[sci.military] Cold Fusion

maniac%garnet.Berkeley.EDU@ (George W. Herbert) (03/31/89)

From: maniac%garnet.Berkeley.EDU@ (George W. Herbert)

Few minor problems with this new fusion, and what appear to be clarifications
(plus how I feel they can work on the battlefield)

First: power density is horrible.  For anything of size, use a Fission plant.
It's more weight and size effecient.  (Note: i'm going by the initial figures.
one thing that might change this is whether the electricity in the electrode
makes the fusion go:  if so, then the power density can probably go way up and
also we can leave the thing fueled constantly and turn it on at will, both
if voltage/current increase.  My physics profs and TA's won't talk about it,
so I don't know.)

Second: They still don't provide limitless power.  Smaller, maybe.
Those of you saying all the small 'what if' stuff are reccomended to look to
small gas-turbine/generator based sources of electricity. It works, lots'o
current out of even a small backpack unit.

Third: Just as a warning:  remember high temperature superconductors?...

This should not be taken to mean that these have no potential.  But  i would
like to point out that most successes in life are evolutionary, not revolutionary.

And as for putting them in destroyers:  Oh Great.  Let's run the cost up to
make them as expensive as Nuclear Carriers.  Wonderful economic sense.

george william herbert
maniac@garnet.berkeley.edu

mchamp@wpi.wpi.edu (Marc J. Champagne) (04/03/89)

From: mchamp@wpi.wpi.edu (Marc J. Champagne)

To: maniac%garnet.Berkeley.EDU@

1) yes, fission plants will probably be more weight and size efficient
      ; that's why I recommended them for cruisers and carriers ; you
      only want the fusion plant because it eliminates the need to
      depend upon potentially difficult to supply enriched uranium and
      oil ; if you only have a few large surface ships using fission
      power, you have no uranium supply problem.....so stick with
      fission for CVNs and CGNs.  Fusion is the obvious choice for the
     more numerous classes of surface ships (DDs/FFs), though.

2) "running destroyer prices up to the CVN range".....a gross
      exageration ; you can go with a modification on current tubine
      designs for gas turbine engines, only you're using fussion
      released energy as your heat source instead of gas combustion ;
      and the devices which have seen experimentation so far involve
      platinum group metals (fairly expensive, but a 1 time purchase
      per power plant....they're not consumed) and deuterium (which is
      being cheaply extracted from sea-water and refined to greater
      than 98% by the Canadians).  Of course, having backup diesel
      generators would up the price a bit.  But that seems to be an
      inevitability if you're faced with a 10 hour charge time to
       saturate your palladium with deuterium.

    The whole point is that you have a slightly higher initial outlay,
      but then don't have the logistics difficulties of supplying
      large amounts of fossil fuels.  We probably would have seen
      destroyer's with fission power plants years ago in spite of the
      higher initial cost if supplying that much more enriched uranium
      for naval power plants hadn't seemed to be such a problem.
      Basically, it's a case of the Navy having to look at it's
      uranium needs and assigning some sort of priority.  SSNs, CVNs,
      and CGNs were judged to have greater importance (in that order).

As for use aboard subs, I do not think that that would be a safe
   course of action.  Again, if a fusion plant using the principles in
   the Utah project is powered down, the deuterium ions fly out of the
   lattice structure in the palladium.  Then you're without your main
   propulsion system for 10 hours or so while you try to resaturate it.

Can anyone see any practical applications aside from destroyer and
   frigate power plants?

