[sci.environment] oil -eating bacteria

yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) (09/18/89)

With all of the publicity surrounding the Exxon Valdez spill, I was
wondering what ever happened to the oil-eating bacteria that genetic
engineers were working on a few years ago.  I seem to remember it was
designed specifically for cleaning up oil spills.

Is it operational yet?  If so, why didn't they use it on the Valdez
spill?  If not, when do they expect it to become operational?

Can it survive in the environment of an underground oil deposit?  If
so, what safeguards exist to prevent it from getting into, say, the
Alaskan or Saudi oilfields?  It seems like it could make an
exceedingly nasty terrorist / economic warfare weapon.

Brian Yamauchi				University of Rochester
yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu		Computer Science Department

chiaravi@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Lucius Chiaraviglio) (09/18/89)

In article <1989Sep17.193703.6598@cs.rochester.edu>
yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu.UUCP (Brian Yamauchi) writes:
>With all of the publicity surrounding the Exxon Valdez spill, I was
>wondering what ever happened to the oil-eating bacteria that genetic
>engineers were working on a few years ago.  I seem to remember it was
>designed specifically for cleaning up oil spills.
>
>Is it operational yet?  If so, why didn't they use it on the Valdez
>spill?  If not, when do they expect it to become operational?

	I have often wondered the same thing.  As a matter of fact, some
naturally-occurring bacteria eat oil -- I just heard on NPR news (I know, not
the greatest source of information, but I have heard of naturally-occurring
oil-eating bacteria elsewhere) that one thing tried during the cleanup was to
put fertilizer on oil-coated areas (I don't remember the details) to encourage
growth of these oil-eating bacteria.

>Can it survive in the environment of an underground oil deposit?  If
>so, what safeguards exist to prevent it from getting into, say, the
>Alaskan or Saudi oilfields?  It seems like it could make an
>exceedingly nasty terrorist / economic warfare weapon.

	All of the biological ways of eating oil that I have ever heard of
involve oxidizing it with oxygen (biological ways of oxidizing it using
sulfate or nitrate are conceivable, but I haven't heard of any).  The
naturally-occurring oil-eating bacteria also have this limitation -- in the
above-mentioned NPR broadcast they mentioned that the bacteria would not be
able to do anything to oil that had soaked into gravel, soil, or sand due to
the lack of a significant oxygen supply down there.  The only thing other than
oxygen capable of reacting with oil that is likely to be present in large
amounts in oil-soaked environments (including oilfields) is water.  However, I
have not heard of a satisfactory biological means of getting energy out of the
reaction of hydrocarbons with water, which takes high temperatures to do
industrially.  Organisms are not going to eat something if they cannot get
energy or something else useful out of it (and if they are getting something
else, but not energy, then they have to have another source of energy
alongside it).  Unless somebody finds a way to get bacteria to get energy from
reaction of hydrocarbons with water (I don't know if this even gives off
energy at reasonable temperatures -- should an enzyme be find that does this
reaction, it might tend to run the other way -- anyone know more about the
thermodynamics of this?), the oilfields are safe (as long as you don't pump
air down there).

BITNET:  chiaravi@IUBACS.BITNET (IUBACS hoses From: fields; INCLUDE RET ADDR)
Internet-gatewayed BITNET:      chiaravi%IUBACS.BITNET@vm.cc.purdue.edu
Alt Internet-gatewayed BITNET:  chiaravi%IUBACS.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu

gst@gnosys.UUCP (Gary S. Trujillo) (09/18/89)

In article <26170@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> chiaravi@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Lucius Chiaraviglio) writes:
> In article <1989Sep17.193703.6598@cs.rochester.edu>
> yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu.UUCP (Brian Yamauchi) writes:
> >With all of the publicity surrounding the Exxon Valdez spill, I was
> >wondering what ever happened to the oil-eating bacteria that genetic
> >engineers were working on a few years ago.  I seem to remember it was
> >designed specifically for cleaning up oil spills.
> >
> >Is it operational yet?  If so, why didn't they use it on the Valdez
> >spill?  If not, when do they expect it to become operational?
>
> 	I have often wondered the same thing.  As a matter of fact, some
> naturally-occurring bacteria eat oil -- I just heard on NPR news (I know, not
> the greatest source of information...

