article <1113@gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM> johna@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com.GVG.TEK.COM (John Abt) writes:
>
> Imagine how cheap it would be, with unlimited power, to turn large areas of
> land into mirrors.  Just find any sandy area such as a desert, then melt it
> smooth, then sputter on some shiny metal.

Not to flame, but this is one of the stupidest ideas that I've read in this
group.  In addition to totally destroying part of the environment, it simply
will not work for two reasons:

    1> Deserts get cold at night because there is little vegetation or
       water in the atmosphere to hold the heat.  Reflecting it during the
       day would not significantly increase amount of heat which is radiated
       over time.

    2> If the greenhouse effect were a problem, then much of the reflected
       sunlight would get trapped on the way back up and end up warming the
       atmosphere anyway.

Finally, unlimited power does not imply cheap power.  Cold fusion aside,
everything that I've heard about fusion implies that it will be very
expensive.  I haven't heard anyone who would really know claim that cold
fusion will be cheap.  How much does palladium cost?  How long will it
last in in a fusion environment?

I hope that if you are ever in a position to make decisions which will affect
the envorinment, you will give more thought about the ramifications of your
position.

Chuck Kring
UC Berkeley CAD Group
kring@ic.Berkeley.EDU

In article <2182@cpoint.UUCP> alien@cpoint.UUCP (Alien Wells) writes:
>In addition, I expect the government to try to limit the use (if it works)
>to utility use only for two reasons.  First, there will be political pressure
>to protect the structure of utilities, despite the reality that we would
>be better off putting one of these in everyone's home and eliminiating the
>power grid.

This I agree with whole-heartedly.  But the cat is now out of the bag, as it
were, and they'll NEVER stuff it back in should this technology pan out --
especially if it can be done with other, more common metals!

I wish the government good luck in trying to stop people from utilizing this
technology -- on just what grounds could they possibly manage to pull THAT
one off?

>Second, the US government tries to restrict access to heavy
>water, one of the reasons that heavy water reactors (which cannot melt
>down) are illegal for commercial (even utility) use in the US (they are
>standard issue in Canada).

Why is this so?  What in the dickens is so wonderful or terrifying about
heavy water (outside of this obvious application)?  Heck, it's present in
SEAWATER -- no, not in high quantities, but it's there.  Nearly anyone who
has the money and equipment should be able to extract it from the sea; I
can't understand why they would not want it available..... perhaps I've
missed something important here.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

ethan@ut-emx.UUCP (Ethan Tecumseh Vishniac) (03/31/89)

In article <1113@gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM>, johna@gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM (John Abt) writes:

> With unlimited cheap and pollution-free energy available, we won't be
> talking about the greenhouse effect, it will be the furnace effect.

The greenhouse effect is not due to the release of energy from burning
fossil fuels.  It is due to the accumulation of carbon dioxide (and other
gases) in the atmosphere which affects the retention of solar radiation.
Heating the planet as direct effect of power generation would take
an enormously greater per capita consumption of energy for the whole
planet than the present per capita use in the USA.  In other words,
the use of fusion power as a source of energy is less of a problem
from the point of view of the greenhouse effect than any other
energy generation scheme, with the exception of fission power.
I include solar energy here because solar collectors tend to locally
decrease the albedo of the Earth.

An example of a real problem with cold fusion (as reported in the press,
I make no claims for its reality) would be its tendency to irradiate
its container vessel with neutrons (producing some quantity of
low level radioactive waste) and release tritium (a nasty isotope
of hydrogen with a tendency to get absorbed into body tissues and
a half life short enough to give a healthy dose of radiation per unit
time).  The first may less of an issue with cold fusion than hot if
the claim of a low neutron yield holds up.  The second requires
some care (although the short half life might make waste disposal
a manageable problem).  I have no idea, in practical terms, how
much it will cost to deal with these issues, but if you want to
speculate about problems with cold fusion they make a good starting
point.  Thermonuclear fusion has lots of problems as previously
discussed here and elsewhere.

I note that given sufficiently cheap energy it is possible to overcome
most pollution problems associated with modern industry.
--
 I'm not afraid of dying     Ethan Vishniac, Dept of Astronomy, Univ. of Texas
 I just don't want to be     {charm,ut-sally,ut-emx,noao}!utastro!ethan

These must be my opinions.  Who else would bother?

andrew@nsc.nsc.com (andrew) (03/31/89)

In article <11685@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, kring@washoe.Berkeley.EDU (Chuck Kring) writes:
> Not to flame, but this is one of the stupidest ideas that I've read in this
> group.
> [...]
> How much does palladium cost?  How long will it last in in a fusion
> environment?
> I hope that if you are ever in a position to make decisions which will affect
> the envorinment, you will give more thought about the ramifications of your
> position.
>
> Chuck Kring > UC Berkeley CAD Group > kring@ic.Berkeley.EDU

Leaving the issue of mirrors aside...
If you had bothered to inform yourself from the mails on this topic,
you would know the answers to these questions. Yes to flame, but in the
pot-and-kettle sense.
I hope that if you are ever in a position to make decisions which will affect
the environment, you will give more thought to the answers to your questions.
=======
Andrew Palfreyman 		USENET: ...{this biomass}!nsc!logic!andrew
National Semiconductor M/S D3969, 2900 Semiconductor Dr., PO Box 58090,
Santa Clara, CA 95052-8090 ; 408-721-4788 		there's many a slip
							'twixt cup and lip

michael@xanadu.COM (Michael McClary) (03/31/89)

In article <1989Mar28.041030.2291@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> kocic@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Miroslav Kocic) writes:

>[...] if history teaches
>anything, it teaches that every benefit has a proportional price.

