[sci.military] Computers on B-29's

ferguson@x102c.harris-atd.com (ferguson ct 71078) (03/25/89)

From: ferguson@x102c.harris-atd.com (ferguson ct 71078)
In article <5071@cbnews.ATT.COM> dasys1!reynolds@phri (Brian Reynolds) writes:

>From: dasys1!reynolds@phri (Brian Reynolds)
>

>I can not give specific references but I am almost positive that the
>B-29 (and other American bombers) did have computers on board.  On the
>B-29 I think the bombsight was computerized.  <stuff omitted>  The computer
>may have been analog and was obviously made from tubes.  <more omitted>

Have you ever seen one these tube type Nordens?  You can occasionally
find Norden bombsights on WWII bombers at a flying museum airshow
(e.g., Confederate Air Force).  I have seen several.  Their
"computers" are optical/mechanical.  Nonetheless, they are somewhat
sophisticated and I can understand why they would be sensitive.  The
only electrical components I have observed on or about them
corresponded to the bomb release mechanism which was a box full of
relays.

Chuck Ferguson             Harris Government Information Systems Division
(407) 984-6010             MS: W1/7732  PO Box 98000  Melbourne, FL 32902
Internet:                  ferguson@cobra@trantor.harris-atd.com
uunet:                     uunet!x102a!x102c!ferguson