[sci.military] fake stuff costing more the real thing

rshu@ads.com (Richard Shu) (04/07/89)

From: Richard Shu <rshu@ads.com>
I also heard once that training rounds for tanks cost more than the
real thing.  Anybody know if this is true?

Rich

johnson@BRL.MIL (04/08/89)

In article <5467@cbnews.ATT.COM> rshu@ads.com (Richard Shu) writes:

>From: Richard Shu <rshu@ads.com>
>I also heard once that training rounds for tanks cost more than the
>real thing.  Anybody know if this is true?
>
>Rich

I can't say for sure that at one time this wasn't the case (knowing the
Service's procurement system it's likely true 8-}), but for the current class
of 105mm and 120mm, the training rounds are cheaper than the real thing.
Unless of course you want to make an apple to oranges comparison of the
120mm M865 TPCSDS to a 105mm HEAT-TPT (or a HEP round), then the training
round may be more expensive. Even this comparison may no longer hold; now
that the 120mm ammo is in full production costs have come down
considerably.
                                   Don Johnson

The above is NOT an official government position, only my humble opinion.
Reply to: johnson@amsaa-seer.brl.mil