[sci.military] Cold fusion on the battlefield...

wbralick@BLACKBIRD.AFIT.AF.MIL (William A. Bralick) (03/27/89)

From: wbralick@BLACKBIRD.AFIT.AF.MIL (William A. Bralick)

Given the recent (apparent) discovery of fusion technology available
at room temperature (!!!!), how can we apply this to the battlefield?

I have a feeling that loiter times for aircraft might become a non-issue.

Land forces logistics would become similar to the nuclear navy, i.e.
you don't have to worry about running out of gas.

SDI might not have to worry about how to power all those space-based
lasers.

How about armored fighting suits with hydraulic assists.

The question is just how many problems are solved (and what new ones
are created) by potentially unlimited energy available in the field?

Regards,
--
Will Bralick : wbralick@afit-ab.arpa  |  If we desire to defeat the enemy,
Air Force Institute of Technology,    |  we must proportion our efforts to
                                      |  his powers of resistance.
with disclaimer;  use disclaimer;     |               - Carl von Clauswitz

asulaima@udenva.cair.du.edu (SULAIMAN) (03/28/89)

From: asulaima@udenva.cair.du.edu (SULAIMAN)

In article <5138@cbnews.ATT.COM> wbralick@BLACKBIRD.AFIT.AF.MIL (William A. Bralick) writes:

>Given the recent (apparent) discovery of fusion technology available
>at room temperature (!!!!), how can we apply this to the battlefield?

Fusion technology!!! When did that occur or did I just miss the news the past
couple of days. May be you are confusing room temperature super-conductors
with fusion. The Room Temp SuperConductor is believed to help us reach the
goal of fusion technology but RTSC is an extremely new technology by itself.

However if I have missed the news the effects will be dramatic. The dream
of Magnetically accelerated projectile cannons(Gauss guns/Rail guns) would
be a reality. Battlefield lasers will be for the first time practical.
StarWars may work, assuming they get the coding done before 2100 CE.
On the flip side oil would become redundant and thus weapon manufacturing
costs may be reduced in the long run...

Anyway personally I thought fusion tech. was 10-20 years down the line
and even the people trying to create small controlled fusion reactions
(berkeley or Caltech) have been using massive amounts of equip. and
money with limited results.

My 2 cents :)

	Ameer Z. Sulaiman

[mod.note: I have just today rejected a number of postings on this
Cold Fusion topic.  While I understand the potential military significance,
it seems to me that this is still in the "laboratory oddity" stage, and
far too speculative for meaningful discussion.  I would advise interested
parties (and make no mistake, that includes me !) to read sci.misc, where
these articles have been crossposted.

Further, if you disagree, and feel the topic should be covered here,
write me and let me know.  I'm flexible to whatever you want to read.
- Bill ]

nmm@apss.ab.ca (Neil McCulloch) (03/29/89)

From: nmm@apss.ab.ca (Neil McCulloch)

[mod.note:  I've received several replies to my position on
the Cold Fusion topic.  Mostly, the readers seem interested in
the concept and it's progress, and especially in military
applications, but don't want lots of pie-in-the-sky.  Mr.
McCulloch sums it up pretty well...   - Bill ]

Hi! Yup, I'm interested in what the implication of this new
technology might be in the military sphere, though the
preliminary postings on the matter in sci.military have been
disappointingly of the gee whiz what if category and then the
imaginations take off.

As I see it the sci part of the topic here concerns:

Look, it may be fusion and it may work, but it ain't necessarily
gonna change anything. What matters is energy density and this
is a really big concern. So the point is, try to consider the
implications of this *scientifically*. Novel concept!

Given that it does work, the implications geopolitically are
enormous. Consider, distributed power grids, cheap energy, what
happens to oil and so on. A large portion of the world's military
posture is concerned with the protection of oil supply routes.

Note that this is a civilian "advance" that may have impact on
military activity. Somewhat different from the opposite which is
what has usually happened.

Lot's of interesting side bars to this story, but the gee whiz stuff
send to /dev/nul please.

BTW, was the transistor a civilian or military development. I suspose
the question is, what was the source of funds that Shockley et al
used to develop the transistor?

