[sci.military] Air-to-Air Helicopter Combat

sheppard@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ken Sheppardson) (01/20/89)

In article <3204@cbnews.ATT.COM>, nak@cbnews.ATT.COM (Neil A. Kirby) writes:

> The standard load for years on the outermost pylons of the Apache is a
> pair of Sidewinders.

  No it's not.

  The Apache carries up to 16 Hellfires mounted on pylons in groups of
  four, or up to 4 2.75 in rocket pods, besides its permanently mounted
  head-tracked chain gun.

  There's been alot of talk about equiping the Apache with *Stingers*, but
  I don't believe that's ever been attempted to date.

  Some (most?) LHX concepts have a Stinger at the end of each pylon in a
  config similar to the way Sidewinders are mounted on the tips of the
  wings of the F-16 ( along with four Hellfires on each pylon ) and have
  avionics similar to air superiority fighters in many respects.

  The airframe of the Apache is strong enough to support the load from some
  pretty drastic maneuvers.  I believe the Apache is the only Helicopter
  to ever do a loop. Although in  one of the first few attepts the rotor sagged
  enough to scrape the canopy.

  The Apaches air-to-air combat capability has been demonstrated to the Army
  ( against an AV-8B ) and they were quite impressed.  Apache/Apache Air-to-air
  ( and I can only assume -- Apache/LHX and Apache/Hind ) is now quite common.
  ( Just do a hammerhead, Stop at the center of their turn, look at 'em, lead a
  little, and pull the trigger )

  NOTE : As a co-op at MDHC, I was never told just what I could talk about and
         what I couldn't, so I guess I should say that these opinions are not
         only not those of my former employer, but they may not even be my own.

                                             - Ken Sheppardson
                                               University of Michigan
                                               Aerospace Engine Deptartment

sheppard@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ken Sheppardson) (01/21/89)

I wasn't terribly clear in my last posting. Hopefully this will clear things
up and provide a little more info.

In article <3278@cbnews.ATT.COM>, I wrote:

>> The standard load for years on the outermost pylons of the Apache is a
>> pair of Sidewinders.
>
>   No it's not.

    [ While the Sidewinder has been TESTED on the Apache, it hasn't become   ]
    [ standard armament because -- for one thing -- the Army thinks it might ]
    [ tempt pilots to go looking for a fight instead of killing tanks like   ]
    [ they're supposed to be doing.                                          ]

>   The Apache carries up to 16 Hellfires mounted on pylons in groups of
>   four, or up to 4 2.75 in rocket pods, besides its permanently mounted
>   head-tracked chain gun.

    [ Each 2.75 in Hydra pod carries 19 unguided missles ]

>[...]
>   The Apaches air-to-air combat capability has been demonstrated to the Army
>   (against an AV-8B) and they were quite impressed.  Apache/Apache Air-to-air
>   ( and I can only assume -- Apache/LHX and Apache/Hind ) is now quite common.

    [While the Apache has indeed been flown against the Harrier, the A/A A/LHX ]
    [and A/Hind have been/ will be SIMULATED air-to-air combat.  MDHC has      ]
    [several simulators connected for what they call "dome-to-dome".  Each of  ]
    [the domes can be "flying" a different flight model.                       ]

>   (Just do a hammerhead,Stop at the center of their turn, look at 'em, lead a
>   little, and pull the trigger )

    [Hughes is investigating ways to make the Chain Gun more suitable for      ]
    [air-to-air combat, and Rockwell is looking at the feasability of giving   ]
    [the Hellfire an anti-helicopter capability by adding a proximity fuse and ]
    [modifying the control laws.                                               ]

fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (01/24/89)

In article <3278@cbnews.ATT.COM>, sheppard@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ken  Sheppardson) writes:

>   The airframe of the Apache is strong enough to support the load from some
>   pretty drastic maneuvers.  I believe the Apache is the only Helicopter
>   to ever do a loop.

Some of the Apache's technology was developed during the late '60s
in Lockheed's Cheyenne.  (I will now prepare for the roasting as it
turns out I got the name wrong...:})

It (not the Apache) was used to prove some new ideas in rotor systems,
and demonstrated loops several times, as well as setting some
rotorcraft speed records.

I went to high school a few miles from the Pt. Mugu NAS, and remember
one afternoon seeing a Cheyenne flying arund the area.  It was *loud*,
and the sound was quite different from any other helicopter I've head
before or since.  Similar to an OH-5 (Hughes/McD-D 500), but and octave
or so lower.

A couple of French helicopters have demonstrated loops, as has at least
one of Agusta's designs.  All of them tend to be careful to maintain
positive G throughout the maneuver.