Actually, history teaches no such thing.  Benefits and prices of any given
discovery or invention don't correlate.  Those with prices up to their
benefits tend to be developed and used (unless something cheaper does the
job as well or better).  Those with excessive prices are discarded.  This
creates the illusion of proportional cost.

Once this illusion is set in your mind, everything new with improved price/
performance makes you think "there's got to be a catch", and sends you on
a search to find the catch.  If you can't accept the lack of a catch, you
can never end your search, and can never go beyond what had been done before.

This is not to say such a search is folly.  Many things DO have catches,
and these need to be discovered.  But be prepared to acknowledge real wonders
now and then.

128a-3cl@web-2h.berkeley.edu (Anon </>) (03/31/89)

In article <11685@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> kring@washoe.Berkeley.EDU (Chuck Kring) writes:
>In article <8328@csli.STANFORD.EDU>, cphoenix@csli.STANFORD.EDU (Chris Phoenix) writes:
>> In article <1113@gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM> johna@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com.GVG.TEK.COM (John Abt) writes:
>>
>> Imagine how cheap it would be, with unlimited power, to turn large areas of
>> land into mirrors.  Just find any sandy area such as a desert, then melt it
>> smooth, then sputter on some shiny metal.
>
>Not to flame, but this is one of the stupidest ideas that I've read in this
>group.

Skipping a bit...

>    2> If the greenhouse effect were a problem, then much of the reflected
>       sunlight would get trapped on the way back up and end up warming the
>       atmosphere anyway.

Not to flame :) , but this is not strictly true.  The greenhouse effect
requires sunlight to be absorbed by something, and the energy to be reemitted
in frequencies which are absorbed more efficiently by the atmosphere.  A
mirror, or a region with a high albedo (such as a snow-field) reflects sunlight
rather than absorbing/reemitting it.  This can have a net cooling effect,
and there is speculation that this is one mechanism which maintains the
cool temperatures in an ice age.

	--MYC

watson@shinobu.sgi.com (David Watson) (03/31/89)

In article <1008@blic.BLI.COM> miket@blic.BLI.COM (Mike Tossy) writes:

   [...] depending upon the technology, it maybe cheaper to build
   less capacity and use the existing powergrid to load balance than it would
   be to build enough capacity for each site to meet its peak demand.  (My
   house uses little energy during the day and my office uses little power
   at night.  Today with centralized power production we can share the
   installed power plant capacity - not so without a power grid.)

This implies something that deserves explicit mention: there is nothing
I know of that makes a "grid" incompatible with decentralizing energy
production.  In at least some places, individuals with windmills sell
their surplus power back to a utility.  If each household made enough
power on the average, couldn't we still use the "grid" just to balance the
load?  What if utilities stopped producing and became brokers?

			-D.

ard@rnms1.paradyne.com (0000-Akash Deshpande(0000)) (03/31/89)

In article <11685@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> kring@washoe.Berkeley.EDU (Chuck Kring) writes:
>In article <8328@csli.STANFORD.EDU>, cphoenix@csli.STANFORD.EDU (Chris Phoenix) writes:
>> Imagine how cheap it would be, with unlimited power, to turn large areas of
>> land into mirrors.
>
>    1> Deserts get cold at night because there is little vegetation or
>    2> If the greenhouse effect were a problem, then much of the reflected

and spacecrafts and airplanes will have a real problem. Gives a new meaning to
mirage, though. And isn't there a plane called mirage, tying all these together?
-Akash

Akash Deshpande					ATT Paradyne
uunet!pdn!ard					Mail stop LG-129
(813) 530-8307 o	 			Largo, Florida 34649-2826
Like certain orifices, every one has opinions. I haven't seen my employer's!

psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (04/01/89)

<"Would you like me to summon Data so he could offer a few dozen synonyms?">

In article <1989Mar28.041030.2291@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>, kocic@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Miroslav Kocic) writes:
> . . . what if cold fusion becomes the crack-cocaine of energy
> production?  I can imagine a thousand fanatics in 750 terrorist
> cells making an H-bomb in their kitchen.

Seems to me that rec.arts.sf-lovers is the "right" group to discuss the
social implications of cheap, simple fusion.  It's certainly the right
group for my response to the above, taken from Larry Niven's story,
"ARM" (from THE LONG ARM OF GIL HAMILTON, 1976, p. 118 of my paperback
copy; the story first appeared in 1975):

	Monitoring of technology is necessary enough, but may have
	happened too late.  There are enough fusion power plants and
	fusion rocket motors and fusion seawater distilleries around to
	let any madman or group thereof blow up the Earth or any
	selected part of it.

