[sci.military] What is the Phantom Corps?

rshu@ads.com (Richard Shu) (04/05/89)

From: Richard Shu <rshu@ads.com>

Lest this appear to be military Trivial Pursuit, let me explain that
I'm reading a document entitled "III Corps Maneuver Booklet" by Don
Holder.  The Foreword (written by LTG Crosbie Saint, Commanding) says ...

> The Phantom Corps' experience in World War II holds a number of lessons
> for those who now serve in the Army's only offensively-oriented heavy
> corps. (!)  It was the III Corps that led the way in Patton's famous
> 90 degree turn into the southern flank of the bulge in December 1944.

> ... Wherever it fights next, III Corps will again serve as a theater
> attack force.

The implication is that III Corps is also called Phantom Corps for
some reason that I haven't found yet.  Anybody know why?  I was
surprised by the statement that the Army has only one
offensively-oriented heavy corps.  Does this mean that III Corps'
training emphasizes the offense while the other corps' training
emphasize defense?  Where is III Corps based?

Rich

major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt) (04/11/89)

From: ssc-vax!shuksan!major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt)

In article <5402@cbnews.ATT.COM>, rshu@ads.com (Richard Shu) writes:

> From: Richard Shu <rshu@ads.com>
>
> Lest this appear to be military Trivial Pursuit, let me explain that
> I'm reading a document entitled "III Corps Maneuver Booklet" by Don
> Holder.  The Foreword (written by LTG Crosbie Saint, Commanding) says ...
>

> > The Phantom Corps' experience in World War II holds a number of lessons
> > for those who now serve in the Army's only offensively-oriented heavy
> > corps. (!)  It was the III Corps that led the way in Patton's famous
> > 90 degree turn into the southern flank of the bulge in December 1944.
>
> > ... Wherever it fights next, III Corps will again serve as a theater
> > attack force.
>
> The implication is that III Corps is also called Phantom Corps for
> some reason that I haven't found yet.  Anybody know why?  I was
> surprised by the statement that the Army has only one
> offensively-oriented heavy corps.  Does this mean that III Corps'
> training emphasizes the offense while the other corps' training
> emphasize defense?  Where is III Corps based?
>
> Rich

[mod.note:  In WWII, the German 11th Panzer division was knicknamed
the "Ghost Division."  Some sources claim this was derived from the
division's unofficial insignia, a stencilled ghost; others say that the
division got it's knickname because of its early performance, where it
earned a reputation for showing up where the enemy least expected. I
find the latter more believable; perhapt the Phantom Corps is so
called for a similar reason ? - Bill ]

  III Corps is headquartered at Fort Hood, Texas.  Subordinate combat power
  of III Corps changes with it's various missions but normally consists of
  1st Cav Div (Hood), 2d Arm Div (Hood), 6th Cav Bde (Air Cbt)(Hood), 3 Arm Cav
  Rgt (Sill), 4th Mech Inf Div (Carson), and 5 Mech Inf Div (Polk).
  Quite 'heavy' as Corps go.  In comparison, the XVIII Abn Corps consists of
  the 82 Abn Div and the 101 Abn Div (Air Aslt).  I Corps (Ft Lewis) has the
  'light inf' divisions (9th, 7th, 25th).  So, in CONUS, the III Corps IS the
  only 'heavy corps'.  Most of the officers assigned to these units would
  submit that they are ALL offensively-oriented in the tactics and training.
  (even during 'defensive' operations you want to maintain the initiative
  and freedom of movement - ergo 'defense' becomes 'offensive' - with very
  active counter-attacks).

  Now, I think the truely 'heavy corps' belong to the V Corps and VII Corps
  in Germany.  Each 'owns' an armored division, a mech inf division, a
  separate armored or mech inf brigade, and an arm cav regiment.  All their
  artillery is self-propelled.

  As far as III Corps being a 'theater attack force', what may be implied here
  is that in a European scenario, the V and VII Corps initially defend,
  trading space for time - time for the III Corps to deploy to Europe -
  upon arrival - III Corps 'passes thru' V and VII Corps in the attack to
  restore the interzonal border.  Sounds simple doesn't it?  Yeah, right!

  major

carlson@gateway.mitre.org (Bruce Carlson) (04/14/89)

From: carlson@gateway.mitre.org (Bruce Carlson)
In article <5544@cbnews.ATT.COM> ssc-vax!shuksan!major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt) writes:

>From: ssc-vax!shuksan!major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt)
>
>> From: Richard Shu <rshu@ads.com>
>> The implication is that III Corps is also called Phantom Corps for
>> some reason that I haven't found yet.  Anybody know why?  I was
>>
>> Rich

I don't know why they are called the phantom corps, but
the symbol used looks similar to the grim reaper, in knights
armor, riding a horse. I recall reading an article in Army times
that indicated the Army (at some level) wasn't sure they liked
this symbol because it was a little too evil looking, but the
III Corps commander thought it was great.  I don't know if they
still use the symbol.

Bruce Carlson