[sci.military] Info request on Japanese destroyer

gahooten@ames.arc.nasa.gov (04/05/89)

From: gahooten@ames.arc.nasa.gov

Probably the most famous of the Japanese destroyers is the
Fubuki class, but I am interested in information on a smaller
group named, I believe, the Shimikaze.  It was a 40+ knot
destroyer with a high pressure steam turbine.  What was its
actual rated speed?  What was its armament?  All I remember is
lots of Torpedos (10?).  Any other info i.e. displacement,
launch, number in class, and sources of info would be great.
My library is in Hawaii basking, while I sit in Oakland.

military@att.att.com (Bill Thacker) (04/05/89)

From: military@att.att.com (Bill Thacker)

>Probably the most famous of the Japanese destroyers is the
>Fubuki class, but I am interested in information on a smaller
>group named, I believe, the Shimikaze.  It was a 40+ knot
>destroyer with a high pressure steam turbine.  What was its
>actual rated speed?  What was its armament?  All I remember is
>lots of Torpedos (10?).  Any other info i.e. displacement,
>launch, number in class, and sources of info would be great.

From  Jentshura, Jung, and Mickel, _Warships of the Imperial Japanese Navy_
	(Naval Institute Press, Annapolis, 1986)

The Shimakaze (1941, not to be confused with the same name in
1918) was built as part of the 1939 program.  She was to be a prototype for
a new "cruiser" type, with advanced machinery.

Laid down 1941, completed 1943 by Maizuru, she displaced 3048 tons.
413 ft long at the waterline, with a beam of 36'9", and drawing 13'7".
She drove a 2-shaft geared turbine set from 3 Kampon boilers; total shaft
horsepower was 75000, which was good for 39 knots.  Radius was 1400 miles
at 30 knots.  The turbines were of a new design, producing 50% more power
than previous turbines; on trials, 40.9 kts was reached on 79240 shp.

Original armament was 6x5"/50 dual purpose guns, 6x25mm AA guns, 18 DC's,
and 15x24" torpedo tubes, she was later (1944) rearmed by deleting a 5"
double turret (original layout was one fore, two aft; I'd assume the
superfiring aft turret was deleted), and adding 8 25mm. By June of
1944, she carried a total of 28x25mm guns and 4x13mm, in addition to
her 4 mains.  The torpedoes were carried in 3 quintuple tubes.

Shimakaze was sunk 11 November, 1944 by aircraft from TF38 some 55 miles
northeast of Cebu.  A further 16 units of this type were planned under
the 1942 program, but were never ordered.

Hope this helps.

Bill Thacker      moderator, sci.military      military@att.att.com
		      (614) 860-5294
"War is a matter of vital importance to the State; the province of life
or death; the road to survival or ruin. It is mandatory that it be
thoroughly studied."   -  Sun Tzu