[sci.environment] Replacing paper, + other display stuff

aglew@crhc.uiuc.edu (Andy Glew) (11/18/90)

[You know, it might be time to create a header line "Old-subject: Re:
Costs of High-resolution graphical displays" - I don't like stuffing
that on the new subject line]

>> Consider the longevity of paper as a medium for information
>> display, despite its many disadvantages. Its primary advantage is
>> that it can display much more information simultaneously than any
>> computer display, and at a cost that can be very low.
>
>I think there is an additional, and more important, barrier to paper's
>demise.  copyright.  If the ideal display were announced tomorrow,
>paper would still exist because you can't get information from publishers
>in digital/on-line form.  This isn't being rectified as we speak, either.

While copyright is undoubtedly a problem, I think cost and convenience
is the main reason why I keep printing out copies of my thesis to
read: I cannot easily surround myself with screens (if I did the
flyback noise would be horrendous).

I also note the comment in the Kahaner group report on computing in
Japan, to the effect that Japanese researchers have very little
deskspace, so are motivated to produce flatscreen displays.

On a Green note, I would like to reduce the amount of paper that I
print once and then throw away.  Recycling is a start, but reuse would
be nice. In old science fiction stories one often reads about
printouts on reusable plastic paper - one imagines that the ink is
easily washed off, or could, eg. be exposed to high UV to fade
quickly.  If such a paper were available and durable, eg. if it could
get 1000 re-uses and cost only 100x as much as regular paper, I would
be very likely to use it.
    Especially if, given such a re-useable paper technology, and the
landfill crunch in the U.S., "trash taxes" were placed on regular,
non-re-useable, paper.

Continuing on the Green note, I have heard that more than 50% by
volume of landfill is newsprint - newspapers, advertising inserts,
etc.
    News distribution by electronic means, such as Clarinet, is almost
sufficient for my needs, except for the lack of pictures.  It is good
enough that I am seriously considering a personal subscription to
Clarinet for my daily news-reading, with only a weekly (Saturday or
Sunday) subscription to a local paper newspaper, and a god national
newspaper.
    Maybe newsprint is another item that should be subjected to a
"trash tax" to encourage people to pursue non-paper,
non-trash-producing, means of receiving information?

Posted to comp.arch, because that is where the conversation started,
talk.environment and sci.environment, because my main topics are Green
proposals about taxing paper to reduce trash, and
comp.periphs.printers because someone in that group may be better able
to comment on the possibilities of re-useable paper.  Followups to
sci.environment, but if you want me to respond you'd best email
- sci.environment is on my reading list, but I don't get there often[*].

[*] something I'd like to see in a newsreader: give priority to any
news conversations that I've posted into or started.

--
Andy Glew, a-glew@uiuc.edu [get ph nameserver from uxc.cso.uiuc.edu:net/qi]