[sci.military] air defense wires

mcgrath@nprdc.navy.mil (James McGrath) (04/07/89)

From: mcgrath@nprdc.navy.mil (James McGrath)
Helicopters flying nap-of-the-earth (NOE) have been downed by striking
power lines and other high wires.  It seems logical that one might
deliberately string wires across passes, saddles, or even between tall
trees as a means of defense or interdiction against NOE air operations.
Does anybody know whether such measures would be effective and whether
they have ever been used?

gahooten@ames.arc.nasa.gov (04/08/89)

From: gahooten@ames.arc.nasa.gov

In article <5480@cbnews.ATT.COM> mcgrath@nprdc.navy.mil (James McGrath) writes:

>From: mcgrath@nprdc.navy.mil (James McGrath)
>Helicopters flying nap-of-the-earth (NOE) have been downed by striking
>power lines and other high wires.  It seems logical that one might
>deliberately string wires across passes, saddles, or even between tall
>trees as a means of defense or interdiction against NOE air operations.
>Does anybody know whether such measures would be effective and whether
>they have ever been used?

I don't know of any incident that has wires to catch NOE
helicopters, but Barrage balloons were (of course) used
effectively during WWI and II to make planes bomb from higher
altitudes.  They were more effective in WWI.

The use on Helicopters is interesting, it would probably be
easier to use a type of Barrage Balloon rather than stringing
across the gorge or valley.  This eliminates the need to
anchor it in two places and support the full weight of the
cable hanging across the distance.  Prevents sagging, and is
more mobile.

Milimeter wave radar is being improved to dectect things like
power lines.  This might limit the effectiveness of this
tactic.  It shows up as a wavy line on a HUD in experimental
AC I've seen.

Greg

[mod.note:  This reminds me of various WWII-era rockets, designed to deploy
a series of wires, or ribbons, suspended by a parachute, for AA use.  The
British actually deployed these in the form of their UP (unrotated
projectile) lauchers;  a fire in a UP ammo locker preceded the explosion
of HMS Hood (though it is not believed to have been the cause of same)

Also, a similar (but more summary) reply was received from
MJackson.Wbst@Xerox.COM, who wrote:

>Barrage balloons.
>
>Mark

- Bill ]

bsmart@uunet.UU.NET (Bob Smart) (04/08/89)

From: vrdxhq!vrdxhq.verdix.com!bsmart@uunet.UU.NET (Bob Smart)

In article <5480@cbnews.ATT.COM>, mcgrath@nprdc.navy.mil (James McGrath) writes:

> From: mcgrath@nprdc.navy.mil (James McGrath)
> Helicopters flying nap-of-the-earth (NOE) have been downed by striking
> power lines and other high wires.  It seems logical that one might
> deliberately string wires across passes, saddles, or even between tall
> trees as a means of defense or interdiction against NOE air operations.
> Does anybody know whether such measures would be effective and whether
> they have ever been used?

This was used in Vietnam and is believed to have caused the downing of
at least one F-111. The wires were strung across a valley that was a
often used route. I believe they had other wires hanging from the main
cross wires. Another simple counter measure that was used was to fire
chaff up in front of the aircraft. The terrain following radar would see
an obstruction and point the aircraft up giving a good IR target right
up the tailpipe.

The Army was conducting tests at NASA Langley to develop cable resistant
helicopters back in 1983-85. They hung the Helo from the old
Lunar Lander frame and swung it down into the wires. ( same method
that was used to test some small planes for crashability.) I left
the Air Force and the area in 85 and didn't here any more about the
program.

Bob Smart (bsmart@verdix.com)

sampson@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Steve Sampson) (04/11/89)

From: sampson@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Steve Sampson)

In article <5516@cbnews.ATT.COM>, vrdxhq!vrdxhq.verdix.com!bsmart@uunet.UU.NET (Bob Smart) writes:

> From: vrdxhq!vrdxhq.verdix.com!bsmart@uunet.UU.NET (Bob Smart)
>
> This was used in Vietnam and is believed to have caused the downing of
> at least one F-111.

My brother was a crew chief on F-111s at Mt Home and Tahkli (sp?) and the
biggest problem was pilots flying them into the ground.  He lost three in
his enlistment.  One in Vietnam was found impacted on a mountain ledge, said
it missed the top by about 100 feet.  Two in Mt Home were lost on the range
but the pilots ejected, one capsules bladder never inflated and broke their
backs.  All in all he liked it better than the F-4 for maintenance, said he
felt bad when the aircraft recovered and his didn't come back.