Have a nice day, eh!

neil

mchamp@wpi.wpi.edu (Marc J. Champagne) (03/29/89)

From: mchamp@wpi.wpi.edu (Marc J. Champagne)

I think that this cold-fusion breakthrough has a great deal of
   potential for destroyer/frigate type powerplants, and should
   definately be discussed here.

Because of the long "charging time" for the type of fusion device just
   produced in Utah (10 hours are needed to saturate the palladium rod
   with deuterium before fusion can occur), this technology is
   probably NOT a good candidate for submarine applications.  I can
   just imagine some poor sub-jockey powering down his reactor for a
   covert mission....and then having too creep back out for 10 hours
   on his emergency batteries because the duterium ions flew out of
   the palladium matrix.  And considering the power needs for an
   aircraft carrier or a large cruiser, you're probably just as well
   off with a fusion plant.  We have proven reactor designs out there,
   and with just a few CGNs and CVNs uranium fuel isn't too hard to
   supply.

But think about the possibilities if you start dropping fusion plants
   into destroyers and frigates.  We have a little over 50 each of the
   Knox and Perry class frigates.  They don't exactly have a fantastic
   range at high speeds.....it's hard to fit a large fuel bunker in
   such a small hull.  That poor range places a pretty heavy demand on
   the Navy's logistics capabilities.  Fuel oil and gasoline are
   pretty plentiful (at least until the next oil crunch), but the
   fleet isn't exactly teaming with AOs and AOEs.  If we can manage to
   drop a fusion plant into one of our future generations of frigates,
   we'll be looking at convoy escorts with 1,000,000+ ranges off of
   one deuterium fueling with horsepower comperable to or better than
   today's power plants.  Both platinum and palladium (the electrode
   materials in the Utah fusion experiment) have melting points higher
   than 1000 C...... that translates into some pretty high pressure
   steam.

One other poster to this newsgroup mentioned possible application of
   the technology to land combat (man portable fusion packs).
   Although that is completely impossible using this technology (the
   Utah fusion plant will give you a lethal neutron dose in 20 minutes
   within 1 meter at 4 watts if unshielded), there may be some
   eventual application to large aircraft.

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear about other people's opinions on the
   possible military applications of this technology.

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (03/30/89)

From: mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson)

Anyone interested in device geometry might be interested in the paper
"Production of High Magnetic Fields By Implosion" by Fowler et al
in JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSICS vol 31 no 3 March 1960.

It's a paper by some folks at Los Alamos describing a simple gadget for
converting explosives to a powerful magnetic field.  The same gadget can
be used to created enormous pressure for a few microseconds.

Materials, composition, and exact dimensions are all revealed.  In summary,
a capacitor bank is dumped into a one-turn coil made from a cylinder of
pipe with a slit in it.  This creates a high initial field.  The cylinder
is then crushed by a ring-shaped charge of Composition B (64/35/1:RDX/TNT/wax)
The slit is closed by the detonation, and then the radius of the pipe is
reduced.  The flux from the initial field is confined to a smaller and
smaller space.  This is how its density is increased.

If loading deuterium into palladium can produce fusion, conceivably pressure
might load more deuterium quicker.
Also note that a big pulse of electricity can be
obtained by placing a coil in the magnetic field (I believe devices derived
from this gadget are used for EMP testing of military equipment).

[mod.note:  "Sci.military guideline 13B: If it makes a loud enough BANG,
it's suitable for sci.military"  8-)  - Bill ]

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>But think about the possibilities if you start dropping fusion plants
>   into destroyers and frigates...
>Anyway, I'd be curious to hear about other people's opinions on the
>   possible military applications of this technology.

There is an obvious big one:  diesel-electric submarines become totally
obsolete, even for the smallest nations.  Not only would such fusion
plants be easier to build and run, the lack of heat generation from
fission products would eliminate the nuclear sub's biggest silencing
problem:  the need to keep reactor cooling going at all times.  Now
nuclear subs too could sit on the bottom and shut down *everything*.

