[sci.military] LRRPs

drogers@riacs.edu (David Rogers) (03/25/89)

From: drogers@riacs.edu (David Rogers)

    Article-ID: <5072@cbnews.ATT.COM>
    From: ssc-vax!shuksan!major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt)

    BTW:  The U.S. does NOT have a LRRP capability.  We have Special Forces
    'A-Teams' who train indiginuous guerrilla forces - we have Ranger
    Battalions who conduct 'direct action' combat patrols - but, we (U.S.) do
    not have units specifically organized, trained, equiped to conduct long
    range reconnsaisance - behind enemy lines.

I spent a weekend with a Michigan National Guard unit whose mission was
long-range recon.  They were organized as a company of Airborne Rangers, but
the training was primary LRRP:  get dumped hundreds of miles behind
enemy lines, collect info, radio it back, and avoid contact at all costs.
They were definately not 'direct action' combat patrols.  As I recall,
there was another company of LRRPs in the Texas National Guard.

I believe there was one active-duty company of LRRPs in the Army, but
I may be mistaken.  However, it is incorrect to state that the US Army
does not train troops specifically for LRRP.

major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt) (03/30/89)

From: ssc-vax!shuksan!major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt)

  >...it is incorrect to state that the US Army does not train troops
  >specifically for LRRP......

  Well, to clarify:  By current Table of Organizations, the
  US Army does not have a TO&E LRRP unit.  By doctrine they should exist
  at Corps-level.  But, today - non exist.

  But you are correct in stating that units organize their own LRRP
  capabilities and train for LRRP operations.  It's done by necessity.
  We did it in the 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division - and also in the
  3rd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division.  Some battalions create a LRRP
  capability out of their Scout Platoons.  At one point in the development
  of 'doctrine' and 'organization', divisions had LRRP platoons organic to
  Combat Intelligence Companies (I commanded one such company in the
  1st Div).

  There's always been a doctrinal conflict between the Infantry School and
  the Intelligence School about where LRRPs should be.  Since their mission
  is (should) be pure intelligence collection, Intel has always wanted them
  to be with Intelligence Units.  However, since LRRPs are basically
  infantrymen - Infantry shudders at the possibility of infantry under
  control of someone else.  Then, you give a commander a unit of infantry
  with some combat power - and he employs them as a combat unit - not as
  LRRPs.  That's been my experience.

  NATO LRRPs, on the other hand, will work for nobody but the Corps G-2.

  major

                             "Scouts out!"

military@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (03/31/89)

From: rutgers!xenna.encore.com!maxzilla!waltm (Walt Matthieson)

In article <5128@cbnews.ATT.COM> drogers@riacs.edu (David Rogers) writes:
>    BTW:  The U.S. does NOT have a LRRP capability.  We have Special Forces
>    'A-Teams' who train indiginuous guerrilla forces - we have Ranger
>    Battalions who conduct 'direct action' combat patrols - but, we (U.S.) do
>    not have units specifically organized, trained, equiped to conduct long
>    range reconnsaisance - behind enemy lines.
>
>I believe there was one active-duty company of LRRPs in the Army, but
>I may be mistaken.  However, it is incorrect to state that the US Army
>does not train troops specifically for LRRP.

As far as I know there never was a company of LRRPs in the Army however there
were several schools that had that training. I attended the 6 week LRRP course
at Camp Macall on the Ft. Bragg reservation in the early 70s, this course was
much harder for me than Ranger school although Ranger School was longer.
The whole idea was to have teams assigned to various unit commands so that the
commander could use the team as he saw fit. In Nam there were many LRRP teams
operating under the various commands but I don't think there was a company sized
team. Maybe you are thinking of Co. C 1st of the 75th Rangers which operated

Walt Mattison Airborne Ranger SF Halo ( and retired  8 ) )

,

john@jclyde.cactus.org (John B. Meaders Jr.) (04/07/89)

From: john@jclyde.cactus.org (John B. Meaders Jr.)