Hey, whaddaya got against NPR?  Their news is as acurate and timely as that of
any of the other sources available, for my money.  I can't see that their errors
(which they're honest enough to admit, when listeners call them on 'em, when
letters get read on "All Things Consdidered"'s Thursday program) are any more
frequent or serious than those of newspapers of network television.  Lay off!!

> , but I have heard of naturally-occurring
> oil-eating bacteria elsewhere) that one thing tried during the cleanup was to
> put fertilizer on oil-coated areas (I don't remember the details) to encourage
> growth of these oil-eating bacteria.

I heard what I imagine is the story you're referring to on this past Saturday's
(9/16) All Things Considered.  I think you got the essence of the story (which
you quoted in your posting) right.  The ATC story on Saturday said that the
tests were very successful, and that the technique was being extended to other
fouled beaches, but it was really too late in the season to expect much good to
come of it, since the bacteria cannot survive the colder weather soon to come.

Here's something from Econet's Greenpeace Press-Release conference (gp.press)
on the subject, from when the tests were first being initiated:

Topic 152	EXXON TO TRY FERTILIZER TO SPEED UP
gn:greenlink	gp.press	 8:27 am  May 15, 1989

Subject: EXXON TO TRY FERTILIZER TO SPEED UP NATURAL OIL BREAKDOWN
Date: June 6, 1989
Via GreenLink:
==============
GEORGE LOBSENZ

WASHINGTON (UPI) - Exxon will spread fertilizer on
oil-soaked Alaskan beaches in a test effort to accelerate the
growth of natural bacteria that break down toxic hydrocarbons
from oil, the Environmental Protection Agency said Monday.

Under an agreement with the EPA, Exxon will apply nitrogen and
phosphorous to about two acres of beach along the southern shore
of Snug Harbor on Knight Island, one of the areas of Prince
William Sound hardest hit by the 10.9 million gallons of oil
spilled by the supertanker Exxon Valdez March 24.

The nitrogen and phosphorus are nutrients intended to stimulate
the growth of native micro-organisms in the sound that "eat"
certain toxic elements of the spilled crude oil.

The experiment, which is to begin June 8, could result in the
breakdown of toxic hydrocarbons within two to three years rather
than the five- to 10-year period required under normal
circumstances, said Dick Valentinetti, an official in EPA's
Office of Research and Development.

If successful, EPA officials said they might use the technique
in other parts of Prince William Sound as a way to get at oil
that has soaked deep into beaches.

"The hydrocarbons that would be removed are the ones most likely
to affect fish fry and other marine animals because they are the
most mobile in the environment," Valentinetti said.

EPA officials said treated beaches still would be blackened
because the bacteria do not attack tars and other heavier
constituents of oil. However, the remaining oil would be less
sticky, meaning it would be less likely to coat seals, otters and
birds.

Exxon, EPA and state officials in Alaska will monitor the
experiment to watch for damage to the environment.

Valentinetti said there is some concern the fertilizer would
enhance the growth of algae, which could choke off other ocean
life by gobbling up oxygen in the water.

In addition, he said that as bacteria break down hydrocarbons,
"secondary" toxic byproducts are released into the environment.
If the rate of degradation is accelerated enough, those
byproducts could reach harmful levels.

The EPA will issue a progress report on the experiment on July 1
and the test is expected to run 90 days.

