[sci.military] advances in cockpit design?

johnson@gregsun.cs.umd.edu (Greg Johnson ) (01/20/89)

I am curious about what might be called `computer aided pilot
environments.' I'm sure there's a lot of work going on in the area, but
I wouldn't even know what the area is called.  Both the Darpa pilot's
associate program and the work at Nasa Ames (I believe) on
human-computer interfaces in the cockpit would fall under this
category.  So, my questions:

1) Are darpa pilot's associate research programs still going?  If so,
where?  Could someone give a synopsis of the kinds of things that have
been attempted in the pilot's associate program?  What journals,
conferences, or books describe results in this area?

2) What companies and academic sites are doing research in modern
cockpit design?  I'm particularly curious about computer assistance in
jet fighters.  I'm wondering what sorts of ideas are being explored in
terms of providing pilots with information they can absorb quickly
and use in making tactical decisions in a fast-paced, high-stress
situation.  Again, where in the literature is this sort of thing discussed?

Thanks in advance!

- Greg Johnson
  johnson@mimsy.umd.edu

ricko@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (Rick O'Brien) (01/23/89)

In article <3286@cbnews.ATT.COM>, johnson@gregsun.cs.umd.edu (Greg Johnson ) writes:
> I am curious about what might be called `computer aided pilot
> environments.' [ some editing done].  So, my questions:
>
> 1) Are darpa pilot's associate research programs still going?  If so,
> where?  Could someone give a synopsis of the kinds of things that have
> been attempted in the pilot's associate program?  What journals,
> conferences, or books describe results in this area?
>
> 2) What companies and academic sites are doing research in modern
> cockpit design? [more editing ]
> Again, where in the literature is this sort of thing discussed?
> - Greg Johnson
A lot of these questions, and those of other people, are discussed in
great detail in 'Aviation Week', it's an expensive magazine ( especially
if you don't fit into the 'qualfied subscription' category; i.e. profesional
involved in the aerospace or defense fields) but it is generally available
in most libraries.

To answer some of your questions; there is still quite a bit of research
going on on the "pilot's assiciate."  I believe Lockheed is one of the
companies involved.  Progress has been so good that early versions are
being considered for use in the ATF program.  The Jan. 9 issue of AvWeek
has an article on an 'integrated pictoral cockpit display.'  A flight
path is programmed into an on board computer that projects a '3-D segmented
highway' over the couse the pilot is to fly.  A 'wingman' aircraft is
projected just ahead and to one side of the ribbon through the sky.  The
pilot will pick up visual cues from his wingman and the ribbon as to
speed, altitude, attitude, etc.  The system was used in simulators and in
an F-14 in a series of tests in 1985. It is also being evaluated for
use with helicoptors.  The pilot's associate is intended to do similar
things but will incorporate threat information and recommended avoidance
measures.

By the way, details of the AEGIS systems, detailed descriptions of all kinds
of military toys including some very nice photos of the B-2 ( AvWeek rented
a plane for the rollout and overflew the field.  It seems that no one
thought to prohibit that kind of thing.) can all be found in AvWeek.

Rick O'Brien  --No, I don't get a commision on subscriptions.