In Niven's future history, the risk is worth it.  I hope it is in ours!

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!pegasus!psrc, psrc@pegasus.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.
(If you have opinions on discussing fusion in the SF group, send me
e-mail; I'll post a summary to the various groups.)

jcbst3@cisunx.UUCP (James C. Benz) (04/03/89)

In article <8328@csli.STANFORD.EDU> cphoenix@csli.stanford.edu (Chris Phoenix) writes:
>Not necessarily.
>Imagine how cheap it would be, with unlimited power, to turn large areas of
>land into mirrors.  Just find any sandy area such as a desert, then melt it
>smooth, then sputter on some shiny metal.
How about just painting all roofs in all our cities white?  Sounds a lot
cheaper, and should work almost as well.  If you are going to melt deserts,
you probably will :
1) generate a *lot* more heat than you reflect
2) piss off a *lot* of environmentalists
3) kill off a *lot* of wildlife
4) change permanently a *lot* of weather patterns
5) blind a *lot* of airline pilots
6...infinity) your own imagination can fill in the rest

What a dumb idea

--
Jim Benz 		     jcbst3@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu     If a modem
University of Pittsburgh					 answers,

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (04/04/89)

In article <1052@elmgate.UUCP> maa@elmgate.UUCP (Mark Armstrong SOFT) writes:
}... Just buy the wife a lead jacket when she does the laundry in the
}basement in case those nasty radioactive stuff happens to leak.

First, there's nothing radioactive to leak.  The working fluids are all
quite safe.  Only the shielding will become radioactive, if there's
significant neutron emission.

Second, why put one in the basement?  I'd expect mine to be buried a ways
down under my back yard.

}Why do you think it would be more efficient to produce your own electricity
}instead of buying it from utilities?? What would be the cost of such system,
}$5,000 sounds realistic. ...

That's about what I cost it out to.  I'd cheerfully pay $5000 to be energy
independent.

}... How about maintanence cost, $500 per year. ...

A quart of heavy water has enough energy to power my house for the rest of
my life and beyond.  The only moving parts are in the generator (probably
a stirling cycle engine.  Steam turbines aren't efficient enough at that
scale).  Under current law, the utilities are required to buy any excess
power I can generate and put on the grid.  I'll bet I can break even on
maintenance just doing that.

}... What about
}the radioactive waste, I guess we could water the lawn with it.  This is
}reality.

What radioactive waste?  The inside of some of the shielding may get a
little hot, assuming neutron emission is a problem, but it's several feet
of solid lead and reinforced concrete, buried under ground.  The working
fluids pose no hazard.  If (worst case) an earthquake breaks the whole
thing open I'll have a nasty, expensive clean up job (for which I'll carry
insurance), but the general environment won't be damaged.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum

frost@sdsu.UUCP (Richard Frost) (04/04/89)

In article <4182@ttidca.TTI.COM>, hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) writes:
> In article <1052@elmgate.UUCP> maa@elmgate.UUCP (Mark Armstrong SOFT) writes:
> [...]
> }Why do you think it would be more efficient to produce your own electricity
> }instead of buying it from utilities?? What would be the cost of such system,
> }$5,000 sounds realistic. ...
>
> That's about what I cost it out to.  I'd cheerfully pay $5000 to be energy
> independent.
>
> }... How about maintanence cost, $500 per year. ...
>
> A quart of heavy water has enough energy to power my house for the rest of
> my life and beyond.  The only moving parts are in the generator (probably
> a stirling cycle engine.  Steam turbines aren't efficient enough at that
> scale).  Under current law, the utilities are required to buy any excess
> power I can generate and put on the grid.  I'll bet I can break even on
> maintenance just doing that.

*** Note ***

Although utility companies are required to by any excess power you generate
YOU are responsible for purchasing a synchonous interface to the grid ( a
synchronous inverter if you're generating DC) plus a new meter and pay for
periodic calibration inspections by the utility company.

So if there is any merit to the giant 'hill of salt' speculation that we
could all have fusion generators in our backyard, be prepared to add an
additional $1500 to your overhead costs plus $100 to your annual cost.

Richard Frost		E-mail:	sdsu!frost@ucsd.edu

- a scientist is someone who learns more and more about less and less
  until they know everything about nothing!	(Ziman)

jimiii@mips.COM (Jim Warford) (04/05/89)

In article <3634@sdsu.UUCP> frost@sdsu.UUCP (Richard Frost) writes:

>Although utility companies are required to by any excess power you generate
>YOU are responsible for purchasing a synchonous interface to the grid ( a
>synchronous inverter if you're generating DC) plus a new meter and pay for
>periodic calibration inspections by the utility company.

I believe you also have to provide 1 million dollars in liability insurance
just in case your equipment malfunctions and wreaks havoc on the electric
companies equipment.
--jimiii@mips.com