[mod.note:  Is it not possible to operate the fusion plant at "maintanence
level", keeping the bulk of the deuterium in the palladium without
reaching "critical mass" (or whatever the appropriate term in
this technology) ?   Or perhaps one could remove part of the palladium
from the "core" ?  If the plant can only be operated in an "on/off" mode,
with 10 hours to turn it on, its uses will be greatly diminished. - Bill ]

maniac%garnet.Berkeley.EDU@ (George W. Herbert) (04/05/89)

From: maniac%garnet.Berkeley.EDU@ (George W. Herbert)

-LONG-
In article <5326@cbnews.ATT.COM> mchamp@wpi.wpi.edu (Marc J. Champagne) writes:
>To: maniac%garnet.Berkeley.EDU@
>      fission for CVNs and CGNs.  Fusion is the obvious choice for the
>     more numerous classes of surface ships (DDs/FFs), though.
>2) "running destroyer prices up to the CVN range".....a gross
>      exageration ; you can go with a modification on current tubine
>      designs for gas turbine engines, only you're using fussion

Wrong!  Use current steam turbines, please.  (engineering-type detail:
they allready exist and were around for Years before gas turbines. :)

>    The whole point is that you have a slightly higher initial outlay,
>      but then don't have the logistics difficulties of supplying
>      large amounts of fossil fuels.  We probably would have seen

Aack!  Aack!  'slightly higher initial outlay'...? Choke!
Palladium is 3 times the cost of Gold!  And we'd need TONS for a reactor!
One time, maybe, but what i've seen says that the Palladium for a useful
plant would be in the close to low Billions: DD's currently run roughly
$250 million, plus $20 million a year to operate and maintain.
	I may be crazy, but I'm going to be an engineer: and in the real
world things that cost too much don't get built.

>As for use aboard subs, I do not think that that would be a safe
>   course of action.  Again, if a fusion plant using the principles in
>   the Utah project is powered down, the deuterium ions fly out of the
>   lattice structure in the palladium.  Then you're without your main
>   propulsion system for 10 hours or so while you try to resaturate it.

It's a little early to be assuming that we have to pull the entire thing
down to stop it.  According to sources who have been valiantly trying to
replacate said experiments here at UCB, it apparently requires a pretty
hefty electrical field to fuse, so it can probably be turned off by simply
shutting down the electricity, leaving the palladium fueled. Note that putting
the Palladium into heavy water may well not be necessary: a far more
practical idea is a steel pipe, with a palladium core and a hold down the centerfor the deuterium.  Immerse in water and run electricity through palladium.
This way the deuterium stays where you want it.  [note: based on speculation
not hard data on how this operates.]
>Can anyone see any practical applications aside from destroyer and
>   frigate power plants?
Yes.  Satelites, are one.

I would like to make a quick comment here.  What I did, attacking the possible
uses of this new technology, was not intended to be defeatist or anti-progress.
What I wanted to do was stop everyone from wasting their and everybody elses
time with 'look: it's new...we can do _everything_ with it' postings, such
as several that went up.  This may well turn out to be a very important advance
for technology as well as a physics breakthrough, but right now it has well-
defined and overwhelming practical problems barring potential application.
While those who free-associate to come up with neat ideas are fine and good
(i was one for a Long time before i started getting technical training in
college) they quite often ask the impossible of physics and engineering.
I would suggest that next time everyone step back and look carefully at
something like this before starting to discuss it.
	This is, after all, sci.mil not sci.gee-whiz!

george william herbert
maniac@garnet.berkeley.edu

w-colinp@microsoft.UUCP (Colin Plumb) (04/05/89)

From: w-colinp@microsoft.UUCP (Colin Plumb)

> [mod.note:  Is it not possible to operate the fusion plant at "maintanence
> level", keeping the bulk of the deuterium in the palladium without
> reaching "critical mass" (or whatever the appropriate term in
> this technology) ?   Or perhaps one could remove part of the palladium
> from the "core" ?  If the plant can only be operated in an "on/off" mode,
> with 10 hours to turn it on, its uses will be greatly diminished. - Bill ]

First of all, this technoloogy is so new (although Hungarian TV announced
a duplication of results a few days ago, there's still plenty of room
for doubt that this is a real effect at all) that guesses about the
capabilities of a useful power plant are unlikely to be very accurate.

Having said that, by all appearances there appears to be no concept of
chain reaction or critical mass in cold fusion - you can make arbitrarily
small reactors.  Also, the current flow is needed, so regulating that offers
potential for a rapid on/off switch.

The 10 hour charge time is to allow the deuturium to saturate the palladium.
It takes a comparable amount of time to remove the deuturium, so right there
you know you haven't got a usable regulation system.  But since it appears
that mere saturation is not enough to start fusion (as opposed to a fission
reactor, where just putting enough uranium in one place will generate heat),
there are plenty of opportunities to stop the process.

I think we'll have answers soon enough (every university in the world is
going to play with it), so waiting a while (intolerable as it is) seems
apropriate.
--
	-Colin (uunet!microsoft!w-colinp)

"Don't listen to me.  I never do." - The Doctor

rlevasse@hawk.ulowell.edu (Roger Levasseur) (04/06/89)

From: rlevasse@hawk.ulowell.edu (Roger Levasseur)

>1) yes, fission plants will probably be more weight and size efficient
>      ; that's why I recommended them for cruisers and carriers ; you
>      only want the fusion plant because it eliminates the need to
>      depend upon potentially difficult to supply enriched uranium and
>      oil ; if you only have a few large surface ships using fission
>      power, you have no uranium supply problem.....so stick with
>      fission for CVNs and CGNs.  Fusion is the obvious choice for the
>     more numerous classes of surface ships (DDs/FFs), though.

The Navy would love to power its DDs/FFs with nuclear power TODAY, but
they are having problems manning nuclear powered ships as it is with
the expertise that is necessary. They don't want to add to the problem.
A nuclear powered escort complements the CVNs and CGNs and frees them
from the logistics of tankering large amounts of fuel oil (or diesel)
for these ships.

>    The whole point is that you have a slightly higher initial outlay,
>      but then don't have the logistics difficulties of supplying
>      large amounts of fossil fuels.  We probably would have seen
>      destroyer's with fission power plants years ago in spite of the

We have. The USS Bainbridge (CGN 25) was originally classified as a
guided missle frigate (DLGN 25).  It was commissioned October 6, 1962.
It was the Navy's third nuclear powered surface ship.  The California
class of cruisers were also originally classified as DLGN.

>      higher initial cost if supplying that much more enriched uranium
>      for naval power plants hadn't seemed to be such a problem.
>      Basically, it's a case of the Navy having to look at it's
>      uranium needs and assigning some sort of priority.  SSNs, CVNs,
>      and CGNs were judged to have greater importance (in that order).

Here is an additional tidbit:  In 1971, the USS Enterprise was refueled.
It was not refueled until the early 80's. I don't know which year.
For all the miles it steamed, it cost about $133 per mile.  A conventional
carrier burns $250 of oil per mile (a 1980 figure), not including the
tankering costs to deliver it.

I also don't think there is a uranium supply problem; the uranium
mining industry is suffering from a lack of demand.  They were
ready to supply the needs of the electric utilities nuclear plants.
But this aspect of the issue isn't sci.military material.
The modern reactors in use also only need to be refueled every
10 to 13 years.  (Some of the older SSNs/SSBNs have been retired
from service early than refuel them for 2 or 3 more years service;
others have stayed in service longer than planned since they had
a few more years life in the fuel core.)

  -roger

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Roger Levasseur
University of Lowell
rlevasse@hawk.ulowell.edu

fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (04/06/89)

From: fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

In article <5391@cbnews.ATT.COM>, maniac%garnet.Berkeley.EDU@ (George W. Herbert) writes:

> Aack!  Aack!  'slightly higher initial outlay'...? Choke!
> Palladium is 3 times the cost of Gold!  And we'd need TONS for a reactor!

How quickly things change!

Just this morning Palladium was going for around $160.00/oz and gold
for something like $390.00/oz.  (WSJ listing of metals commodities
trading.)  Even Platinum was only at about $545.

Darn.  Here I thought I finally had a chance to get Gold at $50/oz.

	:}

mchamp%harvard@husc6.harvard.edu (Marc J. Champagne) (04/07/89)

From: ulowell!wpi.wpi.edu!mchamp%harvard@husc6.harvard.edu (Marc J. Champagne)

To: maniac@garnet.Berkeley.EDU@

>Wrong!  Use current steam turbines, please (rather than gas
>turbines to harness fusion heat for propulsion).  (engineering-type detail:
>they allready exist and were around for Years before gas turbines. :)

Point well taken.  Your choice is better.

>>    The whole point is that you have a slightly higher initial outlay,
>>      but then don't have the logistics difficulties of supplying
>>      large amounts of fossil fuels.  We probably would have seen
>
>Aack!  Aack!  'slightly higher initial outlay'...? Choke!
>Palladium is 3 times the cost of Gold!  And we'd need TONS for a reactor!
>One time, maybe, but what i've seen says that the Palladium for a useful
>plant would be in the close to low Billions: DD's currently run roughly
>$250 million, plus $20 million a year to operate and maintain.
>	I may be crazy, but I'm going to be an engineer: and in the real
>world things that cost too much don't get built.

Then I suggest you check your facts.  You are off by 1 order of
magnitude in the price of palladium, it is **1/3** the price of gold,
not 3 times the price of gold.  Also, 800 watts of heat is the peak
ouput figure so far in the cold fusion process.....from a 1cu/cm block
of palladium.  You are VASTLY overstating the costs.  I agree that the
prices you give are unconscionable.  But they are also completely
incorrect.

>>As for use aboard subs, I do not think that that would be a safe
>>   course of action.  Again, if a fusion plant using the principles in
>>   the Utah project is powered down, the deuterium ions fly out of the
>>   lattice structure in the palladium.  Then you're without your main
>>   propulsion system for 10 hours or so while you try to resaturate it.
>>
>It's a little early to be assuming that we have to pull the entire thing
>down to stop it.  According to sources who have been valiantly trying to
>replacate said experiments here at UCB, it apparently requires a pretty
>hefty electrical field to fuse, so it can probably be turned off by simply
>shutting down the electricity, leaving the palladium fueled. Note that putting
>the Palladium into heavy water may well not be necessary: a far more
>practical idea is a steel pipe, with a palladium core and a hold down the centerfor the deuterium.  Immerse in water and run electricity through palladium.
1) You MUST have the palladium and platinum in heavy water.  No
   question about it.  That's where your easy to handle source of
   deuterium  (hydrogen isotope) is.
2) You'd power down the reactor for the same reason you power down a
   fission plant.......so you don't have lots of pump noise when
   you're in close to shore on a covert mission (I'm assuming that
   we've learned our lesson about natural-circulation cooling systems
   and WILL stick with pumps).  Problem is when you power down this
   plant, your deuterium ions will fly out of the matrix because
   there's no electric current forcing new ions in at the higher than
   normal density.  Fusion stops and you have to resaturate the
   matrix...several hours of work at the minimum.  If you DON't power
   down, fusion keeps occuring, your pumps will have to keep running,
   and you'll still be making lots of noise.
   In other words, this type of power plant will take longer to start
   than a fision plant (which takes a long time in itself....I work at
   our school's reactor...only 10kwatt...and it takes us quite a few
   minutes to go critical...if your fission reactor was running at
   high enough power before you scrammed it, you WON'T be restarting
   for several hours/days).

   Come to think of it, the fusion charging delay isn't that bad
   compared to fission plants at all, it you're fission power down was
   sudden.   I assume the reactor on an SSN would be run at very low
   power prior to going in and shutting down for a covert op.  If it
   wasn't being run at low power, powering down is out of the question
   since you won't be restarting anytime soon for ANY reason....it's
   simply not possible.

   I guess I've just reasoned myself into seeing some limited fusion
   applications for submarines.  But the idea still makes me nervous too.

[Note: so far it looks like this is a really tough reaction to
regulate.  Too little current through the heavy water and the
deuterium leaves the palladium lattice and you have to recharge.  Too
high a current density and nothing happens.  Lower the current density
a little and you get fusion.  Lower it a little more and your fusion
setup melts-down......very disturbing]