In article <5237@cbnews.ATT.COM> ssc-vax!shuksan!major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt) writes:

>  Well, to clarify:  By current Table of Organizations, the
>  US Army does not have a TO&E LRRP unit.  By doctrine they should exist
>  at Corps-level.  But, today - non exist.

This is from FM 101-10-1/1 (Staff Officers' Field Manual Organizational,
Technical, and Logistical Data [Volume 1]):

>From Chapter 1, Section I (Heavy Division, Mechanized or Armored)
	TOE:	07209J4
	UNIT:	Airborne Infantry, Long-Range Surveillance Detachment,
		Armored Division or Mechanized Infantry Division
	PAGE:	1-42

>From Chapter 2, Section I (Light Infantry Division)
	TOE:	07109L0
	UNIT:	Airborne Infantry, Long-Range Surveillance Detachment
	PAGE:	2-44

>From Chapter 3, Section I (Air Assault Division)
	TOE:	07209L0
	UNIT:	Airborne Infantry, Long-Range Surveillance Detachment
	PAGE:	3-68

>From Chapter 4, Section I (Airborne Division)
	TOE:	07109L0
	UNIT:	Airborne Infantry, Long-Range Surveillance Detachment,
		Infantry Division (Light)
	PAGE:	4-54

>From Chapter 6, Section I (Motorized Division)
	TOE:	7-157
	UNIT:	Long-Range Surveillance Company
	PAGE:	6-82

Corps would normally have a Long-Range Surveillance Company (depending on
the mission).
Theater would have a Long-Range Surveillance Battalion (depending on the
mission).

This FM has no distribution restrictions and is approved for public
release.  If you desire specific information on any of the TOEs I have
listed send me e-mail.

Disclaimer:  I speak for myself.  I do not speak for the Department of the
             Army nor the Department of Defense.
--
2LT John B. Meaders, Jr.
E CO, 266 QM BN, 23 QM BDE, QM OBC 89-6, Ft. Lee, VA  23801-5323

gross@DG-RTP.DG.COM (Gene Gross) (04/11/89)

From: Gene Gross <gross@DG-RTP.DG.COM>
In article <5274@cbnews.ATT.COM> you write:

>From: rutgers!xenna.encore.com!maxzilla!waltm (Walt Matthieson)
>
>In article <5128@cbnews.ATT.COM> drogers@riacs.edu (David Rogers) writes:
>>    BTW:  The U.S. does NOT have a LRRP capability.  We have Special Forces
>>    'A-Teams' who train indiginuous guerrilla forces - we have Ranger
>>    Battalions who conduct 'direct action' combat patrols - but,

      And so forth.... 8-)

>As far as I know there never was a company of LRRPs in the Army however there
>were several schools that had that training. I attended the 6 week LRRP course
>at Camp Macall on the Ft. Bragg reservation in the early 70s, this course was
>much harder for me than Ranger school although Ranger School was longer.
>The whole idea was to have teams assigned to various unit commands so that the
>commander could use the team as he saw fit. In Nam there were many LRRP teams
>operating under the various commands but I don't think there was a company sized
>team. Maybe you are thinking of Co. C 1st of the 75th Rangers which operated
>
>Walt Mattison Airborne Ranger SF Halo ( and retired  8 ) )
>
>,

The SF LRRP course at Macall was in existence back when I was in (60s).
I attended after completing the "Q-course" and I agree, Walt, it was
much harder than Ranger course-- but only because it was more
concentrated in time.  However, I found that my experiences in Ranger
School (a.k.a. Benning School For Boys) helped.

As for standing LRRP units, they do not exist in any Army TO&E that I'm
aware of to date.  SF and Ranger units are about as close as we come.
MI has always wanted dominion over such units and that may be why the
brass have not added any LRRP units to TO&Es.

Mean_Gene