[sci.military] Libyan bombers

pv04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Philip Verdieck) (04/11/89)

From: Philip Verdieck <pv04+@andrew.cmu.edu>
I have read articles that the Russians recently sold 14 or 15
long-range bombers to Libya. Does anybody know whether these
were Badgers or Backfires? (I would assume the former). The
article also said that they couldn't reach Israel without
refueling. I seriously doubt the Libyans have Air-Air refueling
capabilities.

Also, combined with the chemical weapons/production plant that is
now in Libya, can Libya construct/buy delivery systems for these weapons?

I recall discussing how the proliferation of missile delivery system
technology wil make the Mideast a much hotter place, (not on this
bboard) and wonder just what adjustments we might have to make when
we go cruising 'round the Med.
--
ARPA  : Philip.Verdieck@andrew.cmu.edu  |   Carnegie-Mellon University
        PV04+@andrew.cmu.edu            |   Do not attend this college

schvland@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Jeffrey Schavland) (04/14/89)

From: schvland@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Jeffrey Schavland)

In article <5548@cbnews.ATT.COM> pv04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Philip Verdieck) writes:

>From: Philip Verdieck <pv04+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>I have read articles that the Russians recently sold 14 or 15
>long-range bombers to Libya. Does anybody know whether these
>were Badgers or Backfires? (I would assume the former). The
>article also said that they couldn't reach Israel without
>refueling. I seriously doubt the Libyans have Air-Air refueling
>capabilities.

I believe that the "bombers" in question are Fencers.  It's not really a big
deal whether or not they can strike Israel without in-flight refueling.
What matters is that the Libyans now have an excellent delivery system for
chemical weapons.  That's what the press is going nuts about.

--
Jeffrey A. Schavland            |  Illini Space Development Society
P.O. Box 2308 - Station A       |  NSS chapter at the University of Illinois
schvland@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu    |  merely improbable lacks."
schvland@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu       |  - Dirk Gently

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) (04/14/89)

From: smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin)

In article <5548@cbnews.ATT.COM>, pv04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Philip Verdieck) writes:
} I have read articles that the Russians recently sold 14 or 15
} long-range bombers to Libya.

} The article also said that they couldn't reach Israel without
} refueling.

Reports differ on the range of those bombers.

} I seriously doubt the Libyans have Air-Air refueling
} capabilities.

In fact, they're trying to acquire it.  No one thought the Israelis
had it either, until they bombed PLO headquarters in Tunisia.

} I recall discussing how the proliferation of missile delivery system
} technology wil make the Mideast a much hotter place, (not on this
} bboard) and wonder just what adjustments we might have to make when
} we go cruising 'round the Med.

There was an article in the NY Times about that a few weeks ago.  One
point they made was that one reason the USSR is finally getting serious
about peace in the region is that some of the newer missles can reach
*them* from the Mideast.  For some reason, they found this depressing.

ted@emx.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (04/14/89)

From: ted@emx.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward)

In article <5548@cbnews.ATT.COM>, pv04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Philip Verdieck) writes:

> I have read articles that the Russians recently sold 14 or 15
> long-range bombers to Libya. Does anybody know whether these
> were Badgers or Backfires? (I would assume the former). The
> article also said that they couldn't reach Israel without
> refueling. I seriously doubt the Libyans have Air-Air refueling
> capabilities.
>
> Also, combined with the chemical weapons/production plant that is
> now in Libya, can Libya construct/buy delivery systems for these weapons?

The bombers that the Soviets have sold to Libya are Su-24 Fencers,
Not Backfires or Badgers.  The Fencer is a poor cousin to our
F-111, but according to _Jane's All the World's Aircraft_, added
an important capability to their AF.  The Backfire and Badger
(B for bombers, 2 syllable for jet) are strategic bombers, not
tactical, although they are used to carry anti-ship missiles.

Delivery systems for chemical weapons, as well nukes, are very simple
to construct.  Consider the fact that the Cesna that landed in
Red Square a while back could have had one aboard, on a timer or
altimeter.  All you need is some sort of signal to tell it to arm
and something to drop it...

Ted (ted@emx.utexas.edu)--------------------'Laugh while you can, monkey boy!'

chris@ziebmef.uucp (Chris Graham) (04/22/89)

From: chris@ziebmef.uucp (Chris Graham)
  It was on the news a few days ago that some German nitwits have been
selling air-refueling technology to the Libyans that can make some NATO
bases accessible to them.  While Libyan forces might not be threatening
by themselves they should be counted in any WW III scenario because they
just might be able to tip the scales.