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>Helicopters flying nap-of-the-earth (NOE) have been downed by striking
>power lines and other high wires.  It seems logical that one might
>deliberately string wires across passes, saddles, or even between tall
>trees as a means of defense or interdiction against NOE air operations.
>Does anybody know whether such measures would be effective and whether
>they have ever been used?

Unless you count barrage balloons, I don't think there's a historical
example yet.  However, this is probably a valuable tactic, not so much
because it would bring down lots of helicopters as because it would
make the helicopter pilots more cautious and hence less effective.

There is considerable work being done on equipping helicopters with some
sort of short-range radar or lidar that can "see" wires, and a good many
existing military helicopters are equipped with gadgets designed to cut
any wires they strike, but the problem is by no means solved yet.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) (04/12/89)

From: howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz)

In article <5480@cbnews.ATT.COM>, mcgrath@nprdc.navy.mil (James McGrath) writes:
> It seems logical that one might
> deliberately string wires across passes, saddles, or even between tall
> trees as a means of defense or interdiction against NOE air operations.
> Does anybody know whether such measures would be effective and whether
> they have ever been used?

I vaguely remember an Aviation Leak article dealing with a
possible Soviet defense against cruise missiles targeted
against ICBM silos.

Apparently, the strategic-range cruise missile of the time
did not have the energy to do a terminal pop-up maneuver
and dive, from height, into the target.  There were reports
of fencing or wires being set up at an approximate
cruise missile altitude.

This defense could be circumvented by a missile that rose
several hundred to a thousand feet before entering the
final target area.
--
howard@cos.com OR  {uunet,  decuac, sun!sundc, hadron, hqda-ai}!cos!howard
(703) 883-2812 [W] (703) 998-5017 [H]

cantrell@Alliant.COM (Paul Cantrell) (04/15/89)

From: cantrell@Alliant.COM (Paul Cantrell)

In article <5546@cbnews.ATT.COM> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>There is considerable work being done on equipping helicopters with some
>sort of short-range radar or lidar that can "see" wires, and a good many
>existing military helicopters are equipped with gadgets designed to cut
>any wires they strike, but the problem is by no means solved yet.

There are two current methods to deal with protecting helicopters from
wire strikes. Both were recently described in either Defense Helicopter World,
or possibly Rotor & Wing.

The first method is detection. This article cast some doubt on the viability
of the millimeter wave radar units for detecting wires, but did say that
a particular laser system was looking possible.

The second method is widely used today, in both civilian and military
helicopters. The WSPS (Wire Strike Protection System) consists of an upper
and lower wire cutter, and guides on the windshield and skids to deflect
the wire into the cutters. A typical installation costs in the neighborhood
of $35,000.

The article claimed that the majority of single wire strikes WITHOUT the
WSPS resulting in non-fatal crashes, while multiple wire strikes even WITH
the WSPS typically were fatal. Therefore, the major effect of having the
WSPS installed seemed to be to reduce the amount of damage to the helicopter,
and therefore the cost of the crash, but not the number of fatalities.

As someone who came within about 2 feet of a wire, and having a friend who
crashed a helicopter after a wire strike, I hope an effective technology
is found for this problem. For the helicopter I fly, it is the leading
cause of accident today.

					PC
					Comm/CFI Helicopter

budden@manta.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg) (04/17/89)

From: budden@manta.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg)
In the Coast Guard, we occasionally have gotten the hoist cable wrapped
into the rotor blades, usually on night training exercises with
motor lifeboats.  Scares the ____ out of the flight crew.  And usually
the lifeboat crew too, but that's a delayed reaction 'cause they
don't know how close they came until after they get back to port.
The scenario usually involves a hoist cable getting hung on something
solid -- like a 13 ton motor lifeboat -- at low altitude.  Then
a <sproing!> and enough backsnap to flip cable into the rotor
blades.

Hoists have a guillotine knife for shearing the cable in such situations,
and it's a mite disconcerting taking that whirring back to a landing
somewhere.  Not sure whether we've lost helos doing this, but I know
we've had some damaged blades.

Customs also had one of their aerostats (balloons with a radar
on a string) cut loose a couple years ago.  Nobody sure, but
the FAA records indicate that one of our H-3s was the only
thing in the area and the coincidence points to it flying
thru the fiber optic umbilical.

Yes, barrage balloons may be an old idea, but I'd estimate
that they could still be pretty effective in situations -- power
lines get Army birds all the time.

Rex Buddenberg

-------

dee@linus.UUCP (David E. Emery) (04/18/89)

From: dee@linus.UUCP (David E. Emery)
>From: budden@manta.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg)
>power lines get Army birds all the time.

The Army got smart and put "knife blades" on the Bird to help prevent
this kind of thing.  I understand they're pretty effective.  However,
that just requires a stronger cable...
				dave emery

p.s. here's a picture...