[sci.military] Reactor Cooling

willner%cfa183@harvard.harvard.edu (Steve Willner P-316 x57123) (04/05/89)

From: willner%cfa183@harvard.harvard.edu (Steve Willner P-316 x57123)
[In my opinion, most of the speculation on cold fusion is grossly
premature, but it seems worthwhile to clarify one aspect of existing
fission technology.]

Someone wrote:
> [in putative cold fusion power] the lack of heat generation from
> fission products would eliminate the nuclear sub's biggest silencing
> problem:  the need to keep reactor cooling going at all times.

to which someone else, missing the point, replied:
> Just why do you think that fusion plants would run without
> generating heat as a fission plant does?  The reason fission plants
> create heat & require reactor pumps is that that's how one gets the
> energy out of the reaction!

The point is that it may be possible to turn a fusion plant
completely off.  That is not possible with a fission plant, since
approximately one-third of the heat generation comes from decay of
fission products rather than from the chain reaction in progress.
(Obviously the exact values depend on the reactor design and on how
long it has already been running.)  In the Three Mile Island
accident, for example, the chain reaction was stopped almost
immediately, but the decay heat of the fission products still melted
much of the core.