[sci.military] carrier names and sizes

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
In article <5633@cbnews.ATT.COM> you write:
>... As mentioned earlier their CVs aren't really carriers and
>even the Soviet navy calls them ASW cruisers...

As I recall, this designation is political rather than technical:  they
can't take capital ships (e.g. aircraft carriers) through the Dardanelles
without negotiating first, but "ASW cruisers" are no problem.

This happens in the West too; the British carriers were "through-deck
cruisers" for a while because the RN was officially out of the carrier
business.

And for that matter, the USMC's small carriers are not officially carriers,
because the only Real Carriers in US service are the USN's big ones.
(The fact that the USN operated carriers that size not too long ago,
and called them carriers, is of course irrelevant. :-))

>Nobody really knows for sure about the new Sov CVs but it is reported that
>they'll carry approx 60 planes a lot less than US CVs but then their
>composition will make a lot of differnce.

As I think I've mentioned before, beware that there are different ways
of counting carrier capacity and the raw numbers aren't necessarily
comparable.  (For example, USN numbers are inflated compared to most
of the rest of the world because the USN is willing to park aircraft
on deck permanently, whereas the RN and others insist that the ship's
official capacity is what will fit in the hangar space.)

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu