[sci.military] Rocky Troops was Re: U.S. 10th Mountain Division

esco@tank.uchicago.edu (ross paul weiner) (04/05/89)

From: "ross paul weiner" <esco@tank.uchicago.edu>
In article <5328@cbnews.ATT.COM> you write:

>More interesting to you, maybe, is the National Guard Mountain
>Battalion formed in Vermont (with a Company in New Hampshire).  These
>troops ARE real mountain troops, and do receive the specialized
>training, tactics and equipment akin to the Gebirgstruppen.  They also
>run a Mountain Warfare School in Vermont, with two 2-week courses,
>summer (climbing) and winter (skiing).  The U.S. Army also maintains a
>mountain school at Fort Greely, Alaska, and there is a Light Infantry

There was an interesting article about the Vermont school in a recent
issue of Army magazine.  Also, I remember hearing that the Marines of all
people run a mountaineering school in California.

--

	Ross P. Weiner		Dandy Dirks Discount Disclaimers
	esco@tank.uchicago.edu	 "You can't sue me, I'm broke!"