[sci.military] "assault" rifle - definition?

hes@uncecs.edu (Henry Schaffer) (01/26/89)

From: Henry Schaffer <hes@uncecs.edu>

Since the word has been in the news recently, and people are discussing
bans on "assault" rifles, I've been wondering what it means.  I went to
Jane's book on Infantry Arms and they list lots of assault rifles, but
don't seem to define what that means nor list it in the glossary.  Does
it have an accepted definition?

Also there's been public concern about "paramilitary" weapons - which
seems to mean any weapon which more or less resembles a military weapon.
After looking through the Jane's book I'm amazed at how many weapons of
various types have been adopted by some military outfit, somewhere at
some time - maybe everything is "paramilitary"?

--henry schaffer  n c state univ

military@att.att.com (Bill Thacker) (01/26/89)

From: military@att.att.com (Bill Thacker)

Henry Schaffer <hes@uncecs.edu> writes:

>Since the word has been in the news recently, and people are discussing
>bans on "assault" rifles, I've been wondering what it means.  I went to
>Jane's book on Infantry Arms and they list lots of assault rifles, but
>don't seem to define what that means nor list it in the glossary.  Does
>it have an accepted definition?

Among the characteristics I would use to define an "assault rifle" are:

1) Compact overall design: shorter than a rifle or carbine, but longer
   than a submachinegun.  This applies especially to barrel length,
   meaning that designs (where the chamber is placed behind the trigger,
   shortening overall length), while about the size of submachineguns,
   would still be included. Length may be decreased by using a folding
   buttstock.

2) Use of a rifle cartridge: as opposed to a pistol cartridge.  This
   effects different ballistics, and means greater range, accuracy,
   penetration, and hitting power.

3) Use of a *small* rifle cartridge: as opposed to full-size cartridges
   which were standard in WWI and WWII rifles (e.g., 30-06, 8mm Mauser,
   7.62x54mm Russian).  Typical assault rifle equivalents are .308
   Winchester, 7.62 "kurz", and 7.62x39mm Soviet; others include 5.56mm
   NATO (.223), as used in the M-16/AR-15 and numerous other designs.
   The shorter cartridges allow greater control in full-auto fire, and
   allow more ammunition to be carried.

4) Large magazine capacity: Typically at least 20 rounds, with 30 being
   very common.

5) Selective fire: semiautomatic or full auto (although many modern
   rifles are forsaking full auto in favor of 3-round bursts).

I'm sure I've overlooked a few other characteristics, as well.  But
it's not an easy definition.

>Also there's been public concern about "paramilitary" weapons - which
>seems to mean any weapon which more or less resembles a military weapon.

Just a reminder, let's not get into gun control politics; if you're
interested, there's a lovely debate about it in talk.politics.misc.

Finally, a historical note.  The grandfather of modern assault rifles
was the 1916 Federov Avtomat, a Russian weapon.  Federov, in response
to a Russian requirement for self-loading rifles, realized that the
full-sized rifle cartridge was too powerful, and chose instead the
Japanese Arisaka 6.5x50.5mm round. He produced a self-loader, 40" long,
with a cyclic rate of fire of 600 rpm and a 25-round detachable magazine.
These were produced in small numbers, and saw use against the Germans
in 1916, and again against the Finns in 1939.

Reference: "The AK47 Story" by E.C. Ezell (1986, Stackpole, Harrisburg PA)
ISBN 0-8117-2247-3

Bill Thacker      moderator, sci.military      military@att.att.com

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State; the province of life
or death; the road to survival or ruin. It is mandatory that it be
thoroughly studied."   -  Sun Tzu