[sci.military] Red Storm Rising

okamoto%hpccc@hp-sde.sde.hp.com (Jeff Okamoto) (01/26/89)

From: Jeff Okamoto <okamoto%hpccc@hp-sde.sde.hp.com>

> With all this discussion of carrier survivability, I'm surprised
> nobody has mentioned the chapter in Tom Clancy's book "Red Storm
> Rising" that chronicles a Soviet ASM attack on a carrier task force.
> (I believe the title of the chapter was "Day of the Vampires," as
> 'vampire' is apparently the Navy term for an anti-ship missile.)
> The end result of the attack was a fairly damaged task force, due to
> a combination of Russian ECM, the size of the incoming missile raid,
> and ammunition limitations of the Aegis cruisers.

Also due to the fact that the U.S. F-14's were duped into firing
their Phoenix missiles at Kelt drones, not the Backfire bombers.

If the F-14's had had the chance to close to visual (i.e., video)
range, they might have spotted the deception and greatly reduced
the number of incoming missiles by destroying the Backfires.

FYI, the chapter title is "Dance of the Vampires".

 \      oo	The New Number Who,
  \____|\mm	Jeff Okamoto
  //_//\ \_\	HP Corporate Computing Center
 /K-9/  \/_/	okamoto%hpccc@hplabs.hp.com
/___/_____\	..!hplabs!hpccc!okamoto
-----------	(415) 857-6236