[sci.military] Gas warfare, how bad really?

punch@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (William F. Punch) (01/23/89)

This question arises because of the recent discussion vis-a-vi Iraq.
Also, I have been reading a book lately, "The Making of the Atomic
Bomb" by Richard Rhodes (Very good book if you are interested in the
politics of the thing) where a number of the scientists
defended their roles in gas warfare. James Bryant Conant, a president
of Harvard has this to say about his role

"I did not see in 1917, and do not see in 1968, why tearing a man's
guts out by a high-explosive shell is to be preferred to maiming him
by attacking his lungs or skin."

Rhodes claimed that in WW1, only 5% of the 21 million casualties were
from gas attacks, 30,00 deaths from gas vs. 9 million overall,
supporting the claim that when most widely used, it was a small
thought significant part of warfare.

So the question is, is the view taken by Mr. Conant true or is there
more to the story. That is, is there REALLY any difference to gas
warfare versus regular bombardment in terms of destructive capability?
I mean, assuming regular "rules-of-the-road" tactics, does gas warfare
represent a significant escalation in destruction? Even assuming
terrorist activities, is it worse than a bomb

It seems to me (wholly ignorant on the subject so strictly uninformed
opinion) that it would be no worse. The only two differences would
seem to be the novelty (and horror) of gas (though dismemberment seems
just as bad) and the potential for more civilian casualties if it were
used as a civilian weapon, since more tech. might be needed to fend it
off than bombs. As a terrorist weapon it is perhaps "more deadly", but
I wonder beyond that.

Bottom line, is the fuss being put up all that realistic given the
normal weapons these kinds of countries have?

 There is no such thing as a problem    *	     >>>Bill Punch<<<
 without a gift for you in its hands. 	*	punch@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
 You seek problems because you need	*         ...!att!osu-cis!punch
 their gifts.		R. Bach 	*  2036 Neil Ave;OSU;Columbus, OH 43210

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) (01/24/89)

In article <3357@cbnews.ATT.COM>, punch@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (William F. Punch) writes:
> Also, I have been reading a book lately, "The Making of the Atomic
> Bomb" by Richard Rhodes (Very good book if you are interested in the
> politics of the thing)...

Let me strongly second the recommendation of this book.  It's a
comprehensive discussion of entire history of the construction of the
bomb (and won a Pulitzer Prize, if I recall correctly).  It starts with
things like how the neutron was discovered, goes into the personalities
of the various folks involved, the technical details (the part most
often overlooked in popular depictions of an atomic bomb is the
``initiator'' -- the gadget that emits the initial neutrons -- and it
turns out to be a very difficult gadget indeed), the politics, and the
morality.  I do quarrel with some of the conclusions -- I very strongly
do not feel that the morality of bombing cities can be equated with the
Holocaust, even though the former is ethically very questionable -- but
the book as a whole is still worth reading.  (One of my favorite
vignettes concerns the effort to manufacture explosive lenses of
sufficiently high-quality for the implosion.  Some of the castings had
small cavities, which would disturb the symmetry of the explosion.  So
the explosives expert *drilled* into the blocks (using a dentist's
drill) and filled the cavities with fresh slurry!  He didn't know if it
was safe, so he refused to ask anyone else to do it.)

		--Steve Bellovin
		ulysses!smb

military@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (01/25/89)

>Rhodes claimed that in WW1, only 5% of the 21 million casualties were
>from gas attacks, 30,00 deaths from gas vs. 9 million overall...

It is a verifiable fact that there were very few deaths or permanent
injuries from gas in WWI; most gas casualties recovered completely.
(In particular, despite the well-known depictions of gas-blinded
soldiers, very few gas blindings were permanent -- many fewer than
blindings by shell splinters.)  Prepared soldiers were seldom hurt
much by gas attack, in fact; it was primarily a harassing tactic.

(In WWII, serious consideration was given to saturating Japanese-held
islands with mustard gas for a few days before landings, to reduce the
notoriously high effectiveness of the defences by forcing soldiers to
spend several days in gas suits.)

One may question, however, to what extent this experience is applicable
to modern persistent nerve agents.  The modern chemicals kill in much
smaller doses, can be absorbed through the skin, and dissipate much less
quickly.  It is very difficult to protect soldiers against them, and
significant protection for civilians is virtually impossible.  Civilian
deaths in a modern gas war would be massive.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

john@jclyde.cactus.org (John B. Meaders Jr.) (01/25/89)

In article <3357@cbnews.ATT.COM> punch@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (William F. Punch) writes:

>Bottom line, is the fuss being put up all that realistic given the
>normal weapons these kinds of countries have?

Speaking as a soldier, all I can say is that my main reason I am against
chemical warfare is that it is a pain.  Combat effectiveness of troops is
drastically reduced when wearing MOPP (Mission Oriented Protective Posture)
gear.  However, I can't really see any fault with your article since it is
mainly academic whether it is worse to be maimed by HE or chemicals.

John B. Meaders, Jr.
2LT, QM
USA
--
John B. Meaders, Jr.  BS Petroleum Engineering  UT '88
1114 Camino La Costa #3083, Austin, TX  78752

c60c-3ar%web-3d.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Raymond Tam) (01/26/89)

From: c60c-3ar%web-3d.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Raymond Tam)

>One may question, however, to what extent this experience is applicable
>to modern persistent nerve agents.  The modern chemicals kill in much
>smaller doses, can be absorbed through the skin, and dissipate much less
>quickly.

  This is a very good point.  Whereas the gas used in WWI were not designed
solely for killing enemy soldiers (they were irritants, supposedly), nerve
agents are designed to kill, not incapacitate soldiers.  Also, mustard gas
and chlorine gas, often used in WWI, could be detected *before*
concentrations of the gas proved harmful.  Modern nerve agents, however,
are oderless and usually very difficult to  detect visually.  I've heard
that there may be battlefield instruments to detect nerve agents, but I'm
not sure (anyone care to comment?).  Even so, it does not seem very probable
or practical that all areas in a combat zone will have one of these, even
if they do exist.

>  It is very difficult to protect soldiers against them, and
>significant protection for civilians is virtually impossible.  Civilian
>deaths in a modern gas war would be massive.

  Very true.  A modern war involving nerve agents in Europe or any other
densly poplulated area would kill a very significant portion of the
civilian population, especially since some gases won't disippate for days.

				Raymond Tam