[sci.military] Armed remotely piloted vehicles

heilpern@tbd.ARPA (Mark A. Heilpern ) (01/20/89)

In article <3212@cbnews.ATT.COM> mcvax!cernvax!solaris!wyle@uunet.UU.NET (Mitchell Wyle) writes:

>Why are RPV's not armed?  I can think of more than one mission for
>RPVs with varyious armament.
>
>A just-published book has a *closeup* photo of a mig-21 taken by a
>recon-RPV.  A stinger would have come in handy.

Remember Sgt. York?

Congress does not currently allow the use of robotic weapon systems because
there is not enough information on the reliability or security of these
systems.
Suppose you were out one day, flying your stinger-laden drone. Comrad X
[of the OTHER side] had enough intel. to build a project to instruct
YOUR drone to change course and release it's stinger in YOUR general
direction.

I hate it when someone borrows my toys without even asking :)