[sci.military] Guard and Reserves

major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt) (03/24/89)

From: ssc-vax!shuksan!major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt)

    To my knowledge the British also have a 'reserve' component which
    they call the "Territorials".  These units, made up of former
    active duty soldiers are responsible for 'home defence'.

    The German Bundeswehr also has a reseve or Territorial force known
    as the WBK (Wehrbereitskommando) which is a headquarters-type unit
    in each German 'Land' (State) equivilent to our National Guard.
    Subordinate units are VBK (Verbereitskommando) which can be military
    police units, signal units, light infantry companies, rail and
    transportation security, and civil affairs.  Their major function in
    wartime is to assist NATO in transporting to the battlefields and what
    is called "host nation support".  The WBK and VBK are usually called
    to 'active duty' during REFORGER exercises.

    This is what I can remember about the WBK/VBK and the very fine officers
    that supported my units in Germany.  There may be more information
    details that I've omitted (or could be in error).

    major

thomasw@vlsi3.cs.concordia.ca (03/29/89)

From: thomasw@vlsi3.cs.concordia.ca

In article <5114@cbnews.ATT.COM> ssc-vax!shuksan!major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt) writes:

>	[.. stuff about British reserves deleted..]
>
>    The German Bundeswehr also has a reserve or Territorial force known
>    as the WBK (Wehrbereitskommando) which is a headquarters-type unit
>    in each German 'Land' (State) equivilent to our National Guard.

Actually, the WBK (Wehrbereichskommando, or defense territorial command) is
an administrative center in charge of staffing (who gets drafted/assigned to
which unit) and supplies, it is not a military command or unit even though the
name might imply such.  The "territory" referred to is the area the WBK is
responsible for, which usually (but not always) follows state boundaries; this,
however, is only an administrative zone - the WBK is, like all German military
forces, under the command of the (federal) ministry of defense and the defense
minister (secretary of defense).  There are no state-run military forces equi-
valent to the National Guard; police forces, however, are funded, equipped, and
commanded separately by each state (with the exception of the federally-run
border police, of which GSG-9 (Grenzschutzgruppe 9, or border guard group #9)
is a part).

>    Subordinate units are VBK (Verbereitskommando) which can be military
>    police units, signal units, light infantry companies, rail and
>    transportation security, and civil affairs.  Their major function in
>    wartime is to assist NATO in transporting to the battlefields and what
>    is called "host nation support".  The WBK and VBK are usually called
>    to 'active duty' during REFORGER exercises.

I think VBK stands for Verteidigungsbereichskommando (defense area command),
but I'm not sure anymore about its exact function (it's been a while..); in any
case, they would not "be called on active duty", but would be the ones who do
the calling up of reserves (on orders from the secretary of defense).

The units called up for active duty during REFORGER would most likely be coming
from the reserves and the territorial army.  The reserves are formed by soldiers
recently released from active duty and are usually assigned to flesh out
existing formations (eg. platoons 3 and 4 of a four-platoon company would be
formed from the reserves upon mobilization, while platoons 1 and 2 consist of
active-duty soldiers, mostly draftees); usually, draftees are part of the
reserves for one year after their release, NCOs and officers for several years.
After the release from the reserves, you become part of a territorial army
formation until you are released at age 42; territorial army formations have
no affiliation with regular army formations, they could probably be compared
to the British Home Guard.  Members of both reserves and territorial army have
most of their gear at home (no guns, though :-(); theoretically, reserves are
on 24- or 48-hour alert (I forget which).

>    This is what I can remember about the WBK/VBK and the very fine officers
>    that supported my units in Germany.  There may be more information
>    details that I've omitted (or could be in error).
>

>    major

I'm writing all this from memory and it's been about 10 years, so some of
this is a bit fuzzy; correct me where I'm wrong.

I also have a question: there is this Army(?) TV commercial I've seen a couple
of times in which this guy returns home, obviously after joining the Army
against his parents wishes.  I noticed he's wearing a crescent-shaped blue
shoulder patch saying "1st (?) Mountain Division" on his uniform.  I've
never heard of this formation elsewhere and would like to learn more about it,
ie. about its history, what its intended role is in the scheme of the U.S.
military forces (repel invasions from Canada? :-)), any special mountaineering
equipment or training they may have and so on.  Maybe someone out there could
fill me in?

Thomas Wieland
(formerly with 2nd/221st Gebirgsjagerbattalion,
1st (German) Mountain Division)

major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt) (04/03/89)

From: ssc-vax!shuksan!major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt)

  Thomas,

  Thank you very much for your info on the WBK/VBK - -

  > "1st (?) Mountain Division"

     This is the 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry) at Fort Drum, NY.
     I don't know much more about it.  It's probably formed with 2 active
     brigades and a 'round-out' National Guard or Reserve third brigade.
     I believe, historicaly, the 10th Mtn Div operated in Italy during
     WWII.  I'll have to do some research.  I believe MG Carpenter (West
     Point's football 'lonesome end') was the first CG when they actived
     the 10th a couple of years ago.

> (formerly with 2nd/221st Gebirgsjagerbattalion,
> 1st (German) Mountain Division)

     Is the tradition still alive that, for a German Mountain Trooper to
     show his 'true love' for his girlfriend, that he must climb a mountain
     and pick an edelweiss and bring it back to her.  (Even though the
     edelweiss flower is protected.)

   major mike
   (former G2 Liaison to the 35th PanzerGrenadier Brigade)