[sci.military] Trident-II Missile Launch

pcl@ihlpf.ATT.COM (pcl) (04/06/89)

From: pcl@ihlpf.ATT.COM (pcl)

Couple weeks ago, when I saw multi-mega bucks firework as a result
of a failed Trident-II missile launch, I could not believe that the
sub sustained no damage (as indicated by the military spokesperson?).

Questions and curiosities:
	How deep was the sub when launching the test missile?
	What is the maximum underwater speed of the sub when launching
		 missiles?  Or does the sub have to be stationary?
	Were the debris from the exploded missile onto the sub?
	How about the shockwaves?  Did it shake the sub a bit?
	In general, how vulnerable is the sub against failed missile launch?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

attbl!ihlpf!pcl

paterra@gatech.edu (Frank C. Paterra) (04/07/89)

From: isis!cs.odu.edu!paterra@gatech.edu (Frank C. Paterra)

Some more questions -

	How does a missle get launched from the sub?  I assume that it
	is first ejected by compressed cold gas, but I don't really
	know.

	How long does the sub have to get out of the area before the
        missle ignites?

	What would happend if the missle exploded in close proximity
	to the sub?  What sort of damage could the crew expect?

	Can the missles be launched when the sub is on the surface or
	only when it is submerged?

Thanks for the info!!
Frank Paterra
paterra@cs.odu.edu

eugene@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Eugene Miya) (04/07/89)

From: eos!eugene@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Eugene Miya)

There was footage of the sub leaving port on this test.  An extra
antenna (standard) had been outfitted on the conning tower sail, it is
visible in some early launch footage.  This means the sub was basically at
periscope depth.
In article <5433@cbnews.ATT.COM> pcl@ihlpf.ATT.COM (pcl) writes:
>Questions and curiosities:
>	How deep was the sub when launching the test missile?
Oh about 60 feet.  As subs are measured (keel).
>	What is the maximum underwater speed of the sub when launching
>		 missiles?  Or does the sub have to be stationary?
I believe this is classified.  But not stationary.
>	Were the debris from the exploded missile onto the sub?
Possibly, but there is no footage of the sub returning.  Possibly
classified pending inspection of the hull.
>	How about the shockwaves?  Did it shake the sub a bit?
Ditto.
>	In general, how vulnerable is the sub against failed missile launch?
Ditto.  But this is probably known.

davidc@umd5.umd.edu (David Conrad) (04/08/89)

From: davidc@umd5.umd.edu (David Conrad)

My father works with the Navy's Trident program and he had the
following answers to your questions:

>From article <5479@cbnews.ATT.COM>, by isis!cs.odu.edu!paterra@gatech.edu (Frank C. Paterra):
> 	How does a missle get launched from the sub?  I assume that it
> 	is first ejected by compressed cold gas, but I don't really
> 	know.

The missle is propelled from the sub by steam generated by a small
rocket motor firing into a cooling chamber which contains water.

> 	How long does the sub have to get out of the area before the
>         missle ignites?

Since the missle engines ignite as soon as it leaves the water,
the sub has no time to move.

> 	What would happend if the missle exploded in close proximity
> 	to the sub?  What sort of damage could the crew expect?

If the missle exploded underwater, the effect would be the same as a
(large) depth charge, e.g. bad.  Above the water, there would be little
effect.

> 	Can the missles be launched when the sub is on the surface or
> 	only when it is submerged?

Classified, though the Polaris/Posideons could be (and were) launched from
the surface.  I would imagine launching from the surface would be frowned
upon, even if it could be done, as the surface isn't the best place for
subs to be.

-drc