Under the agreement with the EPA, Exxon will pay all the
operational costs of the experiment - about $3 million in cash
and resources - while EPA will spend $1.6 million for oversight
and independent analysis of results.
--
Gary S. Trujillo			      {linus,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!gnosys!gst
Somerville, Massachusetts		      {ima,stech,wjh12,cdp}!gnosys!gst

BHB3@PSUVM.BITNET (09/18/89)

There probably wouldn't be much problem, putting naturally occuring bateria
into the water where and oil spill has just occured, but I would think that
approval for use of geneticly engineered "oil-eating" bacteria is a long way of
f.
Releasing a virtually untested bacteria into the open environment could
have dire unseen consequences.

jay@banzai.PCC.COM (Jay Schuster) (09/19/89)

chiaravi@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Lucius Chiaraviglio) writes:
>In article <1989Sep17.193703.6598@cs.rochester.edu>
>>Can it survive in the environment of an underground oil deposit?
>All of the biological ways of eating oil that I have ever heard of
>involve oxidizing it with oxygen (biological ways of oxidizing it using
>sulfate or nitrate are conceivable, but I haven't heard of any).

An old housemate of mine specializes in biological degradation of toxic
wastes.  She says that what they do when they find ground
contamination is culture the soil to find the bacteria that
thrive on the gunk, and then find the conditions that make them
thrive best.  Then they inject the soil with this bacteria (that
was already there, they are just increasing the population) and
inject in whatever else the bacteria need (water, air, extra
nutrients).

Sounded pretty nifty to me.  She also said that they don't have
stock libraries of bacteria that eat particular toxins, because
bacteria are so incredibly abundant in the soil that any soil you
sample will have *something* in it.
--
Jay Schuster <jay@pcc.COM>	uunet!uvm-gen!banzai!jay, attmail!banzai!jay
The People's Computer Company	`Revolutionary Programming'

chi9@quads.uchicago.edu (Lucius Chiaraviglio) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan30.144806.14934@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> jwm@sun4.uucp (James W.
Meritt) writes:
>BTW:  Are the bioagents which are being planned to be used against the
>spill taylored to require the presence of sea water?  It does NOT look
>like a bug I would care to follow the slick back and get underground
>away from the ocean.  I can just envision the mideast as an area with
>food mines...  :-(

	I don't think you need to worry about this, unless oil-eating microbe
technology has made a truly awesome leap in the last <4 years.  At least as of
1987 (the date of publication of a book on anaerobic microbiology that I have
read; I have also found this information elsewhere), no microorganisms are
known which can consume hydrocarbons without using free oxygen.  Although the
amount of oxygen required is not necessarily equal to that needed for complete
oxidation of the hydrocarbons, oil deposits are almost certainly completely
devoid of free oxygen, at least in their natural state.  Even if some oxygen
were injected during attempts to get the oil out, it would be rapidly
consumed, thus bringing any oil degradation to a halt (assuming that this
started in the first place).  Besides, even if you pumped oxygen continuously
into an oil well (-: not a good idea :-), it would not be much available to
oil-eating microbes except at the surface of the oil and in the volume outside
of the oil (where they won't be able to eat the oil, of course), because
oxygen doesn't dissolve very well in liquid hydrocarbons (which is why you can
store sodium and other such water- and air- reactive metals under kerosene;
the surface of such metals under kerosene does get oxidized eventually, but
it takes many years of storage for the oxidized layer to get really thick).

	Completely anaerobic decomposition of hydrocarbons is
thermodynamically feasible under a variety of reasonable conditions for
microbial growth, but no one has found any organisms which do this, much to
the discouragement of those who wish to clean up oil spills with microbes,
since oil can form oxygen-excluding clots and/or seep into anaerobic areas of
soil.  I would predict that if such microbes were found or engineered, the
threat to underground pools of oil would still be limited, however, by the
general lack of water within volumes occupied by oil, and also by the
lessening of thermodynamic favorability of decomposition by the buildup of
metabolic waste products.  With decomposition of the oil limited to its
surface and limited in rate by the escape (if any) of metabolic waste
products, I would wager that we would still be guzzling the oil faster
ourselves than the microbes would.