[sci.military] Army Control of Fighter Aircraft

major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt) (01/23/89)

In article <3117@cbnews.ATT.COM>, hp-sdd!mitchm@ucsd.edu (Mitch Mitchel) writes:

> In article <3037@cbnews.ATT.COM>, ssc-vax!shuksan!major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Duhh Major ) writes:
> >
> >    'Jumped by MiGs' even an Army Cobra pilot or Aerial Scout pilot is going
> >    to get the hell out of there as fast as they can.  And call frantically
> >    for - guess what? - Air Support!
> >

> Maybe not for long.  Last Spring I talked to an Army Air National Guard
> Colonel who said that the Army ANG is working out plans to equip their
> Cobras and Apaches with air-to-air missiles and to
> train the ANG helo pilots in some form of air-combat-maneuvering.  So
> probably in the next shoot 'em up, there will be some MiG kills done by
> Cobra or Apache pilots.  Now that's going to be some interesting
> video footage!

  I'm not sure that's correct usage for the gunships - it may make the
  pilots feel better that they have SOMETHING to defend themselves with.
  Perhaps equipping Army gunships with air-to-air missiles could be to
  engage Soviet Attack Helicoptors (Hinds and Hips).  I know that the Cobra
  pilots I used to work with in Germany said that if they ever spotted
  a Hind - they would have to turn and try to engage - because they couldn't
  outrun it.  Those of us in unarmed Scout Helos would just land and walk
  home :-).

  major