[sci.environment] Antifouling coating

lindsley@cod.NOSC.MIL (William G. Lindsley) (10/07/90)

Does anyone know of a clear coating that can be applied to acrylic or glass that will inhibit biofouling in the ocean environment for approx 6 months?  It is   possible but not desirable to combine this with a cover or a wiping mechanism.  Thanks.

frank@ulticorp.UUCP (Frank Cannavale III/1024000) (10/08/90)

In article <2321@cod.NOSC.MIL> lindsley@cod.NOSC.MIL (William G. Lindsley) writes:

>Does anyone know of a clear coating that can be applied to acrylic or
>glass that will inhibit biofouling in the ocean environment for
>approx 6 months?  It is possible but not desirable to combine this
>with a cover or a wiping mechanism.  Thanks.

I used something called "Classic Yacht" from (I think) Philadelphia
Paints and Resins.  It is a clear coat TBT containing anti-foulant for
outboards and sterndrives.  I used it on my aluminum outdrives where
copper anti-fouling could not be used.  EPA certified and approved.
Did get some small amount of "slime" growth that brushed off easily.
Barnacle growth in the areas where the spray did not reach well.
Overall, the performance was satisfactory for drive units, but for a
acrylic / glass panel....  I don't know.
--
Frank Cannavale III   !uunet!ulticorp!frank   The Ultimate Corp, E. Hanover, NJ
"Yes, you can afford the Trojan 12 Meter that is fiscally irresponsible for