[sci.environment] Trashing Greenpeace

jym@eris.berkeley.edu (& Dyer) (01/18/90)

A month or so back, I provided information on contacting
 Greenpeace for activists and environmentalists who wanted
  that kind of information.

One of the stranger results of that posting was a letter mailed to
 me, blasting Greenpeace for not opposing abortion.  How strange,
  I thought, and how irrelevant.

Now I've seen two cars sporting this bumper sticker:

		BE A HERO, SAVE A WHALE
		SAVE A BABY, GO TO JAIL

What gives?  Does anyone know what the anti-abortion movement has
 against Greenpeace?  Against Greenpeace-like activities, such as
  saving whales?  Have I missed something?
::::.-----.:::::<_Jym_>:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:::/   |   \::::.-----.::::::::::::::::: Jym Dyer ::::::::::::::::
::/    |    \::/  o o  \:::::::::::jym@mica.berkeley.edu :::::::::
::\   /|\   /::\ \___/ /::::::::: Berserkeley, California ::::::::
:::\ / | \ /::::`-----'::::::::::::Dilute! Dilute! O.K.! :::::::::
::::`-----':::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

tilley@cs.rochester.edu (Dave Tilley) (01/18/90)

In article <JYM.90Jan17095353@eris.berkeley.edu> jym@eris.berkeley.edu (& Dyer) writes:
>A month or so back, I provided information on contacting
> Greenpeace for activists and environmentalists who wanted
>  that kind of information.
>
>One of the stranger results of that posting was a letter mailed to
> me, blasting Greenpeace for not opposing abortion.  How strange,
>  I thought, and how irrelevant.
>
>Now I've seen two cars sporting this bumper sticker:
>
>		BE A HERO, SAVE A WHALE
>		SAVE A BABY, GO TO JAIL
>
>What gives?  Does anyone know what the anti-abortion movement has
> against Greenpeace?  Against Greenpeace-like activities, such as
>  saving whales?  Have I missed something?

	Well, for those who believe that life begins at conception, it may seem
a bit odd that an organization that fights so strongly to save the life of
a whale or set of whales, does not fight as strongly for the life of unborn
humans.  They might ask "why is the life of the whale LESS important than
the life of the human baby?".  The bumper sticker at least seems to point
out what, to many, might seem as an inconsistancy in our law system and
society as a whole.  Now it may seem that I am one of these people.  Well
I am not.  I am all for saving whales and for reproductive choice for
everybody.

Dave Tilley

Dave Tilley 	cs.rochester.edu

jnixon@rich.ge.com (John F Nixon) (01/18/90)

In article <JYM.90Jan17095353@eris.berkeley.edu> jym@eris.berkeley.edu (& Dyer) writes:
>		BE A HERO, SAVE A WHALE
>		SAVE A BABY, GO TO JAIL
>
>What gives?  Does anyone know what the anti-abortion movement has
> against Greenpeace?  Against Greenpeace-like activities, such as
>  saving whales?  Have I missed something?

Some people consider babies to be part of the environment.  The pro-lifers
are much like the greenies in that they see what they consider bad things
happening, and want to do someting about it.  And, like the greenies,
pro-lifers are attempting to influence public opinion so their view
is adopted.  If you want to save whales (life on this planet), why not
infant humans (also life on this planet)?

You asked, not me.
----
jnixon@atl.ge.com                    ...steinmetz!atl.decnet!jnxion

bill@flash.UUCP (William Swan) (01/18/90)

In <JYM.90Jan17095353@eris.berkeley.edu> jym@eris.berkeley.edu (& Dyer) writes:
}[...]		BE A HERO, SAVE A WHALE
}		SAVE A BABY, GO TO JAIL
}What gives?  Does anyone know what the anti-abortion movement has
} against Greenpeace?  Against Greenpeace-like activities, such as
}  saving whales?  Have I missed something?

I should think it's obvious. They're trying to contrast the two different
"popular" perspectives w/r/t saving life - i.e., that efforts made to save
animal life are treated as good and heroic, but efforts made to save human
life are treated as criminal.

(I first saw this bumpersticker a couple days ago. They don't seem to be
big around here yet...)

--
Bill Swan      bill@Summation.WA.COM          Send postal address for info:
	Innocent but in prison in Washington State for 13.5 years: