[sci.military] SLBM Launch

eugene@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Eugene Miya) (04/08/89)

From: eos!eugene@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Eugene Miya)

In article <5479@cbnews.ATT.COM> isis!cs.odu.edu!paterra@gatech.edu (Frank C. Paterra) writes:
>Some more questions -
>	How does a missle get launched from the sub?  I assume that it
>	is first ejected by compressed cold gas, but I don't really
>	know.
>
>	How long does the sub have to get out of the area before the
>        missle ignites?
Seconds, doesn't matter.
>	What would happend if the missle exploded in close proximity
>	to the sub?  What sort of damage could the crew expect?
Classified.  Depends on explosion type (won't be nuclear) and other factors.
>	Can the missles be launched when the sub is on the surface or
>	only when it is submerged?
Either.

Rather explain these, and how, go to the library and look up the book on
the development of the Polar missile system.  Talks about "Red" Raborn,
et al.  This has all been thought about, but little more published.

[mod.note:  I think Eugene means "Polaris" missile... correct me if I'm
wrong. - Bill ]

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "Mailers?! HA!", "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  				Live free or die.