[sci.military] Invasion of Japan Casualty Estimates

moshe@ihnet.att.com (Moshe Yudkowsky) (03/24/89)

From: moshe@ihnet.att.com  (Moshe Yudkowsky)
>From: fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix)
>> Also, did Eisenhower know about the A bomb before it was dropped?
>
>Why should he have known?  He was Supreme Commander of the European
>theater.  His boss, General Marshall *did* know what was coming up.
>Eisenhower had no need to know.

Omar Bradley, (US Forces Ground Commander, Europe) either in "A
Soldier's Story" or "A General's Story,"
states that Eisenhower alluded to the atomic bomb in a conversation.
Bradley said that Eisenhower was clearly "talking out of turn."

On a separate subject:  Toland's book "Infamy."  What is the
consensus on this book?  His primary sources look pretty convincing;
 he makes a convincing case that Roosevelt knew what was going to
happen, and when.

The missing piece of any retrospective, whether about Pearl Harbor
or that ill-fated Pan Am flight, is -- I am guessing here --
that the intelligence services receive a million warnings, but only
in retrospect is it clear which one is correct.

Has anyone read a history of Pearl Harbor which addresses this issue?

--
     Moshe Yudkowsky   moshe@ihnet.att.com  att!ihnet!moshe
"He either fears his fate too much / or his deserts are too small,