[sci.military] Successes of Antitank missiles

major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt) (03/24/89)

From: ssc-vax!shuksan!major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt)

> >     It had an 82% hit rate.  In "73, the Russian TOW "Sagger" stopped
> >     the Israeli armour, and in "82 the new TOWs slashed through T-72

> 	Could you please elaborate? I thought that during the '73 war,
> The Israeli Armor was superior to the Syrians? (It's been a while since
> I reviewed the public information about the war.)

  In the initial stages of the '73 War, the 'Suitcase SAGGER' had a
  devestating effect on Israeli Armor.   The first reason was that their
  effectiveness was a surprise (80% at 3,000 meters).  But, the major
  reason was that - in an effort to reach the Egyptian Attack (before it
  penetrated too far into Israeli territory) - the Israeli tanks outstripped
  their infantry trying to keep up in slower halftracks.  Therefore, they
  met the Egyptian Forces (w/SAGGERs) without infantry protection.
  (Big NO-NO in armored warfare).  It wasn't until the Israelis 1) developed
  'Sagger Overwatch' techniques 2) received M113 Armored Personnel Carriers
  (from U.S. stocks in storage in Europe) that they achieved 'parity' on
  the battlefield and reduced Sagger effectiveness.

  Yes, the Israeli 'Super Sherman' (and upgunned Sherman Tank w/105mm gun)
  and 'new' M60A1s (again from U.S. stocks in Europe) was superior to the
  Egyptian and Syrian T-54/55 (from Soviet stocks in Europe :-)

  The biggest complaint that Israeli Tank commanders had about the M60A1
  was the tendency for the hydrolic fluid in the commander's coupola to
  burst into flames - much to the distress of the guy standing in the hatch.

  major