[sci.military] Submarines and Drilling Platforms

dfkling@june.cs.washington.edu (Dean F. Kling) (04/21/89)

From: dfkling@june.cs.washington.edu (Dean F. Kling)

In article <5760@cbnews.ATT.COM>, talon@blake.acs.washington.edu (Steve Hamblin) writes:
> From: talon@blake.acs.washington.edu (Steve Hamblin)
>
> Federal and State officals are considering the possible release of
> oil leases off the coast of the Olympic Penninsula in Washington
> State. This would lead to the placement of drilling platforms in
> the vicinity of the Straights of Juan de Fuca.
>
> Submarines stationed at Bangor must travel through the Straights
> to get to the ocean.
>
> [My question]
>
> Do offshore drilling platforms provide a sonar "shadow" significant
> enough to hide a Soviet submarine?
>
> If so, it would appear that we will be creating a nice set of
> listening stations for the Soviets to keep track of what we have
> going out to sea.
>
> Does this raise any eyebrows?

  Not really, for a couple of reasons.  Drilling platforms are like
any other loud point-source (e.g. merchants, trawlers, fish-processers
and the like) in the ocean, save they don't move around and can be
accurately charted.  A good skipper will consider their potential to
shield himself or a potential adversary, they are just one more
factor to consider when evaluating your passive sonar effectiveness.
  Also, the mouth of the Straight of Juan de Fuca is *big*, (even
considering the U.S. half).  The oil platforms would be dozens of
miles away.

				Dean F. Kling

dfkling@cs.washington.edu