[sci.military] Patton III

military@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (03/24/89)

From: William M. Aldo <dsacg1!dsacg3!nzt1939>

    When I got to Germany in late February '72, there was a 'cute'
    story about Gen. Patton III: supposedly, he recently had visited
    our unit (before my arrival), because his father had done so dur-
    ing the "Big One" -- you know, WWII. He crawled up on a tank (an
    M-60A1) to "check it out" and fell off. IMAGINE -- an armor offi-
    cer falling off of a tank -- a Patton, no less! Dad was probably
    rolling over in his grave.

    Shortly after leaving Germany in late August '74, I read where
    he got another star and was placed in charge of PR in Stuttgart.
    I bet dad loved that one, too.

    ---

Mark Aldo                                      (osu-cis)!dsacg1!waldo
>From the Internet:                       waldo%dsacg1.uucp@daitc.arpa
Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center     | 614-238-5811
DSAC-ZTB, P.O.Box 1605, Columbus, Ohio  43216          | AV  850-5811
All views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.

major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt) (03/29/89)

From: ssc-vax!shuksan!major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt)

  > Shortly after leaving Germany in late August '74, I read where
  > he got another star and was placed in charge of PR in Stuttgart.

  As Deputy Commanding General of VII Corps in Stuttgart, he was a
  two-star.  The DCG VII Corps wears another hat called Commander of
  the Stuttgart Region (or something like that - sorta like Garrison
  Commander).  This was in the time-frame of '77-'79.   When LTG (3-stars)
  Julius T. Becton took command of VII Corps - Patton had to leave.
  Becton and Patton had been Major Generals together at Fort Hood.
  Patton commanded the 2d Armored Division (I think) and Becton had
  commanded the 1st Cavalry Division.   As MGs, Patton outranked Becton.
  Patton wanted to move to Northern Germany and take command of what was
  to be the III Corps (Fwd) at Garlstadt.  (III Corps never moved a forward
  headquarters to Garlstadt - only the 2d Armored Division, Forward is
  there).  Well, he never got that command either.

  To the best of my knowledge he returned to the states to 'command' the
  Tank-Automotive Command (under Army Materiel Command), at Warren, Mich.
  Shortly thereafter, he retired from active duty.  I don't think he ever
  got a third star.

  > fell off a tank.......

  Hey, easy to do, right?  I've fallen off a few - and have had my bell wrung
  by an unsecured hatch, and fingers pinched in a slamming hatch and thrown
  a track on a steep slope -----

  BTW:  Patton III commanded the 11th Cavalry Regiment in Vietnam as a
        Colonel.

  major