[sci.military] Question about Soviet Tactical Missiles

major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt) (03/25/89)

From: ssc-vax!shuksan!major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt)

> FM 100-2-3 states that Tank and Motorized Rifle Divisions have an
> SSM battalion.  I'm working with a scenario from the TRADOC
> Common Teaching Scenario in which the divisions have Free Rocket
> Over Ground (FROG) battlions.  Are FROG battalions a kind of SSM
> battalion?  I would have expected to see a battalion with a SS-n
> designation.

  Tank/Mtz Divisions have an 'organic' Rocket Launcher Battalion with
  FROG-7 UNGUIDED surface-to-surface missiles.  So, yes, a FROG Battalion
  is a kind of SSM battalion.

  At 'Army' and 'Front' level are found Rocket Launcher Brigades with
  'SCUD-B' interial guided SSMs.

  major
                      "Give me a battalion volley of FROG-7s!"
                      "Will adjust."