[sci.military] Incredible claims regarding Soviet "death ray"

fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (04/21/89)

From: fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

In article <5765@cbnews.ATT.COM>, jon@june.cs.washington.edu (Jon Jacky) writes:

> I find the claims made regarding an *operational* X-ray laser weapon in the
> Soviet ABM system incredible.  I just don't believe this.  Please provide
> references to a source that we can look up to confirm this story.  I am even
> a bit surprised that the moderator let this pass without comment.
>
> Last I heard, the X-ray laser had lost a lot of its lustre in the United
> States, and was no longer regarded as promising a practical weapon for
> the near to middle future.  The x-ray laser phenomenon was apparently
> demonstrated in some underground nuclear tests, but it was also claimed that
> the brightness of the laser was initially greatly overestimated due to
> equipment problems.

A recent Scientific American article (cover article?) described a type
of xray laser that didn't require a nuclear device to pump it.

Something on the order of vaporizing a metal foil with a large charge
of electrical current.  (Sorry, I just scanned the article while waiting
for my wife to finish some shopping.)