[sci.environment] FROGS AND TOADS

arf@lopez.UUCP (Jack Schmidling) (03/05/90)

 End of article 2053 (of 2071)--what next? [npq]
 Article 2054 (13 more) in sci.environment:
 From: gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo)
 Subject: Re: Frogs and toads

 I used to participate in the Frog and Toad Survey conducted
 each year by the Illinois Conservation Department but it was
 so depressing, I quit doing it.

 Three time each year, during the breeding season, we would
 make our milk run.  Each participant had ten stops, about a
 mile apart, somewhere in the state.  We are provided with
 tapes to identify them by their calls and asked to estimate
 gross population size.

 By last year, only one of my sites still had frogs but it
 was surrounded by development and a huge for sale sign went
 up since the previous trip.

 It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why we are
 losing frogs and toads.

                    ^
               \   / \   /
                > / * \ <