[sci.military] Reply re fission

military@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (04/18/89)

From: Ron Miller <hp-lsd!hplabs!hpfcla!hpfcmr!ron>

> Roy Forsstrom replies:
>
> In article <5538@cbnews.ATT.COM> nelson_p@apollo.com (Peter Nelson) writes:
> >>
> >>The Navy would love to power its DDs/FFs with nuclear power TODAY, but
> >>they are having problems manning nuclear powered ships as it is with
> >>the expertise that is necessary. They don't want to add to the problem.
>    This was one of Rickover's biggest complaints. He believed that
>    high school science and math were inadequate. Most of the nukes I
>    worked with were college dropouts. {Many of us did go back,though!}

Minor point but personally important, Enlisted Nukes usually had some
college background (which far exceeded the "average sailor"). Officer
Nukes, all had to be college grads and generally were math, science or
engineering grads. My roomate for prototype phase was an English major
and had one helluva time with the program.(he made it though) As an EE
I didn't have so much trouble primarily because the EE courses (which
were considered to be DEATH :-)  by non-EE's weren't so horrible to me.)

One of my greatest pleasures in my service in the Navy was writing
college recommendations for enlisted nukes who were getting out and going
back to school.

>     My biggest worry, as reactor operator, was what might happen {politically}
>     if an accident occurred while anchored in a foreign harbor. In the late

My concern as Ship's Duty Officer (and Engineering Duty Officer when
holding both in-port) was not only political but *personal* because of the
high-visibility of the consequences (not that lax operation was ok
anywhere else.......).

Ron Miller  ex- Lt. USN (retired after 5 years service :-)

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (ATW)) (04/19/89)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (ATW))

>From: Ron Miller <hp-lsd!hplabs!hpfcla!hpfcmr!ron>
>
>Minor point but personally important, Enlisted Nukes usually had some
>college background (which far exceeded the "average sailor"). Officer
>Nukes, all had to be college grads and generally were math, science or
>engineering grads.

What is the "normal" career path for "nuke" officers? Are they in line
to command boats/ships? or do they end up in R+D commands?

Ted Kim                           ARPAnet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science Department  UUCP:    ...!ucbvax!cs.ucla.edu!tek
3804C Boelter Hall                PHONE:   (213) 206-8696
Los Angeles, CA 90024             ESPnet:  tek@ouija.board