This won't necessarily make everyone equal underwater.  It still takes
technological sophistication to make subs really quiet while underway,
and quite a lot of sophistication to build really good passive sonars.
(One reason why diesel-electric boats are currently much cheaper than
nuclear ones is that they are designed for less ambitious missions and
don't generally have first-class sonar.)  But diesel-electric subs will
vanish completely, and it should also be possible to build really small
nuclear subs for the first time.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

dmc@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Dave Cole) (04/03/89)

From: dmc@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Dave Cole)

In article <5269@cbnews.ATT.COM> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>There is an obvious big one:  diesel-electric submarines become totally
>obsolete, even for the smallest nations.  Not only would such fusion
>plants be easier to build and run, the lack of heat generation from
>fission products would eliminate the nuclear sub's biggest silencing
>problem:  the need to keep reactor cooling going at all times.  Now
>nuclear subs too could sit on the bottom and shut down *everything*.

Just why do you think that fusion plants would run without generating
heat as a fission plant does?  The reason fission plants create heat &
require reactor pumps is that that's how one gets the energy out of the
reaction!  It would seem to me that the energy created by fusion, in the
form of gamma rays and neutrons, can only effectively be harnessed in the
same way, by making it heat up some working fluid and run a turbine.  Then
there would be no advantage over fission, at least in terms of heat
generation.

Now if the fusion plants can be made much smaller than existing fission
plants, we definitely have the option of making much smaller subs, which
could take the place of diesel-electric.  Running at slow speeds with
the reactor cooled via convection they'd be just about as silent as a
sub running on electric, with a much improved ability to stay on station,
just like our current nuke boats.

--
---------
Dave Cole

gunzler@CS.UCLA.EDU (Mitch Gunzler) (04/05/89)

From: gunzler@CS.UCLA.EDU (Mitch Gunzler)

In article <5197@cbnews.ATT.COM> mchamp@wpi.wpi.edu (Marc J. Champagne) writes:

>One other poster to this newsgroup mentioned possible application of
>   the technology to land combat (man portable fusion packs).
>   Although that is completely impossible using this technology (the
>   Utah fusion plant will give you a lethal neutron dose in 20 minutes
>   within 1 meter at 4 watts if unshielded), there may be some
>   eventual application to large aircraft.

What about carrying batteries and recharging them at the Armored Transport
or other resupply point?  This requires a certain level of battery technology,
which I know nothing about.  The power problem becomes like the ammo problem;
how much does it (in batteries) weigh and how do we resupply - not cost.

Comments always appreciated.

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)

>>There is an obvious big one:  diesel-electric submarines become totally
>>obsolete, even for the smallest nations.  Not only would such fusion
>>plants be easier to build and run, the lack of heat generation from
>>fission products would eliminate the nuclear sub's biggest silencing
>>problem:  the need to keep reactor cooling going at all times...
>
>Just why do you think that fusion plants would run without generating
>heat as a fission plant does?  The reason fission plants create heat &
>require reactor pumps is that that's how one gets the energy out of the
>reaction!

You've missed the point entirely, I'm afraid.  When the power plant is
running, yes, the two are quite similar.  But fission plants cannot ever
be completely shut down, which was my point.  The trouble is that after
they've been running for a while, they accumulate substantial amounts of
radioactive fission products, which continue to generate quite a bit of
heat even if the reactor is nominally switched off.  So cooling must be
kept going even if no fission is taking place.  This is a significant noise
problem for submarines.  The problem can be dealt with moderately well,
if you're willing to make enough compromises, but it cannot be eliminated.
Fusion plants (probably) would not face this.

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>What about carrying batteries and recharging them at the Armored Transport
>or other resupply point?  This requires a certain level of battery technology,
>which I know nothing about.  The power problem becomes like the ammo problem;
>how much does it (in batteries) weigh and how do we resupply - not cost.

Battery technology is best described as neolithic.  And that's being
generous.  Batteries are huge and immensely heavy for their energy content.
There are various experimental designs that improve on this somewhat, but
the word is "somewhat", not "greatly".

(Case in point:  a diesel-electric sub devotes a considerable fraction
of its weight and volume to batteries, and in return gets an underwater
endurance of a day or two at a speed of maybe two knots.  I trust it's
clear to everyone why nuclear subs were such a radical advance...)